IGNORED

Adam Nagy

petehinton

17 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

I have never seen such a rose-tinted post about a player. A player of his calibre ? I can’t recall one game for us where he has stood out as anything special. Physically weak, not great on the ball, and good stamina but zero intelligence in terms of how to maintain shape. 

wow

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yet he was/is essential to the shape/formation that Hungary played in the Euros. Amazing the bloke even plays professional football.

I’m judging him playing for us over 2 seasons in a team whose game plan is to not sit 11 men behind the ball and comparing his ability to what I expect a top championship midfielder to be like given that the poster I replied to suggested Nagy could play in the Prem. 

Edited by SuperRed

Good luck to the guy.  I thought he was a fantastic talent but whatever reason - style of football in the championship, managerial tactics - never really got a chance to establish himself.   To be filed away with Vilmos Seebok for me.  Really disappointed we never got the best out of him.

Adam strikes me as a man of integrity.   It's obvious his family has never settled here and that's been especially tough during covid.  I don't bear him any animosity in asking to leave.   He's doing so when his stock is high after the euros and we may still get a decent fee.   All the best Adam.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Think there seems to be a lot of people who’ve forgotten we’ve gone through/are still going through a global pandemic, and Nagy is one of many who’s living miles away from family/friends. 

he’s just had his first kid, that’s not the greatest combination. Don’t blame him for wanting out one bit

He was struggling to settle before the pandemic too.

So best for all concerned that he moves on. 

5 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Has a couple of half decent games in the Euros and thinks he's the dogs cods. Make him train with the kids.

Thinks he's Billy big nuts but he's just bang average. 

What a ridiculous post. How do you know anything? What if Pearson has told him he’s not in his plans? Even if he has decided to leave, I see that he’s never lacked effort or application. Grow up.

• Like 15

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I know Facebook isn’t a place to believe rumours but seen a couple of posts that Kalas had handed in a transfer request now . Any truth in this ?

If I had to completely guess........I would say no truth. On the basis that he was in the squad yesterday and there are one or two, at most, who post on here and seem to have a grasp of the behind the scenes stuff who would almost inevitably have posted this by now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If I had to completely guess........I would say no truth. On the basis that he was in the squad yesterday and there are one or two, at most, who post on here and seem to have a grasp of the behind the scenes stuff who would almost inevitably have posted this by now.

It’s quite possible that NP has decided he can do without Kalas and save the wages, or that Kalas has indeed asked for a move (after the publicised falling out last season) and requested it isn’t made common knowledge until it’s sorted.

NP is charged with reducing the wage bill, Kalas and probably Nagy are on decent wages and moving both on would do that.

Does anyone think the team would have been weaker if two players who represented their countries at the recent Euros had been in the starting line up yesterday?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

hope he wants to stay but would not be surprised if he has asked to leave. if he goes he will need to be replaced cant unfortunately imo trust taylor moore. dont think he is championship standard.

Since when has Taylor Moore been a midfielder?

Just now, Countryfile said:

It’s quite possible that NP has decided he can do without Kalas and save the wages, or that Kalas has indeed asked for a move (after the publicised falling out last season) and requested it isn’t made common knowledge until it’s sorted.

NP is charged with reducing the wage bill, Kalas and probably Nagy are on decent wages and moving both on would do that.

Does anyone think the team would have been weaker if two players who represented their countries at the recent Euros had been in the starting line up yesterday?

Kalas would have been similar imo (I thought Baker and Atkinson played well), Nagy would not have made us any better at all and possibly weaker based on his performances for us generally. Doesn't mean he's crap, just means he hasn't hit the heights for us and certainly hasn't provided huge value on outlay.

13 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

hope he wants to stay but would not be surprised if he has asked to leave. if he goes he will need to be replaced cant unfortunately imo trust taylor moore. dont think he is championship standard.

What ! ? what has.  taylor Moore got to do with it & you do know Nagy is a midfielder , right ? 
he doesn’t need to be replaced either , we got plenty of midfielders. 

3 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Accounts due to be published soon. I'd be amazed were they anything other than catastrophic £40-£45m loss? Net debt pushing upward of £150m.

In which case anything of value must go. Expensive liabilities we can offload, ditto.

Agreed. Although converting debts to equity will see us fine there is only so much that Lansdown can give without there being some form of cutbacks and money coming the other way. I think he's landed on his feet having Pearson to manage this part of his ownership tbh, a man who will just matter of factly say it how it is and just as importantly is seemingly happy to work within the constraints. If we can just show some patience the next 2-3 years could be Steve's most successful in a strange type of way because you can guarantee there will be plenty of clubs currently in denial who will be hitting stormier waters than us ahead and don't have a billionaire owner prepared to convert debt to share equity.

Steve may well have looked at the wages of Kalas, Nagy and Wells and asked Nigel "how much can we offload them for and how much weaker will we be without them?".

