IGNORED

Right, it’s now the next day..

Silvio Dante

16 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I’m quite disappointed in our start and two injuries already does not bode well for the season, I think it’s going to be a struggle.

If you mean O'Dowda and Williams, the former will be in contention to start Saturday and the latter apparently (according to NP) had a tight thigh but still maintaining full power.

I'm not sure how an impact injury and one coming back from previous injury having some tightness constitutes something that doesn't bode well for the season.

Looks very good to me, at least on the injury front.

7 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

As I said on another thread, out if the 3 we loaned to Torquay a few seasons ago, Janneh was the one I thought had no chance of making it with us, didn’t look anywhere near championship class. Conner L Evans looked class and I thought would step up.

However, there have been many brilliant goal scorers over the years that have looked average at best in a game but scored plenty of winning goals.

As for the rest, I think it’s easy to forget most of those players haven’t played 90 minutes for ages. Training is one thing, match day is another. Massengo for instance has only played a half since early May. I think they’d all play better next week if called upon.

FWIW I saw Gary Lineker play his first game aged 16 on the right wing when I lived up there. My comment to my mate was "He's quick but that's about all". I thought he should go back to selling veg on his dad's stall in Leicester market. Luckily I'm not reponsible for spotting potential.

9 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

FWIW I saw Gary Lineker play his first game aged 16 on the right wing when I lived up there. My comment to my mate was "He's quick but that's about all". I thought he should go back to seeling veg on his dad's stall in Leicester market. Luckily I'm not reponsible for spotting potential.

That’s odd, I was thinking of him when I wrote it. I too saw him when he was young but being talked about as a future England international. He didn’t show any international form whatsoever and I had written him off until he scored a late winner from 3 yards out.

I’ve a feeling Nige wants more from his strikers and I don’t see Janneh playing against Boro like some are wanting 

I said on the match day thread last night that we should have been looking at 2 wins out of 2 now. 

As it is, we’re not but that doesn’t mean the wheels have come off - it’s far, far too early to make that call. 

Because it’s a results business & results have been poor since last season, it’s why people are concerned

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

…albeit I only got back from Nailsworth 45 minutes ago (note to self: do not park in school as advised), so having reflected, this is the “slept on it” thoughts being away from the immediacy of the disappointing result.

Late Goals

People will look at the Blackpool and FGR games and see late goals and think “can we see games out”, but the reality happened earlier than that on both games. Post Martin’s goal Saturday, we didn’t create much but we’re in total control until c85 minutes. Today, post Jannehs second goal (and truth be told from 25 minutes in) we were in control but again, didn’t create much after we got ahead.

So the issue for me isn’t totally in the falling back last five and inviting pressure, it’s also the 25 minutes prior. We controlled, in the main, both games but didn’t look to go and win them. We’re not actually playing badly but we need to play differently (and how we do before we score - it’s marginal but it is a different style)

Niges Comments

In both the EP and official media channel, the one player NP highlighted as playing well was Kalas. This leads me to believe he’ll be back in with Atkinson sooner rather than later

Janneh

Unlike some, I wasn’t convinced by Janneh tonight. There was a point early second half where he totally went to sleep and the fullback got in (Moore bollocked him for it). Max was asking him to move more, and on the second goal, he got a second bite after not making the most of the first chance. I don’t think, despite the two goals, he should be near the first 18 currently.

Nagy

Surprised to see him on the team sheet. Won’t have impressed any buyers on that and the change of KP on really provided missing impetus.

Overall

It’s tough because there wasn’t masses wrong and it was a second string side (albeit with Kalas etc in). The big deal for me was game management. We seem to think it starts at 80 minutes. It needs to start sooner, and sometimes be positive game management! But we weren’t terrible. Some (Simpson sticks out) were below par but we weren’t horrific. It’s a mindset thing. Again.

Great summary.

Any comment apropos what was reported on radio re where Pearson was throughout the game and his instruction, through loaned earpiece, to Taylor Moore at the drinks break?

Maybe I'm out on my own given folks report we were "in control" against Blackpool as I recall at least 3 decent chances where, had they a competent striker, we'd have conceded.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Great summary.

