IGNORED

Gregor

Hampshire reds

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Really? I only read the transcript but it sounded a bit petulant from NP. 

How about your centre-backs this evening? Did they do well enough against Jamille Matt, who caused a lot of problems at times? 

I thought Tomas [Kalas] was good tonight, he did very well.

And Taylor Moore as well we guess?

No, I said that I thought Tomas did well tonight.

Hang on - what sort of question is 'and Taylor Moore as well we guess'?

If he'd thought Taylor Moore had played well he'd have said so. Who on earth would guess from 'I thought player x played well' that what was meant was 'player y also played well.'

It's interviewing designed to get a reaction and a quotable line. Treated with the contempt it deserved.

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Read his interview in the mail. Where he says about a fractured dressing room last season . Which was down to Ashton . He’s had no money to spend , so he’s assembling a squad on a shoestring , certainly compared to the multi millions LJ was given. 
so he’s had to turn around the mindset of the dressing room & try to get a decent side with no money. If you think that happens with a click of the fingers then you haven’t got a clue. 

I figure that in this market, a signing of 1.5 million is roughly worth 3 million in a non covid market of 2019. he spent that on atkinson when we desperately needed a goal scorer, so he had money, but spent it all on a position where we already had cover.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Hang on - what sort of question is 'and Taylor Moore as well we guess'?

If he'd thought Taylor Moore had played well he'd have said so. Who on earth would guess from 'I thought player x played well' that what was meant was 'player y also played well.'

It's interviewing designed to get a reaction and a quotable line. Treated with the contempt it deserved.

GG asked if both the CB did well, NP replied that he thought Kalas had, so to my mind GG is asking, what about the other one, Taylor Moore? I don’t see a problem with that. Interviewers ask that kind of question all the time.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

if I was Gregor i would start taking the piss out of Pearson. some of his answers to questions are pathetic. not sure if i am alone here but i am beginning to dislike Pearson.

Some of Gregor's questions are pathetic. But at a time when we need to support the Manager, as he has to undo the mess we are in with no funds to do it with, I find these comments pathetic. To encourage the press to take the piss out of our Manager is beyond belief. 

34 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Don’t you think Gregor might be doing it precisely because he has little to lose?

No. If your job is to report on Bristol City, and you have a bad relationship with the manager then how can you do your job to the best of your ability? 

He won't get any scoops, and the articles are getting boring to read.

I am concerned the Post will look to bring in a different reporter to cover the stories to be honest. 

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Really? I only read the transcript but it sounded a bit petulant from NP. 

How about your centre-backs this evening? Did they do well enough against Jamille Matt, who caused a lot of problems at times? 

I thought Tomas [Kalas] was good tonight, he did very well.

And Taylor Moore as well we guess?

No, I said that I thought Tomas did well tonight.

I've found with GM that he doesn't seem to be able to think or react on his feet so to speak. He just fires off questions written down and doesn't get into a conversation based on the answers given.

I would have countered NPs answer with...' please elaborate on what you think Kalas did better than Moore and where you would want improvement'....something along those lines.

That way he has to explain his answer.

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Pearson says what he wants to say, nothing more. He's said that he wants to communicate with supporters. Dave Barton - hugely experienced and respected - helps him do that. Barton isn't trying to generate clicks. (of course I know Barton works for the club!)

I don't personally think it's anything to do with 'being civil'. Gregor is trying to generate one or more stories every day, good luck to him. I wouldn't want his job. Sadly for him Pearson isn't playing that game. Gregor had it easier under the old regime!

Well, that’s clearly not correct. NP can been provoked, for want of a better word, into saying things he doesn’t want to say Eg ostrich and probably his comment last night about Taylor Moore. Sometimes he can’t help himself. He plays the man not the ball. 

As I’ve said elsewhere, NP seldom seems to appreciate he can speak to the supporters through the reporter. And we - I - want a bit more than the anodyne club interviews.

It’s not difficult to control ‘hostile’ media interactions - if you can control yourself.

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

GG asked if both the CB did well, NP replied that he thought Kalas had, so to my mind GG is asking, what about the other one, Taylor Moore? I don’t see a problem with that. Interviewers ask that kind of question all the time.

No - Gregor asked 'and Taylor Moore as well we guess' - which is a) barely a question and b) putting words into Pearson's mouth. 'No' Pearson replied, 'I said that Tomas did well tonight' ... which is then variously interpreted on here by either him throwing Taylor Moore under the bus - a player he'd not even mentioned by name - or petulance.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've found with GM that he doesn't seem to be able to think or react on his feet so to speak. He just fires off questions written down and doesn't get into a conversation based on the answers given.