• Like 1

All true, but I wonder how much further football (possibly The Treasury) will allow what is to all intents and purposes, flouting of financial controls. Debt to equity sounds grand, as did Loan Charge Arrangements to the self-employed and look what happened when they were corrected realigned as deliberate avoidance.

Only the deluded imagine SL believes he will ever be repaid any loans or equity investments in full. It may not technically be 'cheating; In spirit it is.

13 hours ago, Marco the red said:

The point is he SHOULD be a sitter for us. City have used him as a CAM and a wide attacker FFS he has been woefully managed by multiple managers.

Really though one this….we haven’t really played a “sitter” since he got injured….we didn’t really play one in his first game and a half for us….it was already a midfield alongside Brownhill and Palmer.

Lots of two sided questions:

Has he adapted / should we have played more like Hungary?

Did he take his chances in different central midfield roles / did we expect him to do well in unfamiliar roles?  Was he really expected to be so one-dimensional?

etc

Its not a one sided argument, failures on both sides imho.  Ultimately he hasn’t hit the levels with any consistency.  Overall it’s a poor recruit because we haven’t got the best out of him, but nor has he excelled or contributed enough either.

He’s only played wide a couple of times, Pearson just trying to get through the season with whatever he had available to him. The vast majority of games hes played CM in various roles.

315D56B9-2DD0-4329-AF14-5B1489C4BAD0.thumb.jpeg.f22fe999d9f0924fe2db51f1584cb4e2.jpeg

6 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Dave we had a long discussion about Nagy earlier in the summer, especially anout positions etc. 

When picked for us he's played in the roles that have been asked of him by managers who seemingly want to play him here there and everywhere. 

Personally I think he can and probably would excel in a more forward 3 and we've had that discussion too. 

However here we are with his place in the team being taken over by someone who's 30 plus and not played Champs football in donkeys

It marks the 3rd successive manager who's tried to square peg, round hole or left him out completely. 

A few have mentioned bit part elsewhere  Nagy came through at a similar age to HNM at Ferencvaros and then went to Bologna in Serie A to carry on learning. (being a similar age to Vyner at Aberdeen etc there, but clearly at a much higher level.) 

We've literally been a step down for him, and not utilised the asset we have. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see him in the Prem and am absolutely dismayed as to how much we've wasted a player of his calibre. 

Think the image from transfermarkt in my post above shows that he’s been asked to play Central Midfield in the vast majority of games.

So hardly here there and everywhere!

And then you suggest playing him in ANOTHER position?

??‍♂️

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Think there seems to be a lot of people who’ve forgotten we’ve gone through/are still going through a global pandemic, and Nagy is one of many who’s living miles away from family/friends. 

he’s just had his first kid, that’s not the greatest combination. Don’t blame him for wanting out one bit

Yep, and a valid reason he wants to leave….no arguments at all from me on that score.

But most of us are discussing his ability on the pitch.  If his outside world is having that big an impact on his playing performances, then it was a bad recruit from us and a poor decision to come here from us.  But on alleged £16-18k p.w you might see the motivation???

Ultimately he’s an okay CM in the Championship, technically decent on the ball, great stamina, ill-disciplined off the ball on occasion and weak in the tackle.  He has admitted himself he hasn’t settled.

Hopefully we will sell him on for favourable financial returns….but i genuinely don’t see us releasing much for a striker from this deal.

Asset Value £750k….so only anything over this amount will really help.

Plus will be take a wage cut?  Can’t see many clubs in Europe wanting to pick up that on top of a fee.

Over to you Richard Gould….try and rescue some money from your predecessor!

I like him and think his type of player could be an asset to our side , NP sees it differently . We would hopefully get over a million so a chance to get him off the wage bill and invest in a striker . We have far too many midfielders . If he doesn’t want to be here then ASAP  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Dave, you've long argued for him playing DM. Your pictogram shows he's played more for us in anything other than that position by 30 odd games or so. 

Not sure how that supports your discussion, when it counters your own long held argument about where he should play. 

Confused. 

No, I argue that he plays as a holding midfielder for Hungary, sat in front of the defence and used to screen a bit, but also in early phases of possession (not that they are a possession-rich team)…that it might be his best chance of succeeding here.

Transfermarkt uses DM and CM defending on formation, so might get given DM in a 4231, but CM in a 352, taken not too much interest in the role.  Pirlo is a DM as is Kante, but both perform it very differently.  What I’m saying is he’s played 54 times in “central midfield”….which is his natural position….but might depend on role given to him.

Personally I don’t care where he plays if he plays well.  Irrespective of position and / or role he hasn’t reached the levels required for Bristol City enough, nor has he consistently reached the kinda levels he has for Hungary….at least the games we’ve seen at international level since he arrived here….because I’d be amazed if more than 2 people on OTIB has genuinely heard of him before he came here.

Happy to explain further if required.