IGNORED

Janneh

GrahamC

5 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

Martin was excellent on Saturday. Give the lad a try against a physical direct Boro side, definitely not 

Having watched the Fulham v Boro match last Sunday, I would certainly say that Boro are a very physical and aggressive team. But also a very limited team.

They wore down Fulham and finished the game much stronger than them.

Tough game for us and one where who ever is playing up front needs to be physical and not bullied. 

Janneh or Martin ? Absolutely no doubts that it should be Martin, he should get a few free kicks around the box as well with his experience.

Maybe some minutes for Janneh out wide.

51 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't see the similarity myself. From the little I've seen of Janneh over the years he looks more like a central striker who likes sniffing out chances but I haven't seen much dribbling or traditional wing play (same goes for Bell and Conway).

Albert was about using pace and trickery to skin his man and create chances from there. We'd just give him the ball and let him drive forward. He was also much more comfortable on the touchline and up against a full back.

I think Janneh would prefer the Wells role but happy to stand corrected if those who know him better put me right.

I’m struggling to see the love in for Janneh last night, he didn’t look like a winger last night, to many times he was one on one down the left hand side and instead of trying to get past his man he would come side ways or play the ball backwards. The one time he did do it, he caused havoc in their defence. The boy just didn’t look comfortable out wide. I think he’s a central striker who would prefer to be in the box. 

I really hope he kicks on from last night, we're crying out for wide players and it's all the sweeter when it's 'one of our own'. Side note - if he picks up some championship minutes he can probably expect a call up from Gambia. Just looked at their national side and clubs far worse than us are making up their numbers.

Just now, BCFCGav said:

I really hope he kicks on from last night, we're crying out for wide players and it's all the sweeter when it's 'one of our own'. Side note - if he picks up some championship minutes he can probably expect a call up from Gambia. Just looked at their national side and clubs far worse than us are making up their numbers.

It's interesting that they have qualified for their first Africa Cup of Nations which begins in January 2022 (all going well, it was meant to be 2021).

48 minutes ago, redpole said:

I’m struggling to see the love in for Janneh last night, he didn’t look like a winger last night, to many times he was one on one down the left hand side and instead of trying to get past his man he would come side ways or play the ball backwards. The one time he did do it, he caused havoc in their defence. The boy just didn’t look comfortable out wide. I think he’s a central striker who would prefer to be in the box. 

Strikers tend to get first opportunities wider often as a sub. There's going to be an experienced man holding the shirt and all they can do is showcase what they have.  He took both goals very well indeed.  Composed. He absolutely has to be on the bench on Saturday and come on if we're chasing a goal.  

8 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

It's interesting that they have qualified for their first Africa Cup of Nations which begins in January 2022 (all going well, it was meant to be 2021).

Oh in that case they can sod off ? Lot's of club matches clash with AFCON. Premier League will take some big hits.

The thing that strikes me with Janneh is that he's effective. A couple of years back played a few friendlies for us and scored goals. He played last night and scored goals.

He's got a long way to go but, given the number of players we have or have had who flatter to deceive, I'll take the one who doesn't look fantastic but gets the job done. 

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The thing that strikes me with Janneh is that he's effective. A couple of years back played a few friendlies for us and scored goals. He played last night and scored goals.

He's got a long way to go but, given the number of players we have or have had who flatter to deceive, I'll take the one who doesn't look fantastic but gets the job done. 

Effectiveness over aesthetics every day of the week for me.

Will need to wait and see if Janneh can be effective at Champ level.

Janneh has been watched by a few clubs up the totum  pole. We also have Semenyo to come back and we know this about him too

i saw a lot of stuff about our lack of pace against Blackpool, however we have it/will have it in abundance. 

I’ve seen some comparisons regarding janneh and to me he looks like Boliase with slightly more composure. :laugh:! 

it’s up to the staff to make him a better  player but the potential is there and I would want him around the first team as much as possible!

There is no doubt he is raw and there is a lot of work to do. However, he has pace and has shown on loan and last night that he can find the net. He really does seem to have something. It seems to me that he is desperate to effect the game. A valuable trait to have, even if it means that he can make some poor decisions.

Definitely one to work hard with on the training ground.  at the hptc.

3 hours ago, redpole said:

Could be the residue of the coaching from previous managers; at the first sign of an opponent, play the ball or move in the direction of, sideways and backwards.

Worst culprit is Callum O'D. 

It will take a while to get rid of the negative actions.

31 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

I've always liked Janneh, Samenyo might be a more rounded player but Janneh is a more natural goal scorer. Samenyo always seems to shoot in the middle of the goal, therefore hitting the keeper. Janneh looks to score, hits the corners. 

As nutty as it sounds you have something here. I think some players (at all levels) when they get a sight of goal the target almost becomes the goalkeeper (I know it sounds weird but it’s true).

Good forwards always find the corners Antoine needs to more. 

Archived