IGNORED

Tough times ahead

bs3

Nigel Pearson have inherited a basket case of a team due to mismanagement and a owner a sleep at the wheel.  
There are two people to blame for this shambles at the moment and there are Mark Ashton and Steve Lansdown for employing Mark Ashton.

I was never Lee Johnson biggest fan but how the hell was he meant to gain promotion ( Lansdown stated aim every season ) while having his best players sold every year. 

Steve Lansdown banged  on and on about promotion and being Premier League ready ,  and yet having 20 years at the club we are further away then we have ever have been.  

We desperately required a major investment in the playing staff over the summer if we wanted to compete but we now have a squad which will do well to stay up.   

If we just stay up where next next? Without major money spent on the squad we will have a tough few years struggling in this division and then relegation, can anyone other than external optimist see other outcome.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

Remain strong.

Better days with a hotel and conference centre lay ahead ?

? This true .

Bit also may be one of the reason why we are not more successful. 
I found it very interesting if not a little disappointing when Steve L was interviewed on Radio Bristol at the weekend and asked about renaming a stand after Terry Copper , Steve reply was that  Ashton Gate also belonged to Bristol Bears . 

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Remain strong.

Better days with a hotel and conference centre lay ahead ?

Leaving the Gate at the final whistle is literally the only positive at present. Can you imagine paying an additional £150 for the pleasure of not leaving and waking up next morning to see the sunrise over the Gate. Like sawing your own leg off twice.

3 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Nigel Pearson have inherited a basket case of a team due to mismanagement and a owner a sleep at the wheel.  
There are two people to blame for this shambles at the moment and there are Mark Ashton and Steve Lansdown for employing Mark Ashton.

I was never Lee Johnson biggest fan but how the hell was he meant to gain promotion ( Lansdown stated aim every season ) while having his best players sold every year. 

Steve Lansdown banged  on and on about promotion and being Premier League ready ,  and yet having 20 years at the club we are further away then we have ever have been.  

We desperately required a major investment in the playing staff over the summer if we wanted to compete but we now have a squad which will do well to stay up.   

If we just stay up where next next? Without major money spent on the squad we will have a tough few years struggling in this division and then relegation, can anyone other than external optimist see other outcome.

We don't have money to spend precisely because Lansdown let Ashton do as he pleased and never held him to account.

Steve tolerates failure far too much, something that runs through the culture of the entire club.

Pearson will have to be a miracle worker to change the mindset of the whole club single-handedly and in a short period.

I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

We don't have money to spend precisely because Lansdown let Ashton do as he pleased and never held him to account.

Steve tolerates failure far too much, something that runs through the culture of the entire club.

Pearson will have to be a miracle worker to change the mindset of the whole club single-handedly and in a short period.

I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't say that's quite true. We do have money to spend, but due to FFP, we can't spend it. SL has always financially backed managers, but maybe too much on the last couple and that has left us in a place where due to COVID, we're closer to the FFP limit than we expected to be.

2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Given everything that has happened in the last 18 months, give your head a wobble. Remove shoelaces and belts if I were you. 2 games in and it's full OTIB meltdown. FFS.

Not in melt down , just realistic. Not judging on 2 games or 2 months but  3 years of a steady decline.  The end of last season was terrible , performances and results, is the squad better than last year? Have we improved the team?  I would say not , so I can’t see how results and performances will improve.

9 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Not in melt down , just realistic. Not judging on 2 games or 2 months but  3 years of a steady decline.  The end of last season was terrible , performances and results, is the squad better than last year? Have we improved the team?  I would say not , so I can’t see how results and performances will improve.

Although I get your point we've been crap for a long while now. Think it's way too early for this sort of post. We were hardly going to turn into Man City all of a sudden. You may be right come the end of the season though.

54 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Ffs ? another one that hasn’t listened to a ******* word said about recruitment over the last few months. 

51 minutes ago, bs3 said:

We have a proven and experienced Manager at last in Pearson and Lansdown gives him enough to buy one defender and still talks about moving up the league. In spite of Covid we needed more investment in the team and the fact we have not will cost us dear.

