IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Taking The Knee (Merged)

Redandproud

I go to the football for enjoyment (hopefully) entertainment and recreation. I do not go to watch a party political broadcast on behalf of BLM or indeed any other organisation. It is ridiculous for the players and media  to claim that taking the knee is nothing to do with BLM when the gesture is indelibly linked to that particular organisation. I am sure that the majority of those that boo are not racist but simply do not wish to be associated with the BLM agenda of defunding the police, ending capitalism etc.

Wouldn’t boo or clap, said it was American Tokenism at the start of the campaign. 45% increase in racist posting on social media over the last 12 months tends to support a view that the gesture achieves the complete opposite to what is required. 

Maybe doing something tangible - on all sides, not just black/white but all the diverse communities that exist on our small, over-populated island - to ensure greater trust of each other, demonstrate common value systems, principles and goals to make our hopelessly divided and broken society better, would be a more valuable use of time.

That takes real effort and brain power to undo our politicians mistakes of the last 60 plus years … so might as well continue to gesture and hope things get better by luck. 

5 minutes ago, Redland said:

I go to the football for enjoyment (hopefully) entertainment and recreation. I do not go to watch a party political broadcast on behalf of BLM or indeed any other organisation. It is ridiculous for the players and media  to claim that taking the knee is nothing to do with BLM when the gesture is indelibly linked to that particular organisation. I am sure that the majority of those that boo are not racist but simply do not wish to be associated with the BLM agenda of defunding the police, ending capitalism etc.

There were about 8 people booing.

Huge part building going on in this thread!

The OB called Bristol City fans far right and hundreds came out to protest against that now the supporters trust are doing it. Madness!! Supporters trust should be apolitical instead of putting out statements saying City fans are racists and sowing division because some fans black and white think taking the knee is wrong for all kinds of reasons that are not racist.

52 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've heard the it doesn't achieve anything argument a few times but does it need to achieve anything? It's a message, a symbol, an expression of how people feel.

So is the booing, by the way, so that is also a legitimate use of free speech. The only thing is that you can't help but wonder if some of the people booing are just a bit racist.

Maybe if fans oppose the knee, but for non racist reasons, they should find a different way to communicate that?

There's to that word again"RACISTS", Im not, but I think it's gone on long enough, 2yrs, and it happened in America not here, how much longer does it go on, 

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

There were about 8 people booing.

Huge part building going on in this thread!

Sorry but that's bollocks, it was very quickly drowned out but there were significantly more people than that in section 82 booing, it was able to be clearly heard from the the block next to it until it was quickly drowned out by applause. 

2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Sorry but that's bollocks, it was very quickly drowned out but there were significantly more people than that in section 82 booing, it was able to be clearly heard from the the block next to it until it was quickly drowned out by applause. 

Give me a number then. Of the total crowd how many people were booing? I’d suggest a self-important next to no-one. 

33 minutes ago, Redland said:

No one is asking you to take a knee, so how are you looking on watching associated with it?  Are MI5 videoing the crowd for potential BLM subversives.  (They're the ones that don't boo, but you know that right?)

I don't agree with the Royal family as an institution (feel sorry for the ***** lumbered with the job actually) but I don't feel the need to boo the National Anthem whenever I hear it.  I don't feel associated with institution of the Royal family because their theme tune has penetrated my eardrums!!

The players have said it is not a political statement in any way, so why are you and others so determined to believe otherwise?   What other areas of your life do you so doggedly fail to believe what some one has told you? 

And if you are so offended by the players continuing then why support the players for the rest of the match? Isn't that hypocritical if you think they are all fifth columnists for BLM and intent in corrupting us poor naive supporters?  

Why not **** off somewhere else on a Saturday if you are so easily offended?

Truly pathetic.

30 minutes ago, Redland said:

The gesture is not BLM owned, it pre-dates BLM by a very long way. MLK did it in the 60's, in its modern form it was started as an anti-discrimination gesture in sport by Colin Kaepernick, not linked to any BLM organisation. This has been explained countless times.

BLM is far more complex than you are presenting it. It started as a hashtag following the murder of Black people by police officers. It's then been picked up as a slogan and also by various political groups. There is no "BLM" organisation, there are many groups that use the name. Again, this has been explained countless times.

Bristol City (and England) have explained why they are doing it. They have confirmed it is not in support of any political groups.

Do you think they are lying? That the England football team want to end capitalism? That Bristol City want to defund the police?

Seriously?

54 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Just a shame we still have a certain amount of our fan base who are either racist or just very small minded or both and can’t accept the purpose behind the action of taking the knee. It was clear to hear the boos that rang out but fortunately the majority drowned it out very quickly. Just disappoints me that it happened in the first place

Because people have a different view than you they are racist or small minded ?, and perhaps they are clear of the purpose of taking the knee, that's why they boo!!

Just now, Busterrimes said:

My reasoning is I don’t believe it to be effective. The longer it goes on the less people take notice. Personally I believe that it has now lost its impact. 

