IGNORED

Carabao Cup Matchday No. 1 - Forest Green Rovers v. Bristol City

26 minutes ago, harrys said:

I see Swansea having appointed a progressive young manager won 4-0 at Reading, why oh why don’t our club have the imagination to appoint someone like that 

LJ was considered a progressive young manager. I am still glad that, for the first time in ages, we have a manager with an actual track record of achievement. 

• Like 1

Positives

Well, not sure there are many but here goes.

*2 goals for Janneh.

*Coming from behind.

Not much else tbh! How did Simpson do at RB too, any useful performers? We did make 11 changes however.

Oh yeah, the whole last minute goal thing. Successive games...

Should we have waited a bit longer with Williams too? Injured again!! Had a fairly good availability record over his last 2-3 seasons.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Just now, KegCity said:

Sadly that wasn’t how he left the squad, which was in a fragmented state being unable to defend properly, hold on to leads or create chances. Holden then did nothing to improve that situation, made it worse and we now have to remedy it.

Both Johnson and Holden's win ratios piss all over Pearson's.

Of course, I'm not writing him off after two bloody games in this season.

But to lose to a 4th Tier side after you've put out some players who should look like galacticos in comparison, is embarrassing and utter dogshite.  No other words.

Must.Do.Better

Much, much better.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

We can only dream about having Lee Johnson back at this point. At least we did occasionally win games then. Even Holden was better than this 

Get some perspective. The Reading and Barnsley games last season were comfortably two of the worst I’ve ever seen from us and I’ve been watching since 76. There have been a few reasonable points made about mentality and that it will take time, most of the rest is bed wetting nonsense. IMHO

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, keflav said:

its all pretty crap and cant see an end to it we are just weak in all positions whichever players we put on the pitch, there is a lack of confidence and fragility to us that just wont go away. when was the last time we played a game and won comfortably...? I know its only 2 games but was hoping NP would of sorted out the fragile team and instilled a bit of confidence in the team but it just don't seem any better... 

Hopeful things will improve but still seems a lot of work to do much of it on the mentality as much as the actual football on the pitch.... really don't want it to be a long negative season..

But we’re not weak.  We have good players all over the pitch.  It’s just that for some reason they don’t seem to be able to play.  I do find it quite amusing that under Holden the players could do no wrong and it was Holden’s fault, but since the coming of the saintly Mr Pearson it would appear that the players are entirely culpable.  What’s Pearson’s record now?  W2 D4 L10?  Jesus…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think we have to look at the marvellous mr Ashton and our superb owners for where we are now. Blame managers all we want but I’m not sure how much influence they had on signings whilst Ashton was here.

wev’e messed up the best chance we’ll have for ages last few years. Completed excellent stadium and facilities and a glut of players who we could sell on for hefty fees, vast majority of which Ashton didn’t sign and we squander the lot. We tried to be like Brentford but we’re the exact opposite.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

So if Pearson was shouting on the sideline and nothing actually changed on the pitch, that would be enough for you as you personally could see him “manage”?

Each to their own, I didn’t realise shouts per 90 was the measure of a manager these days.

So why is he talking to Taylor Moore through earpieces when 15m away?

If a boss did that to me I'd have sweet FA respect for him. The fact the reporter at the game questioned WTF was going on speaks volumes.

Pearson came with a curmudgeonly reputation. He's doing nothing to disabuse that. Works fine if he's getting results. And what when the losses came & it started to fall apart?

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Sadly that wasn’t how he left the squad, which was in a fragmented state being unable to defend properly, hold on to leads or create chances. Holden then did nothing to improve that situation, made it worse and we now have to remedy it.

You can be playing manor farm, switching off is switching off, regardless of level. 

But we switched off against Blackpool and the squad would/should have been bolloxed for that …. to do it again three days later is just totally unprofessional be that players, coaches, manager. It’s the repeat switching off that is inexcusable. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Positives

Well, not sure there are many but here goes.

*2 goals for Janneh.

*Coming from behind.

Not much else tbh! How did Simpson do at RB too, any useful performers? We did make 11 changes however.

Simpson looked 2 yards off the pace the whole game. Unfortunately for us, seems well past it now. Not that I should be throwing stones on this particular subject, but he's well overweight too. 

Cam Pring looked... alright. Not sure about the love in he's getting but looked solid enough as JD understudy. 

Moore and Kalas at CB were leaky to say the least. Lost count of the Aden Flint-esque hoofed through balls to no one. 

Youngsters up top looked fairly competent. Hopefully, good signs of things to come there. 

Edited by Creg
Speeling
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But we’re not weak.  We have good players all over the pitch.  It’s just that for some reason they don’t seem to be able to play.  I do find it quite amusing that under Holden the players could do no wrong and it was Holden’s fault, but since the coming of the saintly Mr Pearson it would appear that the players are entirely culpable.  What’s Pearson’s record now?  W2 D4 L10?  Jesus…

Yeah, should probably sack him...

