IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Taking The Knee (Merged)

Redandproud

3 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Didn’t boo, didn’t clap but what I don’t get is how someone can say that the kneeling isn’t linked to BLM “because they stated it isn’t” and is accepted, yet when people choose to boo it can’t be accepted that it’s not racist “because they stated it isn’t and that it’s because they don’t agree with this gesture in particular” it’s not. I like most others never agree with racism. The hypocrisy on people’s choices on the other hand is should not be encouraged either.

I don't think anybody has said that everyone who boos is racist, so that argument doesn't work.

Also, we have an actual statement from the club that states exactly why they are taking the knee. I've yet to see a statement from every single booer that states their reasons.

6 hours ago, Redandproud said:

So who booed at the taking  the knee, quite a few did, do you think this should end now,

We sit in the lower Lansdown and couldn’t hear any booing, when they players took the knee. 

Even if a few mindless idiots did choose to boo, why would that make them want to stop?

COYR.

58 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

And here you are again with nothing to add except to attack me.

Odd how you find racism boring and that you couldn't care less. And yet here you are, reading and posting in a thread about it. You know what I do with threads I find boring or that I couldn't care less about? I ignore them, try it some time.

I find it amusing how a few people get hot under the collar about a nonsense subject. 

You need to get a life!

6 minutes ago, swanker said:

I find it amusing how a few people get hot under the collar about a nonsense subject. 

You need to get a life!

I'm not hot under the collar.

To describe racism/anti-racism as a nonsense subject says a lot about you though.

I need to get a life? I have a life, thank you. I am not the one going into threads about "nonsense" subjects just to troll somebody.

I think deep down you know what sort of person you are, your chosen username gives that away. Why not do something to make yourself happier, rather than just lashing out at people? 

I am not replying to you again in this thread btw. Your repeated trolling fills me with pity for you, I am not going to keep enabling it. 

I think the knee gesture has been over used that it is almost meaningless. Let me explain, the reason why they did it is of course important. Racism obviously should not be a part of anyone’s job, or lives.

But right now players warm up, come out for the match, take the knee and the game kicks off. It’s become routine, just something they do before the match. I don’t know what can be done to add to the gesture.

Bristol Bears don’t take the knee but stand it a formation that is heart shaped. I think that looked more professional and respectful. Maybe yesterday when the players were all in a line together it seemed to have more meaning of togetherness. Usually they are in their positions just waiting for kick off and it seems just a quick gesture, something they have to do.

Personally of course I didn’t boo, but I didn’t clap either. The Supporters Trust have drawn attention to this and I think that will have a negative impact. The people that booed have got the attention and will possibly do it more. They won’t like to be told by some people, with no authority as far as they are concerned, what they can or can’t do. 

Maybe ive been lucky but it’s been years and years since I’ve heard racial abuse at AG. We’ve got our house in order, please don’t take a backwards step.

27 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Racism is a "nothing issue"? Wow

Two threads and similar comment.

Are you 100% sure that anybody booing is a racist and there can be no other explanation? I do hope so otherwise you are falsely labelling people and that can have big consequences. 

Thank god you said it.

1 hour ago, Totterdown's Finest said:

Martin Luther King "took the knee" in 1965, prior to his sentencing for "parading without a permit". So, I think it was resurrected by sportsmen in more recent times. untitled-design-18.png.c76fe1d1c9478f6455012c198eacc8a6.png

I'm not here to argue, as there are a lot more educated folk on this site than me, they could explain Marxism just like reading it from a book, now that's smart!

MLK i think was praying at that time not using the knee as a gesture, although it may have started the pose to be used in later years.

The knee pose in more recent times was a symbol of an American police officer wrongly kneeling on George Floyds neck causing his death. That is my view why the knee was used by the BLM.  That in turn is why some are still against this action, because like it or not people have different views.

35 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Yes, it's the wording perhaps. People assume it means just getting rid of police.

That and it's almost entirely a US thing based on the fact that US police are called out to deal with everything without proper training (especially mental health awareness) so end up drawing weapons as its the easiest option. 

8 minutes ago, redcard said:

The knee pose in more recent times was a symbol of an American police officer wrongly kneeling on George Floyds neck causing his death. That is my view why the knee was used by the BLM.  That in turn is why some are still against this action, because like it or not people have different views.

No it wasn't. Kneeling (in the modern sense) in sport pre-dates George Floyd's death by a few years.

As you brought up MLK, here's what his daughter had to say the day after Floyd was murdered.

As that tweet proves, taking the knee for racial justice pre-dates any of the George Floyd protests. 

9 minutes ago, redcard said:

Well those that have different views need to get educated, because BLM, Floyd, Marxism have NOTHING to do with why players are taking this stance.

