IGNORED

Style of Play

Super

I do hope that long balls to Martin aren't what we are going to see this season. Far too much of it today and whilst Atkinson and Baker did well defensively both were guilty of aimless punts forward. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

I do hope that long balls to Martin aren't what we are going to see this season. Far too much of it today and whilst Atkinson and Baker did well defensively both were guilty of aimless punts forward. 

Poor movement in midfield. We are guilty of it it seems, regardless of manager or cm’s. 
Thats where the lumping comes from. 
Didnt think we had a style as such today. Time will tell!

Just now, Super said:

Did you notice the passing combinations between Atkinson, Dasilva and James where we very impressively played out of some very tight situations? Nah, thought not.

Clearly the team have been asked to play forward rather than going back, "resetting" and losing the ball 40 yards further back than we would like to because we haven't got the players to do it. That means sometimes we will play some nice stuff, such as the play you may have missed above, and other times we will play longer rather than go back to the keeper.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Did you notice the passing combinations between Atkinson, Dasilva and James where we very impressively played out of some very tight situations? Nah, thought not.

Clearly the team have been asked to play forward rather than going back, "resetting" and losing the ball 40 yards further back than we would like to because we haven't got the players to do it. That means sometimes we will play some nice stuff, such as the play you may have missed above, and other times we will play longer rather than go back to the keeper.

My point was that there were too many long balls. Martin did well in fairness but lost count amount of times he flicked ball on to nobody. Some play was actually ok i agree.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I’m the first to whinge with aimless long punts but I don’t remember seeing any today so I must have been watching a different game to you. 

3 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Unfortunately James and king look like workhorses who will bring physicality and half decent decision making.

We have very little creativity, runners in behind or pace.

Desperately need to find a way of getting wells and Martin in the same team.

The point is today's team is not the team set in stone for the next 45 matches. We are not even at the end of the transfer window yet so our squad isn't even set in stone. I think anyone with a football brain realises we are a work in progress (and I accept NP has to make genuine progress over the course of the season, that's his job) and really ought to be prepared to give the players and management a bit of time.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

My point was that there were too many long balls. Martin did well in fairness but lost count amount of times he flicked ball on to nobody. Some play was actually ok i agree.

Similar to the thread of many comments tonight I think it will take time to get the style of play to the "right" balance. The overriding point for me is that when we do get it right what could be seen is that we will be very much playing forwards and very little of the backwards and sideways stuff we have been used to for a number of years.

Get to 50 points and then start to worry about style of play.

In fairness, Nige has been pretty honest. He's alluded to the fact he doesn't like passing the ball for passing's sake. He wants us to be aggressive, direct, fit, and create chances. 

I don't care what anyone says, fans want winning football, and as long as he delivers on that the fans will remain onside this season. 

35 minutes ago, Super said:

We were only guilty of that for the last 20 minutes when we lost control of the midfield and were looking a bit leggy. Prior to that there had been some great passing moves throughout the team but particularly from the back.

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

really ought to be prepared to give the players and management a bit of time.

This is the problem with too many younger supporters who think the real game is an internet game like Football Manager or something. 
Instant gratification, endless wads of cash, a better player always available and no FFP. 

Maybe - if they stick around long enough and not go glory hunting elsewhere, they might get a clue or two of how life really works ?

52 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Unfortunately James and king look like workhorses who will bring physicality and half decent decision making.

We have very little creativity, runners in behind or pace.

Desperately need to find a way of getting wells and Martin in the same team.

I think King is a player who will grow on people once they "get him". Great cross for the goal today.

58 minutes ago, Super said:

I thought Scott tried to get the runs in behind when Martin won the flicks. Someone who I thought should have offered more today with his pace off Martin flicks was Weimann, I thought he was one of worst players today, not sure what he offered today. 

56 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

This is the problem with too many younger supporters who think the real game is an internet game like Football Manager or something. 
Instant gratification, endless wads of cash, a better player always available and no FFP. 

Maybe - if they stick around long enough and not go glory hunting elsewhere, they might get a clue or two of how life really works ?

Unfortunately this is very true. I've been watching City regularly since the late 80's and i can only really remember 4 or 5 seasons where the football was consistantly exciting and i went in to games thinking we were going to win!

Its part of the strange enjoyment of supporting a team like City. Fans of Brighton, Burnley and Bournemouth will all have thought the same over the last 40 years but they got there shot in The Prem and hopefully we will too soon

Was a shame COD went off so early and he's one of the few players we have who can make runs in behind. 

Imagine we will be looking to get that type of player in on loan before the window shuts. 

I watched a lot of Pearsons Watford side and they certainly weren't a long ball side. I personally enjoyed watching them play.

From what I see he's looking to make us safe and solid first and then once he feels he has achieved that will focus more on our attacking play. 

Archived