46 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Given everything that has happened in the last 18 months, give your head a wobble. Remove shoelaces and belts if I were you. 2 games in and it's full OTIB meltdown. FFS.

You ain't seen nothin' yet...

If we lose at Boro standby for the first "Pearson should walk" ?

2 wins isn’t it :( 

As many others did I believe NP is what we needed/need. So far, I’m not impressed with NP. I’m clinging onto those small positives in some performances that we have. A win Vs Boro will turn the mood of this forum round straight away. 

6 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Without stating the obvious, if we scored more goals, conceding one in injury time would mean absolutely naff all

This is true though. We seem so far away from being clinical enough, and dominating enough that it doesn't really matter of if it's last minute or not, we have always been in danger of a good result just drifting away from us for a long period of time now 

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Fact of life for many in the Championship- could turn around that q and ask how was Thomas Frank meant to gain promotion with his best players sold annually- both before and during his tenure?

Believe we will stay up, bottom third maybe- lower midtable another possibility.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I wouldn't say that's quite true. We do have money to spend, but due to FFP, we can't spend it. SL has always financially backed managers, but maybe too much on the last couple and that has left us in a place where due to COVID, we're closer to the FFP limit than we expected to be.

Covid related losses as far as I can tell are excluded from the losses- plus 2019/20 and 2020/21 are added and halved, the 2018/19 £10m Profit before Allowances is our starting point

In theory we could probably lose £35-40m this season, before Promotion bonuses and remain compliant IMO. Not that SL, NP or the club will take the risk of promotion or bust THIS year- but surely can stretch to 2-3 useful loan signings if financially sensible?

59 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Without stating the obvious, if we scored more goals, conceding one in injury time would mean absolutely naff all

Spot on..  We are toothless going forward at present

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

? This true .

I found it very interesting if not a little disappointing when Steve L was interviewed on Radio Bristol at the weekend and asked about renaming a stand after Terry Copper , Steve reply was that  Ashton Gate also belonged to Bristol Bears . 

But were you surprised? 

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fact of life for many in the Championship- could turn around that q and ask how was Thomas Frank meant to gain promotion with his best players sold annually- both before and during his tenure?

Believe we will stay up, bottom third maybe- lower midtable another possibility.

They are a club owned by someone who knows what he's doing and have a structure and philosophy that has proved successful.

We aren't and we haven't. 

6 hours ago, bs3 said:

? This true .

Is that right? Is that what he said?

If he did and if he meant it then that, to my old banging on and on and on mind shows where the problem lays.

Firmly at the door of he whom we must all be so grateful for. The jockey of his own Trojan Horse.

Forget FFP. Forget Johnson. Forget Holden. Forget even Ashton. 

Mr Lansdown has stupidly deep pockets and has clearly invested his hard earned cash well. Not in our football club but in pulling together a sporting and property empire in BS3 that can make us all so very proud…..

The Emperor of his own Empire remains naked. His interest in BCFC and any other sporting activity goes only as far as it will either feather his nest or fuel his ego.

7 hours ago, bs3 said:

Steve reply was that  Ashton Gate also belonged to Bristol Bears . 

I was also intrigued by this reply and surprised there hasn’t been more comment on it.

Can’t remember the exact phrase he used but I took it as meaning, as two teams play at AG (and therefore two sets of fans and history) you can’t have the whole stadium in just Bristol City memorabilia. He did go on to say that there were lots of Bristol City memorabilia around the ground so that’s ok?

Well, seeing as BCFC have played at AG for over 100 years I would bloody hope so too! However, SL, in his own words didn’t support City when Terry Cooper was around, so it doesn’t matter hey? He is certainly an egotistical man.

6 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

We have a proven and experienced Manager at last in Pearson and Lansdown gives him enough to buy one defender and still talks about moving up the league. In spite of Covid we needed more investment in the team and the fact we have not will cost us dear.

Are you ignorant or stupid

Lansdown isn't allowed to give him money you've been told thid by countless posters countless times

There is a little thing called ffp preventing lansdown from giving money

Or should we do a Derby or Birmingham or Portsmouth or Sheffield Wednesday or the numerous others?

And end up with a points deduction and a 2 year transfer embargo

Your choice

Archived