IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Taking The Knee (Merged)

Redandproud

18 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

I can’t see what it achieves now. What I’d like to see is a team actually walk off and not come back out next time a player is racially abused. Actions speak louder than any strongly condemning press statement ever will. Managers need to take that decision away from the players and make a stand but so far none have been bold enough. They would have my backing even if I’d driven 4 hours to watch the game. 

I've heard the it doesn't achieve anything argument a few times but does it need to achieve anything? It's a message, a symbol, an expression of how people feel.

So is the booing, by the way, so that is also a legitimate use of free speech. The only thing is that you can't help but wonder if some of the people booing are just a bit racist.

Maybe if fans oppose the knee, but for non racist reasons, they should find a different way to communicate that?

21 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Before Bristol City's Championship fixture against Blackpool, a minority in attendance booed the players taking the knee. This statement is the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust’s response, which has also been shared on our Facebook & Twitter pages: http://bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-taking-the-knee

Please feel free to share; and

Haven't bothered checking this as it's probably just a knee-jerk reaction.

10 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Was the kneeling for Hatun Tash or other victims of prejudice or because a minsiscule number of ******** out of tens of millions sent tweets to players during the Euros is proof this needs to be done for ever?

They have literally told you what it is for. 

y24T9As.jpg

Any form of discrimination would include whatever discrimination you want to highlight. 

Although I suspect you don't actually care about Hatun Tash or other forms of discrimination. All you care about is the weird "BLM MARXIST DEFUND POLICE ANTIFA" fixation that lodged itself into your head.

17 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Before Bristol City's Championship fixture against Blackpool, a minority in attendance booed the players taking the knee. This statement is the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust’s response, which has also been shared on our Facebook & Twitter pages: http://bristolcitysupporters.org/statement-taking-the-knee

Please feel free to share; and

The supporters trust should be engaging with supporters rather than labelling fans actions and therefore fans racist. Anti racist Bristol City fans can be anti BLM and are.  

Christ knows we don't need another long discussion about this but I wish supporters could just support the bloody team. If you don't agree with taking the knee, that's your business. But, unless you're personally being asked to kneel yourself, then it's also irrelevant. It's perfectly possible to ignore something you disagree with rather than booing your own players. And the fact that, after 500-odd days away, the first thing some fans choose to do is start booing people is just a little bit embarrassing for them rather than everyone else.

As others have said, it's only a small minority but it's a shame they feel the need to draw attention to themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The supporters trust should be engaging with supporters rather than labelling fans actions and therefore fans racist. Anti racist Bristol City fans can be anti BLM and are.  

Supporters trust criticise the fans who boo their own players before a ball is kicked in the new season. Don't see a problem with that

32 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Even if someone doesnt agree with it?

There's lots of things in this life I disagree with. But most of us enough self-control to be able to disagree with something without the need to start booing. It's just needy attention-seeking from a small minority. 

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's not going to stop while people keep booing. 

I genuinely think the kneeling would have fizzled out if the idiots stopped booing their own players.  

Precisely this. 

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Supporters trust criticise the fans who boo their own players before a ball is kicked in the new season. Don't see a problem with that

Fans booed an act not the players? True or false? The whys ? Racist impact? How could you know?

You cannot truly answer the above without thorough engagement with supporters and neither can the supporters trust. 

They have put the statement on Twitter with no opportunity to comment and put some perspective on how few people this was.

Well done - now everybody who reads it will just presume the whole fan base is racist.

Just couldn’t wait to put your elitist status out there could you? I bet you were all on WhatsApp last night putting words together and getting aroused as your self importance grew. Jokers ?

38 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Even if someone doesnt agree with it?

I don't think everybody should have to applaud it. Those that disagree have the option of shutting the **** up for the 3 seconds that the players perform their anti discrimination gesture.

If, after the reasons have been explained countless times, they want to actively boo, then they are either utterly stupid and/or are in support of discrimination. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Fans booed an act not the players? True or false? The whys ? Racist impact? How could you know?

You cannot truly answer the above without thorough engagement with supporters and neither can the supporters trust. 

This isn't the politics board and there's a whole 48 pages on this here if you want it:

However the idea that someone booing the players isn't actually someone booing the players because really they are just booing an action by the players and that isn't really booing the players at all is nonsensical Orwellian Doublespeak. If someone is booing the players taking the knee, they are booing the players. End of. 

I really hope the Supporters Trust spend their time engaging with actual supporters and not a small minority of attention seekers. The statement is out now, that's done. I hope the booers reflect on why they feel the need to try to make themselves the centre of attention and that everyone else moves on. 

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just imagine how insecure you must be to be triggered by a group of footballers making a gesture to show that they’re against racism.

Just imagine the mental gymnastics you have to do to justify the booing on the basis that the footballers are Marxist.

Just imagine being proud to live in a country with free speech and then booing when someone invoked theirs in a non violent or aggressive way.

Just imagine. 

Luckily, about 99% of people applauded. But just imagine living in the heads and lives of the booers. It’s got to be exhausting living in such a place.

Bang on. Well put. 

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Haven't bothered checking this as it's probably just a knee-jerk reaction.

Getting on one knee has been the best show in many years across all sporting codes. The gesture is now getting a bit old in the tooth for me. 

Racial inequality all players and we are all aware of.

It was first carried out in America in 2016 at an America football match and no not football as we know it but blokes with helmets on throwing rugby balls and it was also raised in regards to racial inequity and police brutality .

Time now I think that now we are educated on this issue but we need to realy move on.

7 minutes ago, Meh said:

They have put the statement on Twitter with no opportunity to comment and put some perspective on how few people this was.

Well done - now everybody who reads it will just presume the whole fan base is racist.

Just couldn’t wait to put your elitist status out there could you? I bet you were all on WhatsApp last night putting words together and getting aroused as your self importance grew. Jokers ?

Exactly. Its knee jerk. The Supporters trust in their haste to signal their virtue have maligned Bristol City fans as racist. Its also ignorant and stupid.

Just a shame we still have a certain amount of our fan base who are either racist or just very small minded or both and can’t accept the purpose behind the action of taking the knee. It was clear to hear the boos that rang out but fortunately the majority drowned it out very quickly. Just disappoints me that it happened in the first place

Archived