I would have countered NPs answer with...' please elaborate on what you think Kalas did better than Moore and where you would want improvement'....something along those lines.

He doesn’t though. Can just say something flippant to that as well. 

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

Well, that’s clearly not correct. NP can been provoked, for want of a better word, into saying things he doesn’t want to say Eg ostrich and probably his comment last night about Taylor Moore. Sometimes he can’t help himself. He plays the man not the ball. 

As I’ve said elsewhere, NP seldom seems to appreciate he can speak to the supporters through the reporter. And we - I - want a bit more than the anodyne club interviews.

It’s not difficult to control ‘hostile’ media interactions - if you can control yourself.

Pearson is speaking to supporters through interviews with the club, which are very insightful. I learn far more from them that I do from anything in the Post.

If folk on here want to create a narrative of a man not in control of his emotions when confronted by Gregor I guess that's their choice. I feel for Gregor. He's paid to generate clicks. 

I think it’s quite interesting this evolving manager/media relationship. Think Gregor actually get loads of information from very abrupt short answers - probably more than if he’d been given long ‘diplomatic evasive’ answers. 

In combination between Gregor’s and the official channel, I’m certainly getting the full colour picture of what is going on at the Club. 

I find it quite refreshing tbh. 

42 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Overreaction?  We haven’t won a match for five months; we’ve conceded a lead in the final minute in two successive games; and we’ve been knocked out of a cup by a team two divisions below us.  In what sense is criticising the manager an overreaction?

Criticising our run of results is fair enough.

Those who criticise purely because they don't like they way he conducts his media duties? Nah, not for me.

Couldn't give a toss what he's like to the media personally.

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

No - Gregor asked 'and Taylor Moore as well we guess' - which is a) barely a question and b) putting words into Pearson's mouth. 'No' Pearson replied, 'I said that Tomas did well tonight' ... which is then variously interpreted on here by either him throwing Taylor Moore under the bus - a player he'd not even mentioned by name - or petulance.

Sorry, I don’t agree. He asked about both CBs. If I was GG I would have answered, “I know you said Kalas did well but I asked about both of them?”

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

He tried to do that when asking about wells being named captain and was there anything behind the scenes happening with kalas, and pearson told him he wouldnt tell him if there was.

gregor sometimes adds a little bit to questions to give context, which also attempts to add some flow to a conversation, but hes getting nothing out of pearson.

the thing is, the purpose of these interviews is to report back to the fans of the club who want to know what’s happening. If pearson responds in the way he is, he’s basically putting a wall up to the supporters who are paying his salary, its not necessary.

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Pearson is speaking to supporters through interviews with the club, which are very insightful. I learn far more from them that I do from anything in the Post.

If folk on here want to create a narrative of a man not in control of his emotions when confronted by Gregor I guess that's their choice. I feel for Gregor. He's paid to generate clicks. 

You learn from club interviews what the club wants to tell you - a bit like Russia or North Korea (to exaggerate to make a point). And that's fine if you are happy with that.

The job of independent journalism is to find out what's really happening. Eg a bit of info on Joe Williams' injury in the first part of last season. That question was never asked by Dave Barton.

You do learn something from DB's interviews, but I prefer a fuller picture - if possible. So I say: 'keep going, Gregor. You don't always get it right but at least you're having a decent go.' Even NP said independent journalism is important. 

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

He tried to do that when asking about wells being named captain and was there anything behind the scenes happening with kalas, and pearson told him he wouldnt tell him if there was.

gregor sometimes adds a little bit to questions to give context, which also attempts to add some flow to a conversation, but hes getting nothing out of pearson.

the thing is, the purpose of these interviews is to report back to the fans of the club who want to know what’s happening. If pearson responds in the way he is, he’s basically putting a wall up to the supporters who are paying his salary, its not necessary.

Whether by intention or petulance, that response to Gregor’s question on Moore was far more revealing about his thoughts than the diplomatic, long winded response along the lines ‘well, thought they both did ok, Kalas for me was a rock, blah, blah ….’ 

As I said above I actually think - whether he means it or not - Nige is giving loads of information away about his inner thoughts to Gregor - not least, that he doesn’t rate him much - but that doesn’t matte, as actually Gregor is getting a really good outcome. Quiet often a silence/few words are more informative than a ramble.

