IGNORED

Geoff's interview with Steve Lansdown

Midlands Robin

Geoff Twentyman conducted an interview with Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol prior to the match. The details of which have also been published in the Post.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-steve-lansdown-pearson-5757896

There are some interesting things to come out of the interview.

The number of times that the working relationship between the CEO and Manager is mentioned makes me think that Lansdown has finally realised the previous regime was all wrong.

Talking of our new CEO some comments stood out;

"He’s got a vast experience but he’s a businessman and not a football businessman, so he’s not wrapped up in everything, he gets the job done."

"He's proving his worth. It’s early days but he does everything with a smile on his face, people behind the scenes at the club feel good."

"He’s not going to be someone that says ‘this is the sort of player I think we should have’ or someone that gives any impression of players, if he’s been asked to go and sign a player, sell a player or negotiate a contract then that’s what he’ll go and do and he’ll do it to the best of his ability for the club and I think that’s the good thing."

I Think it seems obvious that the problems caused by the previous holder of the post are now clear to our owner.

Finally, when talking about the chances of naming the RHPC or the South Stand in honour of Terry Cooper, Steve said there was some discussion going on in the background but I found this comment to be the most surprising:

At the moment we have two stands named: the Atyeo Stand for obvious reasons, and this one, not for obvious reasons and I didn't ask for it but I'm very proud of it. We will honour Terry in the best way we can in the Bristol City family to thank him for everything he's done and he will live long in the memory and there’s plenty of memories of him around the ground and the training ground.

So the Dolman Stand is now officially not the name of that stand.

No wonder the PA system remains shit then. People keep refering to a stand that no longer exists.

Definitely and interesting article and well worth a read.

SL referenced the fact the Bears share the ground, as a reason for not naming the currently unnamed South Stand the “Terry Cooper” stand.

I can understand us not naming it the “Terry Cooper” stand, it’s the reasoning I don’t like. For me it should have nothing to do with the Bears. As far as I’m concerned we allow them to use our stadium, they don’t part own it.

As much as SL is a great businessman, and benefactor/owner, but he doesn’t have say some strange, or factually wrong things, when he is being interviewed (take yesterdays, or that infamous Talksport, interview for example).

Personally I wouldn’t mind us naming the 500 seat training stadium after TC.

COYR.

9 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

SL referenced the fact the Bears share the ground, as a reason for not naming the currently unnamed South Stand the “Terry Cooper” stand.

I can understand us not naming it the “Terry Cooper” stand, it’s the reasoning I don’t like. For me it should have nothing to do with the Bears. As far as I’m concerned we allow them to use our stadium, they don’t part own it.

As much as SL is a great businessman, and benefactor/owner, but he doesn’t have say some strange, or factually wrong things, when he is being interviewed (take yesterdays, or that infamous Talksport, interview for example).

Personally I wouldn’t mind us naming the 500 seat training stadium after TC.

COYR.

The bears shouldn’t have a say in any stand names , taking city of the dolman was just the start

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting interview wasn’t it?

Yep - made me appreciate what Pearson has taken on, he's got his work cut out, patience needed.

I loved the Lansdown payoff: 'I've been away and two managers have gone in Lee and Dean, I never saw Dean manage in front of me. It's a strange scenario. It was weird. You look back on it, and think, 'could we have done things differently?'

Too darn right you could Steve! Pity you weren't paying attention to some of the more perceptive posters on OTIB.?

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Geoff Twentyman conducted an interview with Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol prior to the match. The details of which have also been published in the Post.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-steve-lansdown-pearson-5757896

There are some interesting things to come out of the interview.

The number of times that the working relationship between the CEO and Manager is mentioned makes me think that Lansdown has finally realised the previous regime was all wrong.

Talking of our new CEO some comments stood out;

"He’s got a vast experience but he’s a businessman and not a football businessman, so he’s not wrapped up in everything, he gets the job done."

"He's proving his worth. It’s early days but he does everything with a smile on his face, people behind the scenes at the club feel good."