19 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Agree. All I want is just some entertainment and a City win. It’s not even laughable now it’s just frustrating and embarrassing 

Gotta learn to detatch yourself from it mate. Emotional investment in this club is pointless. Enjoy the scraps of joy when they come, but we are always going to be failures overall.

Edited by Wanderingred
1 minute ago, Creg said:

Simpson looked 2 yards off the pace the whole game. Unfortunately for us, seems well past it now. Not that I should be throwing stones on this particular subject, but he's well overweight too. 

Cam Pring looked... alright. Not sure about the love in he's getting but looked solid enough as JD's understudy. 

Moore and Kalas at CB were leaky to say the last. Lost count of the Aden Flint-esque hoofed through balls to no one. 

Youngsters up top looked fairly competent. Hopefully, good signs of things to come there. 

Simpson has looked piss poor since he joined. Waste of a wage.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Both Johnson and Holden's win ratios piss all over Pearson's.

Of course, I'm not writing him off after two bloody games in this season.

But to lose to a 4th Tier side after you've put out some players who should look like galacticos in comparison, is embarrassing and utter dogshite.  No other words.

Must.Do.Better

Much, much better.

Johnson who was here for considerably longer and Holden who managed to shithouse wins at the start of the season whilst putting in worse performances? You're not wrong, but doesn't contextualise the situations of each manager.

Tonight's result is certainly poor, I just don't understand the surprise? I thought we'd all accepted this was to be a tough season, with a hell of a lot of mistakes, bad habits and generally poor play that had seeped in for 2 years to be coached out. Unsurprisingly, playing fringe players who were around for the last 2 years meant we slipped back into old habits in key moments. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination, but hardly unexpected. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

We also lost in the play offs to Swindon that year as well didnt we? Gordon Owen missing 

Lost out on the play-offs IIRC. Needed to beat Swindon at home in last game of the season to make the play-offs and Owen missed a penalty when it was all square towards the end of the game. But yes Owen missed that one and and the deciding one at Wembley, mind most people around where I was sitting weren't paying much attention to the penalty because a girl had got her tits out!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

But we switched off against Blackpool and the squad would/should have been bolloxed for that …. to do it again three days later is just totally unprofessional be that players, coaches, manager. It’s the repeat switching off that is inexcusable. 

Again, it's been happening for literally years. We're playing the same players who've been doing it for years. Until the ones that aren't good enough are shifted it will keep happening. Individual errors have costed us in both fixtures. Pearson has to take responsibility, but it's been happening long before he arrived so it clearly isn't entirely down to the manager.

I think what's particularly galling is the number of people who claim to understand that this is a mess that won't be fixed quickly and that they're prepared to be paitient, yet in reality as soon as we have a setback the toys come out of the pram and they're declaring that we might as well not bother with the rest of the season because we're already relegated and won't ever win a game again and that everyone involved needs sacking/selling.

If you're going to be that way then fine, but don't pretend beforehand that you're okay with the process when you clearly aren't.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That's exactly my point about the weak mentality, on paper these player should be bossing it, but there is a weak fragile mentality about us and every single team we play knows this and exploits it...

Was in favour of Pearson being in charge and am still willing to give him the time to change this around, but at the moment we are making the same mistakes we have been for the last 2 years. and yes Pearson's record for us so far is pretty miserable... 

1 minute ago, Creg said:

Cam Pring looked... alright. Not sure about the love in he's getting but looked solid enough as JD's understudy. 

Moore and Kalas at CB were leaky to say the last. Lost count of the Aden Flint-esque hoofed through balls to no one. 

Thanks. I feared that might be the case, his best days are surely gone- best hope Vyner doesn't get injured or sent off ehl

Competitive debut for us, that's what he is. His understudy, his development last season too, was stalled by his injury.

That's a shame. Moore has been known to carry it out and Kalas I didn't earmark as HOOF. He's quite quick or can be, in theory Moore-Kalas could have had potential for a higher line.

That's encouraging to hear. Janneh will get the big plaudits with two goals, still think several need good development loans.

10 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I think we have to look at the marvellous mr Ashton and our superb owners for where we are now. Blame managers all we want but I’m not sure how much influence they had on signings whilst Ashton was here.

wev’e messed up the best chance we’ll have for ages last few years. Completed excellent stadium and facilities and a glut of players who we could sell on for hefty fees, vast majority of which Ashton didn’t sign and we squander the lot. We tried to be like Brentford but we’re the exact opposite.

Yup.

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So why is he talking to Taylor Moore through earpieces when 15m away?

If a boss did that to me I'd have sweet FA respect for him. The fact the reporter at the game questioned WTF was going on speaks volumes.

Pearson came with a curmudgeonly reputation. He's doing nothing to disabuse that. Works fine if he's getting results. And what when the losses came & it started to fall apart?

I wonder how he won promotions at previous clubs if his management style and communication is that bad then.