IGNORED

Weimann or Semenyo [when fit]?

headhunter

27 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Pretty depressing to look at the two players we are comparing, doesn’t bring much excitement.

In honesty they are both bang average with good qualities but majorly lack any real quality. 

Then again the above can be said for 90% of the current squad. 

A lot of the Championship is made up of players who are overall average, have 1 or 2 strong bits to their game and 1 or 2 weak bits.

We do have a squad of very similar ability players.  That’s good in some ways, but bad in others, e.g. easily rotate your squad, but when you want that extra bit of quality to win a game, it’s not always there.

We have been weak(ish) in midfield for a good while.  With James, Williams and King to supplement Massengo and Bakinson, we are at least stronger in that area.

If Kalas remains here, then 2 of Kalas, Baker and Atkinson is better than Kalas and Vyner, or Kalas, Vyner and Moore.

So two spinal areas improved….not by tonnes, but hopefully enough.  It’s a start at least.

40 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Pretty depressing to look at the two players we are comparing, doesn’t bring much excitement.

In honesty they are both bang average with good qualities but majorly lack any real quality. 

Then again the above can be said for 90% of the current squad. 

What does 'bang average' mean? Arguably for where we are as a club at the moment - bang average is just fine. If the majority of our team are 'bang average' it means we can expect a comfortable mid table finish.

On those two players I'd disagree anyway. Obviously he's been our injured a while, but in Weimann we've got a player managers love. I also think some of his work is on a different wavelength to lots of the team. Semenyo clearly has plenty of potential and can only improve. I think he's got the potential to be far better than "bang average".

I think Weimann is a Pearson player. Athlete and consummate professional. He's a decent champ level player. I expect to see him starting most games, and feel he'll have a decent impact on our season.

Excited to see Semenyo come back as well, whether that'll be in rotation with Weimann, or on the other flank

1 minute ago, underhanded said:

I think Weimann is a Pearson player. Athlete and consummate professional. He's a decent champ level player. I expect to see him starting most games, and feel he'll have a decent impact on our season.

Excited to see Semenyo come back as well, whether that'll be in rotation with Weimann, or on the other flank

I actually think Semenyo is more effective from the left, where he is not running into congestion, can go on the outside, with power and pace….plus it means he gets into less positions for poorly selected shots!  I know that sounds stupid, taking less shots, but the exasperated looks from players who’ve made runs for a little incisive pass only to see Semenyo drag a left foot shot way past the near post is too common.

Watford (h) he played left and was my MOTM.  Caused them all sorts of problems.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I actually think Semenyo is more effective from the left, where he is not running into congestion, can go on the outside, with power and pace….plus it means he gets into less positions for poorly selected shots!  I know that sounds stupid, taking less shots, but the exasperated looks from players who’ve made runs for a little incisive pass only to see Semenyo drag a left foot shot way past the near post is too common.

Watford (h) he played left and was my MOTM.  Caused them all sorts of problems.

I can see him playing a similar role that Sterling plays for England. It harnesses his rawness and plays to his strengths. He's clearly an explosive athlete and will only get bigger and stronger as he grows into his man strength - similar to Bolasie or Zaha. 

I think he's got all the tools to be a very effective and exciting wide forward.

Not sure on the news of COD's injury, but I was expecting him and Semenyo to rotate that left side spot. Weimann will play , more often than not and Scott and Palmer sharing the central role.  AS  is quick and strong, but still very raw. Effective in a battering-ram style, but I'm hoping Nige nocks off some rough edges.
His shooting really does need polishing up a little.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I can see him playing a similar role that Sterling plays for England. It harnesses his rawness and plays to his strengths. He's clearly an explosive athlete and will only get bigger and stronger as he grows into his man strength - similar to Bolasie or Zaha. 

I think he's got all the tools to be a very effective and exciting wide forward.

So Antoine on the left and Weimann on the right means no place for O'Dowda and he seems a Pearson-type player - none are prolific crossers of the ball though. Begs the question, why play with the tall target man to feed off crosses that don't come in that frequently?

How about a front 3 right to left of Weimann -  Wells - Semenyo : that has pace and clinical finishing [Wells] . Scott playing behind [whipped in a great cross when receiving a short free kick on Saturday] with the Axis behind of James & Williams or King. Having just written that I think its pretty sound if I say so myself!!

