IGNORED

Attendance

bs3

Covid has had an effect on many people and families. For those not affected by the death of family or friends or redundancies or financial hardship related to this virus it may all seem life, as you know it, is back to normal. For a lot of others, making those first cautious steps back to the hustle and bustle in crowds can be quite daunting. I know of fellow reds with season cards who are dubious about returning but Love the club. They did not go . Time is a healer. The deeper people have been affected the more cautious they may be.

8 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Weird because where i was in South stand I could barely hear them but seeing them try to make noise.

Depends on where you sit i think. I barely heard us at all.

19 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Compared to other clubs so many of our fans just sit down all game . Can understand if older but so many in 20s or 30s just sat down with an occasional clap it’s unreal 

Well from my experiences away in the championship I can tell you its hard to separate better atmospheres. I had a look at other forums today and its pretty much the same being said about atmospheres. There are so many variables such as the quakity of football we had to put up with the last couple seasons. 

I don't see it as a bad thing for fans to actually want to pay close attention to the game. I know a couple of mates who sit in section 82 and have no idea about any players outside of Bristol City. They have been season ticket holders for 7 seasons and I find it baffling. 

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Weird because where i was in South stand I could barely hear them but seeing them try to make noise.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Depends on where you sit i think. I barely heard us at all.

Maybe it's the same with all modern/redeveloped grounds- queried the acoustics of the Atyeo  in the past but maybe- I'm no expert- but there's something that stops the sound travelling as it might...is it the design, the layout?

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe it's the same with all modern/redeveloped grounds- queried the acoustics of the Atyeo  in the past but maybe- I'm no expert- but there's something that stops the sound travelling as it might...is it the design, the layout?

The atmosphere definitely feels worse since the EE was shut. I think our best atmospheres in recent times were probably when the EE had about 250 City fans in during the 07/08 season just after reopening.

I've always thought what they should do is give the whole of the Atyeo to home fans, with a view to rebuilding it completely and/or making it entirely safe standing. I think a single tiered end like that is the best situation to encourage an atmosphere. I would then put the away fans in one of the corners (next to the Atyeo) of either the Williams or Dolman. Would be tricky to do now logistically post-redevelopment but I think that would've been optimal for generating the best atmosphere at games. The stadium design could've incorporated that. 

On 08/08/2021 at 16:09, weepywall said:

I remember they gave out a crowd at one game and everyone burst out laughing, they later adjusted it to a higher figure. 

I was there and it was a mixture of lots of laughter, quite a few boo's and mass shaking of heads, even with my number dyslexia I knew their number was a shocker..... now I am older and wiser, I realise it was all in a "good cause" of avoiding the tax man. 

I think the "powers that be" at the time realised it was so blatantly wrong they may got caught and the papers certainly printed a much higher figure later on. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The atmosphere definitely feels worse since the EE was shut. I think our best atmospheres in recent times were probably when the EE had about 250 City fans in during the 07/08 season just after reopening.

I've always thought what they should do is give the whole of the Atyeo to home fans, with a view to rebuilding it completely and/or making it entirely safe standing. I think a single tiered end like that is the best situation to encourage an atmosphere. I would then put the away fans in one of the corners (next to the Atyeo) of either the Williams or Dolman. Would be tricky to do now logistically post-redevelopment but I think that would've been optimal for generating the best atmosphere at games. The stadium design could've incorporated that. 

Yeah, got worse since then on the whole. The acoustics were excellent too and the sound seemed to travel reasonably.

Quite liked the corner of the Williams near the away fans, ended up in there a few times in 2008/09.

Unsure how well sound travels, probably worse post rebuild. I couldn't hear much from Blackpool eg even though they were clearly making a decent noise, whether the Atyeo doesn't generate much noise or it doesn't quite travel far enough is hard to say. 

Safe Standing, it's been a long fight but can't see it being extendable much beyond what we have atm or what grounds are currently allowed as a % just yet.

Could've been ideal your idea, but long standing ST holders in A and B. Perhaps Williams less so as it was replaced by a new stand...might be out of date on this but isn't it a 10% capacity for away fans in EFL?

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, got worse since then on the whole. The acoustics were excellent too and the sound seemed to travel reasonably.

Quite liked the corner of the Williams near the away fans, ended up in there a few times in 2008/09.

Unsure how well sound travels, probably worse post rebuild. I couldn't hear much from Blackpool eg even though they were clearly making a decent noise, whether the Atyeo doesn't generate much noise or it doesn't quite travel far enough is hard to say. 

Safe Standing, it's been a long fight but can't see it being extendable much beyond what we have atm or what grounds are currently allowed as a % just yet.

Could've been ideal your idea, but long standing ST holders in A and B. Perhaps Williams less so as it was replaced by a new stand...might be out of date on this but isn't it a 10% capacity for away fans in EFL?

The ample and probably only opportunity the club had to implement such a change was during the rebuild unfortunately. Sadly the atmosphere was always an afterthought. 

7 hours ago, brady bunch said:

I was there and it was a mixture of lots of laughter, quite a few boo's and mass shaking of heads, even with my number dyslexia I knew their number was a shocker..... now I am older and wiser, I realise it was all in a "good cause" of avoiding the tax man. 

I think the "powers that be" at the time realised it was so blatantly wrong they may got caught and the papers certainly printed a much higher figure later on. 

That had to be Chelsea in the cup, the ground was basically full and that's when you could get near 40,000 in and it was announced as something like 23.500 and yes there was a lot of shaking of heads and merriment amongst the well over 30,000 that were there, they did finally admit to 28,000 but we know the truth. 

6 hours ago, pillred said:

That had to be Chelsea in the cup, the ground was basically full and that's when you could get near 40,000 in and it was announced as something like 23.500 and yes there was a lot of shaking of heads and merriment amongst the well over 30,000 that were there, they did finally admit to 28,000 but we know the truth. 

No it wasn't the Chelsea game it was a league fixture, can't for the life of me remember who against or even what division but I do remember they announced a crowd  about 5000 lower than what it looked.

You are right weepy, it was a league game, I got to the game close to kick off. There were queue's at the East end so I went to the open end so as not to miss kick off. Got in just in time. Can't remember who we were playing, if I remember correctly the attendance was announced to load derision. It was updated a second time to more derision then updated again. The excuse later was that the ticket counting for the four different stands had been given out before all four stands had been counted. Although there was always a thought by many that there were turnstiles that had a one for the club and one for the tax man counting system.. Now, I wonder who's company made those turnstiles ? B,D,R I think. Was it Brechnall Dolman Roger's?

Archived