I must admit, I thought it may have had it's time and needed something else, specially when QPR made a very public move away from the "Knee" . But probably because of the booing , and because it's had a little rebrand by doing it around the centre circle, and of course very little has changed. Maybe it does need to carry on.  Whatever the players reasons for taking the knee, and there are plenty, I don't get people wanting to boo their own players. Even if it was political , which it isn't , I don't go around booing people I know that have different political ideas to me, however wrong they may be.

15 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

No one is asking you to take a knee, so how are you looking on watching associated with it?  Are MI5 videoing the crowd for potential BLM subversives.  (They're the ones that don't boo, but you know that right?)

I don't agree with the Royal family as an institution (feel sorry for the ***** lumbered with the job actually) but I don't feel the need to boo the National Anthem whenever I hear it.  I don't feel associated with institution of the Royal family because their theme tune has penetrated my eardrums!!

The players have said it is not a political statement in any way, so why are you and others so determined to believe otherwise?   What other areas of your life do you so doggedly fail to believe what some one has told you? 

And if you are so offended by the players continuing then why support the players for the rest of the match? Isn't that hypocritical if you think they are all fifth columnists for BLM and intent in corrupting us poor naive supporters?  

Why not **** off somewhere else on a Saturday if you are so easily offended?

Truly pathetic.

This I agree with (not necessarily all the points but the general sentiment). If you don't like the players taking the knee just look the other way or something. Not to upset the "boo'ers" or anything but to be honest you could barely be heard. Pointless reaction. I think the gesture is being dumbed down a bit now tbh and the real issues of actual racism need to be tackled robustly with hefty fines and prison sentences over making gestures against them but my reaction to that is to neither applaud nor boo the knee taking. The players we support want to do it for their own reasons, let them get on with it.

1 minute ago, redcard said:

Because people have a different view than you they are racist or small minded ?, and perhaps they are clear of the purpose of taking the knee, that's why they boo!!

The purpose has been explained about 5,000 times and even in a statement from the club in the specific case of City.

If you still boo you are either too stupid to understand or against the message of anti-discrimination. It’s not about having a different view it’s about understanding something very basic.

3 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

My reasoning is I don’t believe it to be effective. The longer it goes on the less people take notice. Personally I believe that it has now lost its impact. 

All of that is clearly not true, other than possibly the effectiveness.

It's noticed every single time by the meatheads and/or racists that boo.

And the many lengthy threads here and on every other football forum shows it hasn't lost its impact.

But let's assume you are right and less people are noticing and it has no impact. So what? Why is that a reason for the players to stop doing a gesture, that they want to do, for a couple of seconds?

It doesn’t matter what anybody’s personal views on the gesture of kneeling is!

The important thing is that the players WANT to do it to highlight the scourge of racism within football and to that end EVERYONE should support it.

37 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

There's to that word again"RACISTS", Im not, but I think it's gone on long enough, 2yrs, and it happened in America not here, how much longer does it go on, 

If you'd actually bothered to read the statement you'd claimed you had you'd know the taking of the knee is about ongoing racial discrimination, injustice etc not a singular event. Unless you're suggesting there is no racial discrimination and injustice in the UK and its just in America?

Booing the players taking the knee will only fuel their stance of taking it in the first place, anyone booing the players taking the knee is only ensuring it goes on longer.

2 minutes ago, redcard said:

Have their own agenda about what taking the knee means and ignore anything contrary to what they believe despite what they are told and the evidence.  Maybe not small-minded, but almost a textbook definition of bigoted. 

5 minutes ago, redcard said:

We are all clear on the purpose of taking the knee. The club and players have told us, countless times!

Are you saying the players are lying? Or do you think football clubs, football players, the FA and everybody else has been fooled by some shadowy forces that are plotting to take over the world through the power of sports people kneeling for a few seconds?

Because that's bloody insane.

Really the boo-ers should be booing themselves.

If they really believe taking the knee is supporting defunding the police, Marxism and all that jazz. As Bristol City as a club and the players support it, why are they attending matches and funding such an organisation? BOOOO!

Anyway, as has been mentioned, it was very much a minority so let’s just hope it dwindles away.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's face it, any booing was totally drowned out by applause.

Those who boo think they represent the "silent majority" in this country. Events like yesterday, show they are in fact just a dopey minority - and a tiny minority at that. 

It's crazy that the overwhelmingly huge majority of people in this country which means the vast majority of people who vote Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems, Green whoever can accept that the players are not being supportive of the BLM Political Movement. It would be some coincidence if the tiny minority of people that support the BLM Political Organisation all happen to be professional footballers!!

As you say it just leaves you with an incredibly tiny minority of people who are so triggered by the action of taking the knee that they have no other option available to them other than to PUBLICALLY boo it vigorously. If you are that "principled" on the matter then it does have to be questioned what your "principles" actually entail.

Archived