IGNORED

Embarrassing names for grounds

Hampshire Red

Hopefully Ashton Gate will remain our Club's ground name for years to come but what are the ones which you think have gone completely the wrong way? 

We probably like the Den, Hawthorns, Craven Cottage, Bloomfield Rd etc in our legue but really; Weston Homes Stadium, Select Car Leasing are just the worst. Tomorrow, The Fully Charged New Lawn is pretty weird too?

Thing is, whatever they are called most people will say "are you going to Forest Green or are you going to Boro ? " haven't heard anyone say they are off to the Select Car Leasing Stadium next week, wouldn't know what companies pay to sponsor grounds but it can't be very beneficial to them surely ?.

29 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Thing is, whatever they are called most people will say "are you going to Forest Green or are you going to Boro ? " haven't heard anyone say they are off to the Select Car Leasing Stadium next week, wouldn't know what companies pay to sponsor grounds but it can't be very beneficial to them surely ?.

I’m not so sure. I can only think of one car leasing company…

37 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Surely it'll just get known as the SCL. 

KitKat Crescent was always a favourite of mine. (Renamed from Bootham Crescent) 

For sheer naffness though you've got to go a long way to beat Sunderland going for the Stadium of Light - a whole new level of stupidity. What next: maybe the Maracana, Horfield?

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

For sheer naffness though you've got to go a long way to beat Sunderland going for the Stadium of Light - a whole new level of stupidity. What next: maybe the Maracana, Horfield?

I'm sure someone on here once suggested we could have Ashton Gate sponsored as the MaracaNatch ?

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think we’ll ever see a funnier stadium name than when York City FC played at the KitKat Crescent ...?... but I live in hope!

8 hours ago, Calculus said:

York played there when they were taking a break from the Football League…..

The Sunderland name is because it’s about the regeneration of the area (gives hope and light etc). Agree it’s about pompous though.

Archived