Any comment apropos what was reported on radio re where Pearson was throughout the game and his instruction, through loaned earpiece, to Taylor Moore at the drinks break?

Maybe I'm out on my own given folks report we were "in control" against Blackpool as I recall at least 3 decent chances where, had they a competent striker, we'd have conceded.

For each of those:

- No issue to me. It’s allowed, it’s an effective way of communicating from the stand. I’d question the need for it at FGR as the stand is 5 paces from the pitch but I can’t get heated up over it

- I don’t think you’re on your own. The fact is we controlled the Blackpool game from about 10 minutes in to 80 minutes in. The chances you’re on about came about in the last ten - and if we’d have converted our chances prior, may not even have happened as they’d be beat. I think everyone’s saying that the back end of the game we’ve invited pressure and you’re not saying anything different - but with respect, the way you’re framing it is a bit disingenuous.

I honestly can’t recall many, if any, Blackpool chances in minutes 10-80 (IIRC the post hit was about 85) but happy to be corrected :)

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

For each of those:

- No issue to me. It’s allowed, it’s an effective way of communicating from the stand. I’d question the need for it at FGR as the stand is 5 paces from the pitch but I can’t get heated up over it

- I don’t think you’re on your own. The fact is we controlled the Blackpool game from about 10 minutes in to 80 minutes in. The chances you’re on about came about in the last ten - and if we’d have converted our chances prior, may not even have happened as they’d be beat. I think everyone’s saying that the back end of the game we’ve invited pressure and you’re not saying anything different - but with respect, the way you’re framing it is a bit disingenuous.

I honestly can’t recall many, if any, Blackpool chances in minutes 10-80 (IIRC the post hit was about 85) but happy to be corrected :)

image.png.9351578c5e8991a2c12c07ecc985f254.png
Husband - glancing header 10 yards wide from a corner from their LW

Connolly - one that hit the post

Keigh - slashed half volley from 10-12 yards, like Weimann’s but further out and crowded area

Yates - angled shot from just inside the box which would need to have been special to score (xG 0.02!!)

Lavery - goal

The two earlier chances

Garbutt 7 mins - 40 yard shot from way out on left, over the top (0.02)

Ward 50 mins - 30 yard curler, just over and wide but never going in (0.05)

Both watched by Bentley.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.9351578c5e8991a2c12c07ecc985f254.png
Husband - glancing header 10 yards wide from a corner from their LW

Connolly - one that hit the post

Keigh - slashed half volley from 10-12 yards, like Weimann’s but further out and crowded area

Yates - angled shot from just inside the box which would need to have been special to score (xG 0.02!!)

Lavery - goal

The two earlier chances

Garbutt 7 mins - 40 yard shot from way out on left, over the top (0.02)

Ward 50 mins - 30 yard curler, just over and wide but never going in (0.05)

Both watched by Bentley.

Splitting hairs on my 80 minutes cutoff there Dave with two at 79!!! It plays to my theory - we controlled but didn’t push. That needs to change.

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Splitting hairs on my 80 minutes cutoff there Dave with two at 79!!! It plays to my theory - we controlled but didn’t push. That needs to change.

I wasn’t using it to argue, merely to explain each chance….but I agree we played our poorest in that final 11 (?) mins plus injury time.

On 11/08/2021 at 12:36, bcfc01 said:

If you mean O'Dowda and Williams, the former will be in contention to start Saturday and the latter apparently (according to NP) had a tight thigh but still maintaining full power.

I'm not sure how an impact injury and one coming back from previous injury having some tightness constitutes something that doesn't bode well for the season.

Looks very good to me, at least on the injury front.

Neither available until after the international break at the earliest, not looking very good to me. 
It would be much better if the medical team told us the truth rather than allow NP to tell porkies.

It was very clear at FGR that Williams had done himself some damage, ‘some tightness’ seems to be taking an age to ease.

16 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Neither available until after the international break at the earliest, not looking very good to me. 
It would be much better if the medical team told us the truth rather than allow NP to tell porkies.

It was very clear at FGR that Williams had done himself some damage, ‘some tightness’ seems to be taking an age to ease.

We have a plethora of midfielders, why rush them back ?

Although I do have doubts about Williams and his resilience and I have done since he signed.

Archived