• The title was changed to Supporters Club & Trust Statement: Taking The Knee (Merged)
3 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

And once they do get educated as to why footballers are doing this, and still boo, then they are just plain racists.

Most people know why the footballers are taking the knee, the issue here is this pose, coming together around the centre circle, holding hands. putting hands together anything other than taking the knee would stop all the booing. Would you, accept another form of stance/pose to fight against discrimination?? or is it that important to kneel?

36 minutes ago, redcard said:

I'm not here to argue, as there are a lot more educated folk on this site than me, they could explain Marxism just like reading it from a book, now that's smart!

MLK i think was praying at that time not using the knee as a gesture, although it may have started the pose to be used in later years.

On your first comment about MLK praying, that's precisely the point though: when Colin Kaepernick first knelt he was very clear that he'd chosen that gesture because it was a respectful gesture. It's associated with prayer, with genuflection, with marriage proposal and so on. He chose that, rather than salutes or turning his back or walking out precisely because it came from that place.

And whoever and however its been used since, it's his gesture as a sportsman that is the context for it being used by sportsman still today - that's the context, not BLM. (As the players statement confirmed).

2 minutes ago, redcard said:

Most people know why the footballers are taking the knee, the issue here is this pose, coming together around the centre circle, holding hands. putting hands together anything other than taking the knee would stop all the booing. Would you, accept another form of stance/pose to fight against discrimination?? or is it that important to kneel?

But why should the players change what they are doing to placate a tiny minority of attention seekers? The vast majority of fans either applauded or stood silently through the kneeling. The players have explained on countless occasions why they are kneeling. and, as you say, people know why they are doing it. Why should the players change what they are doing in order to satiate a small number of people who do not represent the majority of fans but who demand the right to shout until they get what they want.

I don't think it is necessarily important to kneel. But I do think it important not to give in to bullies or to send out the message that a small minority of the supporters can get what they want just by throwing a tantrum. 

6 minutes ago, redcard said:

Whatever stance the footballers choose should be fine with all fans that are not racist.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Two threads and similar comment.

Are you 100% sure that anybody booing is a racist and there can be no other explanation? I do hope so otherwise you are falsely labelling people and that can have big consequences. 

Thank god you said it.

I keep seeing posters making this argument. I don't think the supporters in question are anywhere near as naive, foolish or unworldly as you seem to think.

Unless they have been living under a rock for the last three months then they will know that:

a) footballers have made clear on countless occasions they are kneeling to oppose racism rather than due to having suddenly developed a solidarity with Marxism. 

b) that the people who boo those taking the knee are widely perceived by footballers, fans and the media as racists.

I don't actually think most of the people who boo taking the knee are racist BUT I do think they have knowingly decided to take the action in the full knowledge that many fans and many players will perceive that action as racist. And I think it's a bit disingenuous for anyone to then turn around and say "how dare people react in the exact way that I knew people were going to react when I took this action". 

And the bottom line is that I personally - and I suspect I am not alone in this - couldn't really give a toss whether the people doing the booing are racist or not. What I know is that they are booing our own players, that they are reacting to an anti-racism statement in a way that will potentially make many of our black fans and players uncomfortable and that - even though they are in a minority - they seem to think the players have to pander to what they want. Racist or not, the booing is pathetic, immature attention seeking and a small section of fans demanding that everyone rolls over and does what they want. I can't be arsed with finding out what their motives are and giving the little diddumses a cuddle and kissing it all better. I don't personally think we should be giving them anywhere near as much attention as they are getting already.. They've taken a decision to boo and they have to to be grown-ups and face the consequences. 

4 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Yes it is,that's where taking the knee started,The  George Floyd story

Please do yourself a favour and read up why footballers are taking this stance. It’ll make you look less stupid when answering on this topic in the future.

23 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Yes it is,that's where taking the knee started,The  George Floyd story

No it wasn't. Kneeling (in the modern sense) in sport pre-dates George Floyd's death by a few years.

Here's what MLK's daughter had to say the day after Floyd was murdered.

As that tweet proves, taking the knee for racial justice pre-dates any of the George Floyd protests. 

15 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Please do yourself a favour and read up why footballers are taking this stance. It’ll make you look less stupid when answering on this topic in the future.

Once again make a comment,get abused  because someone doesn't agree , footballers never took the knee before the George Floyd story

2 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Once again make a comment,get abused  because someone doesn't agree , footballers never took the knee before the George Floyd story

George Floyd's murder sparked a global protest against racism, that's true.

Footballers are not kneeling to him, to BLM, to Marxism or any of the other nonsense that is used as an excuse by people booing their own players.

Archived