IGNORED

Janneh

GrahamC

Hard to think there are too many positives after losing on penalties to a fourth division team but this lad couldn’t do any more than score twice (plus his penalty).

It seems as though him, Bell & Conway are in competition for a place in the squad, so let’s hope he gets his chance on Saturday, he’s rapid, decent in the air & will be full of confidence after tonight.

Not sure Boro away is the ideal game for young Scott, so we could do worse than play him behind (or alongside) Martin.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hard to think there are too many positives after losing on penalties to a fourth division team but this lad couldn’t do any more than score twice (plus his penalty).

It seems as though him, Bell & Conway are in competition for a place in the squad, so let’s hope he gets his chance on Saturday, he’s rapid, decent in the air & will be full of confidence after tonight.

Not sure Boro away is the ideal game for young Scott, so we could do worse than play him behind (or alongside) Martin.

Bell was poor tonight. Can’t see him being in the team on Saturday

We need pace to get behind defences. This will get us up the pitch, something we seem incapable of doing by controlling possession with sustained passing movements. A threat in behind will force opponents deeper, create a little more space in the middle of the park and just maybe give us time on the ball as a result to string some passes together. Martin is a donkey, we need pace. In the absence of Semenyo, Janneh will provide that pace. Plus Janneh is the better footballer (the idea that Semenyo could score either of Janneh's goals tonight is laughable). Wells, for all his limitations, must play too, centrally either with or without Martin. Be that as it may, the loss of Williams may prove too much to overcome - we have no-one else to provide his drive, aggression and know how. Massengo, by comparison, is a headless chicken. James cannot do it all by himself in the middle of the park. But let's start by adding some pace.  

26 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Bell was poor tonight. Can’t see him being in the team on Saturday

Great first half, faded second. First proper game tbf. 

Janneh is 3 years older than him & Conway and has had far more senior appearances, definitely showed second half 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great first half, faded second. First proper game tbf. 

Janneh is 3 years older than him & Conway and has had far more senior appearances, definitely showed second half 

I appreciate the circumstances.  Just judging him as a player.  Thought he was average first half, poor second.  Sure he will improve 

26 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Is there a song for him? I suggest this, though you'll need to be pretty feckin cool to get it....

Saikou Janneh
Qu'est-ce que c'est
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better
Run, run, run, run, run, run, run awaaaaay........ 

Nah - I've got it and I'm definitely not......

(Nice song, though, now an ear worm with poor Saikou's name inserted.)

I know he got 2 goals, but overall I think Janneh was pretty average. Rarely got behind the defence or put a cross in.

Marley Watkins scored 2 tonight, but I don't think we’ll be offering a contract.

Was quite impressed with Pring and HNM showed flashes, but overall pretty poor.

9 hours ago, Gumpster1 said:

I know he got 2 goals, but overall I think Janneh was pretty average. Rarely got behind the defence or put a cross in.

Marley Watkins scored 2 tonight, but I don't think we’ll be offering a contract.

I’d settle for someone being “pretty average” & scoring twice every day of the week.

If you play up top & do that, you’ve done your job.

Just now, Gumpster1 said:

Yes, but we don't play league 2 opposition every week.

No, we don’t.

But he can only score against the teams he’s picked to play against & Wells, Bell or Conway (when he came on) didn’t manage one between them, did they?

10 hours ago, Gumpster1 said:

Tony Thorpe only ever looked average during games but he could scored goals.

Imagine scoring two goals in your first start and still only being average!

Yes, still raw. Hopefully will improve. Problem is that we have lots of similar young players who also need to improve. They rarely do. Very difficult to experiment, learn and develop when you are playing in a struggling side.

Feel like these players are being let down by established pros who for whatever reason seem to be underperforming.

25 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Tony Thorpe only ever looked average during games but he could score goals.

Imagine scoring two goals in your first start and still only being average!

Excellent example. 

Thorpe rarely contributed anything else, but at L1 level was a very consistent scorer.

Janneh may be raw but possesses attributes (pace, strength, aerial ability) that Thorpe never did, though Thorpe was obviously far better from a technical perspective.

Akinbiyi was a bit like Janneh in style, if this lad has anything like Ade’s career then we’ll be very happy.

Janneh was the only one who looked brave enough and determined enough to be a threat.

By contrast, when Bell or Wells got the ball they just held it up and played a safe pass or lost possession.

The strikes from Janneh were proper hits which we don't see from our players too often.

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Chris Martin is scoring - in the Championship, why drop him for a raw talent ?

Chris Martin is not the answer for us this season, he is too slow and immobile.

We need pace and energy up front.

At least give the lad a try....no one thought Bobby would cut it but he did.

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

NP said "He’s very inexperienced and very raw still but he did okay at times today. "

So a player in development , not one for throwing into the championship. 

I thought Pearson damned with weak praise considering we'd not have even got to penalties were it not for Janneh's goals.

He isn't a teenager, he's 21.  I'd not say he's a first choice starter, but we're a team short of goals, so perhaps stick him on the bench for a late appearance?  This match suggests he might be a better option than Sam Bell. 

44 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He reminds me of Bolasie when we had him at City.

Very raw, bit frustrating to watch, suspect decision making.

But the talent is there and so is the pace.

Hopefully, turns out to be like Bolasie.

I saw his goals on TV and thought immediately of Albert actually.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought Pearson damned with weak praise considering we'd not have even got to penalties were it not for Janneh's goals.

He isn't a teenager, he's 21.  I'd not say he's a first choice starter, but we're a team short of goals, so perhaps stick him on the bench for a late appearance?  This match suggests he might be a better option than Sam Bell. 

I did post on a few occasions how good FGR were and if we did not put out a strong team we potentially will be in trouble.

I hope this one gives NP some better options and takes this as a learning  curve and he takes on the critic views with some interest but also with some pinch of salt.

In NP I still beleive.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Janneh could become a good player, but he will never have the technical ability of Albert.

I don't see the similarity myself. From the little I've seen of Janneh over the years he looks more like a central striker who likes sniffing out chances but I haven't seen much dribbling or traditional wing play (same goes for Bell and Conway).

Albert was about using pace and trickery to skin his man and create chances from there. We'd just give him the ball and let him drive forward. He was also much more comfortable on the touchline and up against a full back.

I think Janneh would prefer the Wells role but happy to stand corrected if those who know him better put me right.

Archived