IGNORED

24 (nearly) hours on

ohhhshauntaylor

1 minute ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

@JerrySLO can this be fed back regarding pre match music? 

Agreed. It's easy to fix.

The club have channels open to them that allow direct dialogue with fans about it - even something as simple as suggesting pre-match songs on their twitter/instagram and a few polls.

Look at what others do (ie Sunderland, Preston, Plymouth) and make the playlist more accessible to fans. Put it on Spotify. Make sure it's uniquely ours - have some known City songs (ie Wurzels), some that celebrate Bristol (ie Massive Attack or even Roni Size) and then a few natural up tempo dance or rock atmosphere builders (previously we've used "Slam" by Pendulum or "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse that were inspired choices). 

Something else I'd like to see them do is feature a couple of local bands for some of the half time music. One thing Sunderland do which I disagree with is have some TikTok famous pop tracks at half time. That's the only weak part of the playlist. Use that dead time when people are concentrating on having a chat or buying some food/going to the toilet to feature some new music - don't give yet more PRS money to Dua Lipa or Ed Sheeran.

It's just such an easy thing to get right and they're missing an opportunity by being lazy and generic. 

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. It's easy to fix.

The club have channels open to them that allow direct dialogue with fans about it - even something as simple as suggesting pre-match songs on their twitter/instagram and a few polls.

Look at what others do (ie Sunderland, Preston, Plymouth) and make the playlist more accessible to fans. Put it on Spotify. Make sure it's uniquely ours - have some known City songs (ie Wurzels), some that celebrate Bristol (ie Massive Attack or even Roni Size) and then a few natural up tempo dance or rock atmosphere builders (previously we've used "Slam" by Pendulum or "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse that were inspired choices). 

Something else I'd like to see them do is feature a couple of local bands for some of the half time music. One thing Sunderland do which I disagree with is have some TikTok famous pop tracks at half time. That's the only weak part of the playlist. Use that dead time when people are concentrating on having a chat or buying some food/going to the toilet to feature some new music - don't give yet more PRS money to Dua Lipa or Ed Sheeran.

It's just such an easy thing to get right and they're missing an opportunity by being lazy and generic. 

As others have said- the lack of a real “fan” on the media team is a miss here, hence my tagging of @JerrySLO (who we all know is a proper fan) 

Seems like an easy fix as you say, to make pre match about our team, and install these songs in the next generation of our fan base, it will also get the atmosphere going as they’re sing a long songs. 

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

As others have said- the lack of a real “fan” on the media team is a miss here, hence my tagging of @JerrySLO (who we all know is a proper fan) 

Seems like an easy fix as you say, to make pre match about our team, and install these songs in the next generation of our fan base, it will also get the atmosphere going as they’re sing a long songs. 

Yep, I think Jerry is a great appointment for the SLO role. I've said for a long time that the media team (inclusive of the DJ for the games) could do with having a few fans. Neither Dave Barton nor Ryan Morgan are City fans and I think that comes across given how often they make little gaffes on the social media. 

It's a shame we got rid of Adam Baker really. There was also no need to get rid of @Tim S as the matchday DJ. 

4 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Is there really any need for the higher or lower game, or actually, Downsey full stop? 

Not unless you're the kid involved, maybe not.  But having had my boy do it, I can tell you that for the kid, the thrill of being pitchside just heightens the excitement they feel and nails them down that little bit more as a fan.  Pitch side and a present at the end of it.  All for 2 minutes of your time that you don't have to pay attention to.   It's not there for our benefit, but for the younglings!  So on that basis, yes, there is 100% a point to it. 

Downsey on the other hand.........

On 09/08/2021 at 14:13, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, I think Jerry is a great appointment for the SLO role. I've said for a long time that the media team (inclusive of the DJ for the games) could do with having a few fans. Neither Dave Barton nor Ryan Morgan are City fans and I think that comes across given how often they make little gaffes on the social media. 

It's a shame we got rid of Adam Baker really. There was also no need to get rid of @Tim S as the matchday DJ. 

Kind of you to say mate. Yeah I miss it and have made it clear I'd love to go back or at the very least be able to help out with a few pointers from both a DJ and fan point of view. While I made the odd gaff with music choices, I like to think I got most of it right (Sean O'Driscoll wouldn't agree though!). Dave Lloyd was also very savvy at selecting certain tunes - there were times he suggested something or backed certain requests from fans that I wasn't so sure would work - but I was proved wrong when played. Knights of Cydonia is a classic example. Dave was a massive fan of the tune and insisted it be played while I wasnt sure if it would work - but it went down really well! He also loved Pendulum - Slam and was responsible for getting that played! Looking back, we worked really well together when it came to the music and put quite a bit of effort into making it sound right - hopefully it showed.

For the record, I actually think Dave Barton, despite his non-city background and coming from a previous position in Rugby, does a very good job when it comes to interviews pre or post match. Aside from him, I don't really know who else is involved in the City media team anymore so can't comment on anyone else - although the social media side of things has definitely taken a nosedive. 

Archived