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If we have to rely purely on Gregor and the Evening Post to know what is happening then we are in  a very sorry state. And why would Pearson want to put a wall up to his own supporters. It is pure nonsense.

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I agree with that. Both parties could try harder imo.

Re the question about Captaincy...GM responded with a ridiculous comment...' something going on behind the scenes'...is a stupid question and got the answer it deserved.

Better off asking what he is looking for in his Captain and what difference there is between Wells and Kalas....

When you say something like ' going on behind the scenes' it insinuates unrest or similar.

For all we know NP might think Wells would flourish with responsibility and Kalas will without.

We'll probably never find out now.

NP is unnecessary in his way though.

He could have just said...I've made my decision, it's a private matter, and no need for public consumption.

Ah how predictable the knifes are beginning to sharpen for Pearson and we are what 2 games in? A pathetic over reaction, this re-buid isn’t going to be easy and will take time - the anger i feel is very much towards the owner at this point and his complete mismanagement of the club over the last 3-4 years.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

Ah how predictable the knifes are beginning to sharpen for Pearson and we are what 2 games in? 

I will start judging after 10 games but it's not just this season, we've only had 2 wins out of 16 since he took over so you can't blame people for being upset

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

if I was Gregor i would start taking the piss out of Pearson. some of his answers to questions are pathetic. not sure if i am alone here but i am beginning to dislike Pearson.

He comes across as being aloft and a bit too good for us. Surely he understands that the fans want to hear his views. Its part of the job. I think he is a guy that does not care if he is personally popular or not but he is representing an organisation and has to rise above his arrogance.

Its not like he can say he lets results do the talking for him.

Sitting in the stands will also not go down well when clearly the team needs inspiration.

I really really hope I am wrong but it begins to feel like the City job was the only one on offer and he is using the situation to look after as many old mates as he can.

Long story short, he cannot afford to be arrogant or short with the press when results are so poor.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I will start judging after 10 games but it's not just this season, we've only had 2 wins out of 16 since he took over so you can't blame people for being upset

Which is a fair comment, it’s a results based business as we all know however if fans cannot see the extraordinary job that Pearson has had on his hands since taking over from Holden then they are simply very deluded.
Pearson isn’t a miracle worker, he has had the grand sum of £1.5 million to spend so far this summer, absolute peanuts at this level especially when the squad is a need of a complete rebuild. He is working under extremely difficult circumstances and his hands are tied financially, i am still a believer that there are probably still 5 or 6 of this squad he would show the door too tomorrow if he could but is having to make do as we would be literally left with a squad too threadbare to compete. He needs time and patience from us.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Which is a fair comment, it’s a results based business as we all know however if fans cannot see the extraordinary job that Pearson has had on his hands since taking over from Holden then they are simply very deluded.
Pearson isn’t a miracle worker, he has had the grand sum of £1.5 million to spend so far this summer, absolute peanuts at this level especially when the squad is a need of a complete rebuild. He is working under extremely difficult circumstances and his hands are tied financially, i am still a believer that there are probably still 5 or 6 of this squad he would show the door too tomorrow if he could but is having to make do as we would be literally left with a squad too threadbare to compete. He needs time and patience from us.

Part of me agrees, and then part of me thinks NP has brought in;

King, James, Simpson - all must be on decent wages.

Resigned Weimann, Baker - know Baker took a pay cut but still fairly decent wages.

Say we are paying these players £12k a week on average for example, are they not some youngsters we could of got for £8k a week? Would save £200,000 a year per player. 

For the record I'm very happy with James. The rest I'm on the fence with.

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

He comes across as being aloft and a bit too good for us. Surely he understands that the fans want to hear his views. Its part of the job. I think he is a guy that does not care if he is personally popular or not but he is representing an organisation and has to rise above his arrogance.

Its not like he can say he lets results do the talking for him.

Sitting in the stands will also not go down well when clearly the team needs inspiration.

I really really hope I am wrong but it begins to feel like the City job was the only one on offer and he is using the situation to look after as many old mates as he can.

Long story short, he cannot afford to be arrogant or short with the press when results are so poor.

Hell of a lot of projecting going on there.

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Exactly this. Pearson is still working with a heck of a lot of shite left over from Ashton and Johnsons dire signings, hence why we can't really go out and buy someone. 

Whilst the press conferences are a bit cringe, Pearson has the credentials to take us where we wanna be, and for that, I trust him. 

Who in particular are you talking about?

Archived