IGNORED

Tammy Abraham to Roma

MarcusX

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Tammy Abraham became the first English player to score in a Rome derby since Paul Gascoigne as his double helped Jose Mourinho's Roma brush aside Lazio.

The game was just 56 seconds old when Abraham became the first Englishman to reach 14 goals in a Serie A season since Gerry Hitchens for Inter Milan 60 years ago.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I reckon new cars in Rome come with factory fitted dents.

We went to the Bay of Naples for 5 days a few years back, Sorrento, Pompeii, Naples itself, all that. When I got back I tried to negotiate a discount on the hire car because I brought it back in one piece. :) 
They are crazy bad drivers, overtaking on blind bends inches from a sheer drop into the bay was a standard 
manoeuvre.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We went to the Bay of Naples for 5 days a few years back, Sorrento, Pompeii, Naples itself, all that. When I got back I tried to negotiate a discount on the hire car because I brought it back in one piece. :) 
They are crazy bad drivers, overtaking on blind bends inches from a sheer drop into the bay was a standard 
manoeuvre.

The only place I`ve been that was worse than Italy was Portugal. No way would I drive there!

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 16:13, Lanterne Rouge said:

The only place I`ve been that was worse than Italy was Portugal. No way would I drive there!

You haven’t been to Delhi then . It is chaos . No one takes any notice of the signs or the direction of the traffic . Throw in Tuk tuks, cyclists, motorcycles,beggars and cows and you have total mayhem. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 22/03/2022 at 17:08, italian dave said:

I know this will be controversial - but disagree! I think driving in Italy is easier than in the UK.

Although I would make Naples an exception to that ?

After hiring a car for a 5 day trip in the Naples Bay area, I tried to negotiate a discount when I got it back in one piece! 

The only accident I had was on the way back to the car hire company. We were following a car up a road which turned out be closed. The car in front started to do a U-turn and we followed, the driver was so bad that they couldn't complete the turn in one go, so they just reversed straight into me before driving casually off as if nothing had happened. 

Luckily they didn't leave a visible mark on the car.

On 22/03/2022 at 14:33, Port Said Red said:

manoeuvre.

I went there on honeymoon. Cabbies drive like lunatics. They don't get any points for hitting tourists on crossing, that is unless they are Japanese! ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You haven’t been to Delhi then . It is chaos . No one takes any notice of the signs or the direction of the traffic . Throw in Tuk tuks, cyclists, motorcycles,beggars and cows and you have total mayhem. 

Went to Vietnam a few years ago with someone who had been to Delhi and they said Hanoi was like Delhi with worse roads, less cars, more motorbikes and less breaks - not that you get much more than 10mph anywhere because of the sheer amount of people. 

I didn't even try and drive, walking anywhere was enough of an culture shock to me - the idea that you have to just walk out in the middle of rush hour traffic and trust everyone will go around you is mental!

23 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Went to Vietnam a few years ago with someone who had been to Delhi and they said Hanoi was like Delhi with worse roads, less cars, more motorbikes and less breaks - not that you get much more than 10mph anywhere because of the sheer amount of people. 

I didn't even try and drive, walking anywhere was enough of an culture shock to me - the idea that you have to just walk out in the middle of rush hour traffic and trust everyone will go around you is mental!

I've done it and it is insane. Everyone just plougs into the center of a roundabout and slowly walks round... it was my first and last time on a motorbike. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pezo said:

Far worse when the better half is holding your hand and hasn't got your confidence. You walk, she stops  and pulls you back and it's bloody carnage!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Agreed I have been there twice, it’s mental. Three lane carriage way with seven rows of traffic. Families of five on a moped. 

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

And for those of us who wouldn't have an Instagram account if it was the only way left to communicate in the world.......?

... I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in watching a video of Korey Smith and his young son watching Tammy Abraham scoring a goal for Roma. It's kind of cute, but don't trouble yourself, it isn't your kind of thing.

Edited by CiderJar

23 hours ago, One Team said:

Agreed I have been there twice, it’s mental. Three lane carriage way with seven rows of traffic. Families of five on a moped. 

Sounds like Cairo in Egypt, though over there you can add in the occasional bloke perched on a pile of greenery on the back of a donkey, or old geezers pushing hand carts!!!

45 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Sounds like Cairo in Egypt, though over there you can add in the occasional bloke perched on a pile of greenery on the back of a donkey, or old geezers pushing hand carts!!!

Going back to Naples, it was common to see bike couriers carrying boxes that were bigger than their bike, on a couple of occasions more than one! I said to my wife that I was waiting to see a display team in pyramid formation making their way through the streets. :)

i Used to have an old video of the centre of Sorrento where about 7 roads met at what was supposedly a roundabout (a metal pole in the middle of a large circle) in the video an old lady with a walking stick makes it from one side to the other in about 2 minutes, while cars, trucks and bikes race past her on every side. I wish I had it in a format I could post.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Going back to Naples, it was common to see bike couriers carrying boxes that were bigger than their bike, on a couple of occasions more than one! I said to my wife that I was waiting to see a display team in pyramid formation making their way through the streets. :)

i Used to have an old video of the centre of Sorrento where about 7 roads met at what was supposedly a roundabout (a metal pole in the middle of a large circle) in the video an old lady with a walking stick makes it from one side to the other in about 2 minutes, while cars, trucks and bikes race past her on every side. I wish I had it in a format I could post.

Haha, and pedestrians are certainly made of stern stuff in those situations 

I always chuckle when you hear people complaining about driving standards in this country.  Obviously we’ve got some right mupputs here, but there are many places around the world where the standards are absolutely atrocious in comparison.

Some of the antics are great for a laugh when you’re on holiday though, as long as you’re not actually having to drive in it!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I always chuckle when you hear people complaining about driving standards in this country.  Obviously we’ve got some right mupputs here, but there are many places around the world where the standards are absolutely atrocious in comparison.

Some of the antics are great for a laugh when you’re on holiday though, as long as you’re not actually having to drive in it!

There are a couple of places in Europe where I believe you car insurance doesn't cover you, one which I have witnessed is circumnavigating the Arc De Triomphe which is incredible, how anybody gets off the circle is beyond me.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 17:06, italian dave said:

Believe me, you can....and get a fine!

I had a gun pulled on me by the cops in Rome once.  Drove the wrong way down a one way street inadvertently. Plain clothes started waving at me in a stereotypical Italian way. My Mrs gave them the finger and they came racing out their car guns pointed. 

21 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Without doubt the worst driving I have ever seen ! Not sure what it is like now, but when I was there the road surfaces were totally worn out, making the roads seem like skid pans !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Hanoi in Vietnam is pretty crazy - so much to that the immigration authorities issue a leaflet to tourists with instructions on how to cross the roads!!!

• Haha 2