IGNORED

Taylor Moore - First Under The Bus!

Cardy

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, none of us know whether Cundy is good enough at this level or not.  What we do know is that Cundy is superior aerially and more physical than Moore.

What we can speculate is that Cundy is probably more of the type of CB Nige wants.  When discussing Atkinson he said (paraphrased) “did you see him defend, puts his foot through the ball when he has to”, reflecting the basic values of being a defender are the most important.

But we also know Nige has never seen him play, so we have no idea whether he thinks he is good enough.

With Moore on the way out and Cundy an unknown, I genuinely do not see Kalas going anywhere, unless it’s serious money, PL money!

@billywedlock you mentioned Wells in attitude / vibe above….he was made captain last night, Owers thought he had a good game, etc.  Do you really see him being moved on for those reasons?  I could understand moved on to facilitate signing something “better” (more suitable / younger / etc).

Agree with all that.

But you would presume that NP has spoken to Tinnion, who would be able to give some insight as to how good Cundy is likely to be.  And if he is the sort of player NP is after.

I think Moore has been given enough chances to impress with us, so I have no problem if he is moved on.  

2 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

Moore was left CB last night I think. We saw last season that he struggles in that position. That may well of affected his performance. (Apologies if he was right CB)

….and yet I think he played his best Champ football us as LCB2 with Ashley Williams RCB2.  Perhaps Ashley just talked him through it?

I think Moore is “vocal”, but more from a geeing up and getting out from deep, e.g. after a clearance, so it doesn’t surprise people said they heard him last night.  But….I’m not sure he’s a “talker”, a passer on of info to his teammates, e.g. touch tight, left shoulder, etc.

I always thought his physical strengths and weaknesses were more suited to right back than centre back at championship level. 

Doesn’t seem to  quite have the strength, height and power to play centre back in this league, but I felt his stamina and enthusiasm could be effective in terms of the amount of pressing and overlaps a full back needs to do. I also wouldn’t describe him as slow so feel he would do ok in one on one duals out wide, with solid defensive skills. Where he seems to struggle is decision making from centre back…..when to come and attack the first ball v.s when to hold his position or sweep in behind.  He clearly wants to do well and be commanding in that role but this sometimes means making the wrong decision at the wrong time and either isolating himself or the other centre back. He probably also feels he has to prove a point in every game which does not help. With this. 

If we do sell him it will be another significant financial lost, I guess given this and the fact he seems a top professional is why I would like to find a way for him to succeed here.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Playing Devil’s advocate, I think Appleton is tarred from working under Ashton. But actually he’s done better since he went elsewhere.  Maybe Ashton held him back / forced his ideas on him?

Tarred and feathered hopefully Dave! If you're gonna do a job.......

12 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I feel there's a bit of an overreaction to Pearson's comments. 

He was asked about how he felt the Centre Backs performed, and he stated that he felt Kalas played well. 

Gregor was the one to prompt the response about Moore. 

Pearson's response was again clear, he felt Kalas performed well. 

He didn't single Moore out in any way. In fact, Gregor was the one to do so. 

Moore seems like a great guy, who is polite and respectful. However, from a playing point of view, he hasn't taken his opportunities when presented with them. 

He signed 5 years ago, and is still 4th choice. He was the England youth team captain when he signed and simply hasn't fulfilled his potential. 

He's a player that you really want to see do well because he comes across as a likeable character. However, after being here for 5 years, it seems abit too comfortable. I believe a move away would do him the world of good and he may push for a starting place at another club, but I feel he will have to drop down to League One to do so.  

In regards to the squad as a whole, Pearson wants players to stand up and be counted, and anyone not up to the task will be moved on. 

We need to generate funds for new players, and some seem to be making Pearson's decision much easier, whether that be with their performances or their mentality (Nagy asking to leave etc.). 

We are still very much in a transitional phase, and the re-build is far from complete. We still require a mass overhaul of this squad in order to compete, and it won't happen overnight.

There are times when Pearson's comments can come across as arrogant or rude, but I actually appreciate the openness and honesty. We have been fed lies and false hopes in years gone by from the likes of Johnson and Ashton. 

Performances and results obviously need to improve, but we must still remember that Pearson will not play nice all the time, nor should he have to in order to complete the project he has been tasked with. 

I agree with your first point. I read Pearson’s comment as more of a pop at Gregor than Taylor Moore, i.e. along the lines of I’ve just told you that Kalas played well; I wasn’t commenting on Moore. 

1 hour ago, Street red said:

So I'm looking at that and thinking 1 entire tackle from two centre halves the entire game? 

Most data sites only count sliding tackles under category of “tackles”.  According to Wyscout, City made 4, FGR made 1.

Wyscout cover a multitude of things under defensive duels;

image.thumb.jpeg.6c2b1b7abffaadeac5a15d0d8f1ae1dd.jpeg

Details

• A Defensive duel is always paired to an Offensive Duel from the player of another team.

Attributes

Successful: Yes / No

If the defensive player stopped the progression of the attacking player with the ball and didn't commit a foul, the defensive duel is considered won (and the linked offensive duel is considered lost). See the full definition in Offensive Duel.

Examples of a won defensive duel:

1. defending player dispossesses the attacker
  2. defending player kicks the ball out
  3. the attacker stays with the ball, but the defender forces him to go back

If a defending player lets the attacking player progress with the ball, it's considered a lost defensive duel (and a won Offensive duel for the player with the ball, see Offensive duel for more details).

11 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Shop window perhaps ?