"He’s not going to be someone that says ‘this is the sort of player I think we should have’ or someone that gives any impression of players, if he’s been asked to go and sign a player, sell a player or negotiate a contract then that’s what he’ll go and do and he’ll do it to the best of his ability for the club and I think that’s the good thing."

I Think it seems obvious that the problems caused by the previous holder of the post are now clear to our owner.

Finally, when talking about the chances of naming the RHPC or the South Stand in honour of Terry Cooper, Steve said there was some discussion going on in the background but I found this comment to be the most surprising:

At the moment we have two stands named: the Atyeo Stand for obvious reasons, and this one, not for obvious reasons and I didn't ask for it but I'm very proud of it. We will honour Terry in the best way we can in the Bristol City family to thank him for everything he's done and he will live long in the memory and there’s plenty of memories of him around the ground and the training ground.

So the Dolman Stand is now officially not the name of that stand.

No wonder the PA system remains shit then. People keep refering to a stand that no longer exists.

Definitely and interesting article and well worth a read.

You get the feeling SL really took his eye off the ball with what was going on behind the scenes with Ashton in charge. 

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You get the feeling SL really took his eye off the ball with what was going on behind the scenes with Ashton in charge. 

Yes, but it also shows how good a blagger Ashton is. 

I don't know about you, but if I owned BCFC/Bristol Bears/Flyers etc, and then employed someone who told me "don't worry about all of these things. Sit back and let me do the work", then I'd either have to be completely naive to let someone run something I've ploughed millions into, or have absolute faith that this guy was 100% capable of doing so. 

Not going to get into the Ashton debates again, but a lot of people on here were able to cotton on to him pretty early. Not everyone though. That to me, shows that he is one of these people who is able to big themselves up so much, he makes others believe that they would be stupid to not trust him.

It won't happen again, the flipside of that though, is that we could end up with SL becoming too involved again.

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Yes, but it also shows how good a blagger Ashton is. 

I don't know about you, but if I owned BCFC/Bristol Bears/Flyers etc, and then employed someone who told me "don't worry about all of these things. Sit back and let me do the work", then I'd either have to be completely naive to let someone run something I've ploughed millions into, or have absolute faith that this guy was 100% capable of doing so. 

Not going to get into the Ashton debates again, but a lot of people on here were able to cotton on to him pretty early. Not everyone though. That to me, shows that he is one of these people who is able to big themselves up so much, he makes others believe that they would be stupid to not trust him.

It won't happen again, the flipside of that though, is that we could end up with SL becoming too involved again.

And I suspect that is partly why Richard Gould got the gig over Adrian Bevington, who was rumoured to be on the shortlist.

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Exactly also he stated he wasn't involved with city when  T.C performed his miracles obviously if he was hed realise T.C was worthy of a stand named after him .

I wasn’t born when terry Cooper had anything to do with city and I think he should have something named after him even if it’s the training ground as rhpc just sounds very cringe

24 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

With done it to death now , but those 12/14 months of covid where Lansdown was away really did leave Ashton to run riot, if he wasn’t even before covid hit 

As I have said on here more than once, it is more than a little disappointing that SL and his son did not work out that nice Mr Ashton a lot earlier.

As for the comments about Dean Holden well, I think it was more than a little obvious where that was going - shameful really but, we all know Steve’s opinion on who who’s view is the most important.

For the Bears, how about:

The Cucum.... stand

Or

The Camem...... Stand

With regards to stand names, I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the fact that Lansdown doesn't consider the Dolman Stand to be that stands name anymore.

Or have I placed myself in the "everyone knows that, you must have missed it" category?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What out for the (Queens Park) Rangers though, boo, boo.

Blast! 

Dave, I've just read the whole thread hoping that nobody was going to make a Booboo pun....

The very last post and you out do me!

Respect 

3 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

For the Bears, how about:

The Cucum.... stand

Or

The Camem...... Stand

With regards to stand names, I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on the fact that Lansdown doesn't consider the Dolman Stand to be that stands name anymore.

Or have I placed myself in the "everyone knows that, you must have missed it" category?

or he just made a mistake?

Archived