IGNORED

Tammy Abraham to Roma

MarcusX

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

I think it's good to see the number of young English players going abroad increasing.

Used to be a bit of rare thing to have homegrown players turning out for renowned European teams.

See more of the world, experience another culture and learn another language. All while making a tidy sum to kick a ball about. Not a bad life.

On the flip side, is it only recently that English players have been seen as now good enough to play on the continent? I don't really remember too many players turning down moves abroad, though the "english tax" probably put some teams off anyway

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

On the flip side, is it only recently that English players have been seen as now good enough to play on the continent? I don't really remember too many players turning down moves abroad, though the "english tax" probably put some teams off anyway

It's an interesting point.

I think we've caught up in some areas with the continent, which certainly makes more players desirable across the board. Don't remember too many young players moving, Robbie Keane to Inter stands out. It was always the top players in their prime, Lineker, Gazza, Platt, Ince etc. 

7 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Not worth 30 million imo

I'm not sure. I think he's been very unlucky not to get more game time at Chelsea. He scored 15 Premier League goals in his first full season at Chelsea (2019/20) and scored 6 last season without getting much of an opportunity. His goals per 90 of 0.52 was better than Giroud (0.48) and Werner (0.21) and was therefore the best in the squad. If you think a Championship striker who has scored 20 league goals now goes for £20m (see Maupay/Watkins/Benrahma), £30 million is probably fair. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. The slightly less frantic pace of Italian football might suit him also. Lots of hold up style forwards and poachers thrive out there - Dzeko, Mandžukić, Immobile. Abraham might do really well provided he settles in quickly. 

Agreed, but not sure the strikers you've listed are just poachers- think they had/have got better all-round games or another. Not sure how many pure poachers there are in the top 5-6, maybe 10 divisions these days.

Good to see more young English players going overseas too.

14 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Might want to change the title now...

Looks like he's banged out a U-ey and is off to Arsenal instead.

I'd understand if he didn't want to leave the UK for family reasons, but my counsel to him (not that he needs it or has asked for it) would be that if at the age of 23 you get the chance to go to a wonderful city in a wonderful country, and play for one of the grand old teams of Europe, under one of the grand old managers of our time (despite all his faults), then go. Go for a year, maybe two. Play well and clubs such as Arsenal would undoubtedly still be an option.

To go to Arsenal right now...it would be a crying shame in my opinion.

Maybe I'm being a romantic dreamer and am ignoring the realities of football business, but if he's genuinely got a choice to make then it surely has to be Roma.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Should help his england chances if he goes to Italy and bangs in 20 plus a season. 

Not so sure about that. Look at the minutes Jadon Sancho got at the Euros and how many goals/assists he had for Dortmund.

5 minutes ago, TBW said:

Not so sure about that. Look at the minutes Jadon Sancho got at the Euros and how many goals/assists he had for Dortmund.

Agreed. I would have had Sancho starting. That said Southgates record as England manager isn’t half bad. Not sure it’s the best to watch though to be honest. The attacking options he had are superb. Foden barely got a kick either plus Rashford and Greenwood (who I know didn’t go) 

Just now, swanker said:

Should be going to West Ham! 

Why? Roma is a much better club / city / education for him. 

1 hour ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Agreed. I would have had Sancho starting. That said Southgates record as England manager isn’t half bad. Not sure it’s the best to watch though to be honest. The attacking options he had are superb. Foden barely got a kick either plus Rashford and Greenwood (who I know didn’t go) 

Why? Roma is a much better club / city / education for him. 

I think he has a lot of potential and Moyes would have definitely brought out the best in him. Maybe the Roma move will be good for him, we’ll have to wait and see?

We were at Wycombe the night MA did that deal. Wherever he goes, we wishi him the best. He had great coaching (calm down numpties who have no sense beyong criticising MA/LJ), great support from his team mates and was a fans favourite.

Best wishes to TA but wherever you go, dont spend too long on the bench

19 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Always pleased when British players get out of their comfort zone and try and widen their horizons. Seems to be becoming more of a option these days. 

I don't understand this, have there been lots of players who haver refused to go abroad or do foreign teams just not rate our players as highly as we do? That plus the "English Tax" that inflates the value probably better looking elsewhere