Maybe but he’s just come off a high profile summer tournament and I’m not sure a League cup 1st round match v a L2 team is going to add much (especially if buyers aren’t from England)? Plus what if he got injured, we’re lumbered with paying him for at least 3+ months.

Hang on - lots of criticism of Moore on the 2nd FGR goal - surely Kalas was equally (or more) to blame? 

Moore got shoved. Then he got back tight to Matt. Meanwhile Kalas got into position on his side and then got drawn to the ball leaving the goalscorer with a free shot on goal. 

The goal was on Kalas' side

I'm not arguing that that Taylor Moore has a fantastic future at the club, but I find Pearson's comments really odd and I find this thread really strange too. The clamour to blame Moore and defend Pearson's comments seems like dissonance to me.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Hang on - lots of criticism of Moore on the 2nd FGR goal - surely Kalas was equally (or more) to blame? 

Moore got shoved. Then he got back tight to Matt. Meanwhile Kalas got into position on his side and then got drawn to the ball leaving the goalscorer with a free shot on goal. 

The goal was on Kalas' side

I'm not arguing that that Taylor Moore has a fantastic future at the club, but I find Pearson's comments really odd and I find this thread really strange too. The clamour to blame Moore and defend Pearson's comments seems like dissonance to me.

That goal wasn't just down to Moore. Janneh was just stood watching.

Needs to go, is a walking mistake at this level. Might be a nice guy but has nothing to do with football. 

Hes weak, positioning is abysmal and his passing is poor. 

Another Hörður situation of keeping a not very good footballer around because he’s a good popular guy 

20 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Needs to go, is a walking mistake at this level. Might be a nice guy but has nothing to do with football. 

Another Hörður situation of keeping a not very good footballer around because he’s a good popular guy 

I would take Hörður over Taylor Moore.

6 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

I rated Hörður.  23 when he signed, 25 when he left….about to hit his prime.

In some ways Atkinson is the new Magnússon, with possibly (on very early viewing) more to his game in a few key areas….aerial, passing, defending.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In some ways Atkinson is the new Magnússon, with possibly (on very early viewing) more to his game in a few key areas….aerial, passing, defending.

I rated him too.

Always find it amusing that the good footballing team of 17/18 for those few months often featured the much maligned Wright and Magnússon.

They weren't stars but they were solid and an important foundation in many of the games then - and enabled some of the other players around them.

11 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I rated him too.

Always find it amusing that the good footballing team of 17/18 for those few months often featured the much maligned Wright and Magnússon.

They weren't stars but they were solid and an important foundation in many of the games then - and enabled some of the other players around them.

Mags at LB allowed Bryan to play LM, where he was excellent.

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I rated him too.

Plenty on here mentioned this - four defenders across the defence. And plenty kept saying Joe Bryan is no great defender but he's got something going forward. 

But because the very top sides and the most admired coaches in the country have galloping, offensive full backs carving defences open then every bloody ("progressive") coach down the pyramid does the same despite there being only a handful of fullbacks that can manage this and be defensively solid. Madness.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Mags at LB allowed Bryan to play LM, where he was excellent.

That was a great pairing. Johnson had something against it though, Mags did make the same mistake, twice, but Johnson had something against him. No excuse for throwing him under the Bus for Preston when I think he came on as Sub, at 2 or 3 - 0 down.

6 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I rated him too.

I personally think if we had two players of better quality and took those two out we’d have got promoted or very close. 

Their careers since have shown this isn’t their level. 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think Hörður was ever going to progress in his career from City?

I see it that Webster at a similar age was a different level

On 11/08/2021 at 10:18, GrahamC said:

Last night’s game was a draw, so as you are (deliberately) excluding Boro, it is 2,5,9.

Hard to take a post seriously though which suggests we should have “given Wells away” (because that’s exactly how transfers work, isn’t it?) & kept Famara, who apart from phoning it in after Xmas, clearly didn’t want to stay anyway.

We are in a tough place, Pearson hasn’t got everything right (who does?) but I guess you are suggesting he’s to blame for where we are, which seeing the hospital pass that Ashton & LJ left him, is just nonsense.

Happy to see where we are 15 games in, but as others have said, his hands are tied & it will be a bumpy ride at times. 

Cannot see how someone we only brought here as a sweetener and as part of the Brownhill deal is going to lead the line and carry us through the coming seasons. 10 goals in 46 games last season by far the worst in games to goalscoring for a striker in many, many years.

Yes I know about the "service" he was getting from the rest of the players and NP must rate him to make him captain in a cup game.........but maybe not enough for a start in a league game....maybe today though?

Do you know Fammy wanted to go by the way? maybe he wanted just more money? We needed a fammy replacement much more than another defender isnt there anymore Liecs oldboys we could bring in.

8 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Do you think Hörður was ever going to progress in his career from City?

I see it that Webster at a similar age was a different level

Webster was a different level, no doubt, but I thought Mags was a good learner, just that Johnson messed him around and shattered his confidence.

On 13/08/2021 at 11:05, Bs4Red said:

comparing him to Magnússon is ridiculous.

We played the best football of the last 6 years with him in the team.

7 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Cannot see how someone we only brought here as a sweetener and as part of the Brownhill deal is going to lead the line and carry us through the coming seasons. 10 goals in 46 games last season by far the worst in games to goalscoring for a striker in many, many years.

Yes I know about the "service" he was getting from the rest of the players and NP must rate him to make him captain in a cup game.........but maybe not enough for a start in a league game....maybe today though?

Do you know Fammy wanted to go by the way? maybe he wanted just more money? We needed a fammy replacement much more than another defender isnt there anymore Liecs oldboys we could bring in.

Why is Wells here again ?

Archived