IGNORED

League Table Query

Redstart

Something bugging me, I noticed on the BBC Sport app League Table we are 14th, yet on the Sky League Table we are 11th.

Looking it over, Sky have gone with alphabetical for matching teams but BBC have put the teams who got their point away from home as a priority. So for example on the BBC app Middlesboro who drew 1-1 away are shown above the City. 

Which is actually correct? ?

5 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Something bugging me, I noticed on the BBC Sport app League Table we are 14th, yet on the Sky League Table we are 11th.

Looking it over, Sky have gone with alphabetical for matching teams but BBC have put the teams who got their point away from home as a priority. So for example on the BBC app Middlesboro who drew 1-1 away are shown above the City. 

No point whatsoever in looking at the league table untill ten matches have been played - at this point I feel is where the table "starts".

What's the point looking when you can have a third of the division 'joint bottem??......  

Just now, Son of Fred said:

No point whatsoever in looking at the league table untill ten matches have been played - at this point I feel is where the table "starts".

What's the point looking when you can have a third of the division 'joint bottem??......  

Why not answer his question?

17 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Which one were you looking at mate?

This one has us @14th

https://www.skysports.com/championship-table

54 minutes ago, Redstart said:

11th or 14th I'm happy with - lets end the season now. 

Alphabetical order is meaningless.  You can’t be above another team on alphabetical order, so all teams with completely identical records are therefore equal.  However, there is no way of depicting that in tabular form, so most publishers go for alphabetical order just so as to be able to explain what order the teams are in.  So the answer is it doesn’t matter what order teams with identical records are shown in, they’re still equal.  I think.

I believe if teams finished the season with identical records there would have to be a playoff if promotion or relegation was involved.

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Alphabetical order is meaningless.  You can’t be above another team on alphabetical order, so all teams with completely identical records are therefore equal.  However, there is no way of depicting that in tabular form, so most publishers go for alphabetical order just so as to be able to explain what order the teams are in.  So the answer is it doesn’t matter what order teams with identical records are shown in, they’re still equal.  I think.

I believe if teams finished the season with identical records there would have to be a playoff if promotion or relegation was involved.

It's a playoff regardless of whether or not relegation/promotion is involved. 

After you've gone through the procedures that @Lorenzos Only Goal sets out above, if still tied then there's a points system that counts up disciplinary offences incurred across the season. The team with fewer "penalty points" gets the higher league spot. If tied on those penalty points, then its done on number of red cards.

If that still cannot separate two teams, then the final method is indeed a a playoff under Rule 9.8.

image.png.42bc6c8f4c0c1b92df9ae8a6e0dbb777.png

Essentially it is:

1. Points;
  2. Goal Difference;
  3. Goals scored;
  4. League record between the teams concerned;
  5. Number of wins;
  6. Away goals;
  7. Fair play - the penalty points system;
  8. Red cards; and finally
  9. Play-off.

Obviously, and fortunately we rarely have to go beyond number 3 in this list.

Archived