53 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure on the news of COD's injury, but I was expecting him and Semenyo to rotate that left side spot. Weimann will play , more often than not and Scott and Palmer sharing the central role.  AS  is quick and strong, but still very raw. Effective in a battering-ram style, but I'm hoping Nige nocks off some rough edges.
His shooting really does need polishing up a little.

Spooky….

Still somewhat concerned we haven't strengthened up front. I do like Weimann as a footballer. Brings a lot to the table, and we really missed him last season. But he's never going to be a prolific target man. He's a Robbie Turner sort of player, an excellent foil, but who only thrived with Bob Taylor next to him.

If it's Weimann or Semenyo it's Weimann for me all day long and into next week. But he really needs that young, hungry, prolific strike partner. Martin doesn't have those attributes. He'll bag 10 in a season maybe, but not much more than that. And having seen plenty of Semenyo the last couple of seasons, I hate to say it, but he's just not a Championship striker, at all. For the benefit of his career, he's someone we should be looking to shift on. Could do a job for someone in league one though.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A lot of the Championship is made up of players who are overall average, have 1 or 2 strong bits to their game and 1 or 2 weak bits.

We do have a squad of very similar ability players.  That’s good in some ways, but bad in others, e.g. easily rotate your squad, but when you want that extra bit of quality to win a game, it’s not always there.

We have been weak(ish) in midfield for a good while.  With James, Williams and King to supplement Massengo and Bakinson, we are at least stronger in that area.

If Kalas remains here, then 2 of Kalas, Baker and Atkinson is better than Kalas and Vyner, or Kalas, Vyner and Moore.

So two spinal areas improved….not by tonnes, but hopefully enough.  It’s a start at least.

I’d agree with the first bit, however most of those teams have 2/3 standouts, worst teams normally have at least 1.

I would say our only standout is Bentley. 

Just feel we are very alike everywhere, one player for another with not much difference. 

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What does 'bang average' mean? Arguably for where we are as a club at the moment - bang average is just fine. If the majority of our team are 'bang average' it means we can expect a comfortable mid table finish.

On those two players I'd disagree anyway. Obviously he's been our injured a while, but in Weimann we've got a player managers love. I also think some of his work is on a different wavelength to lots of the team. Semenyo clearly has plenty of potential and can only improve. I think he's got the potential to be far better than "bang average".

Just my opinion they both lack quality hugely. I just think it’s a shame this is as exciting as it gets these days

Goals + Assists=A greater package, Goals in isolation isn't the best way to judge strikers now IMO.

In season 1, remember he had 4-5 goals wrongly chalked off for offside, then there's the fact he was shunted between the wing, wide midfield and up front- although his versatility is a useful asset and his pressing too.

So, what do we reckon?

Drop Weimann? ?

The “1 in 6” scorer for us who actually has 23 goals in 99 league games, despite playing all across the pitch rather than a striker.

When I went to school that rate is nearer to 1 in 4, an absolutely pivotal player for us.

Unbelievable fitness levels, brilliant professional, automatic selection.

I'm Flappy's biggest critic but last night, with Martin, he was excellent, signally helped by us playing his game - quick ball forward into the channels, none of the slow, sideways, possession dross he's had these past few seasons. He also didn't flap as he was getting there at pace, not nearly getting there chasing slow ball out wide.

Clearly he can't keep putting in display after display like that, dread to think how many high intensity runs they put in, but even a hobbling Weimann is a shoe-in over Semenyo, who to date has shown nothing other than he's a lower league prospect and not much of one at that.

On 08/08/2021 at 14:39, headhunter said:

1 in 6 scorer

And Semenyo?

Championship he's 1 in 29.

Last few seasons all competitions with us he's worse than 1 in 13.

Whole career, mostly lower league and Mickey Mouse cup competitions, he's 1 in 7.

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Play with 10?

Usually that's what's happened and in the case of Semenyo is what you get. Last night, however, Pearson proved if you play to Flappy's game there's (potentially) life in the old dog yet. Let's hope last night wasn't a one-off.

A replacement for both is still the best option.

Archived