IGNORED

Gregor

Hampshire reds

It's definitely a case of personalities clashing unfortunately.

Gregor's tone, and choice of words/questions is based around a "chummy" approach. Trying to break any potential tension, and build rapport with the interviewee. As others have said he's a bit like Tim Messenger in the film Hot Fuzz in this regard. Apologies if you haven't seen the film.

NP does not want to be chums with the media though. So, Gregor's attempts appear clumsy; and hap hazard. They may work with other managers, but not NP. 

It's all coming across now as very awkward for both parties. The only way i can see it changing is if NP softens his approach; or Gregor reflectson his interview technique; and changes his style. Neither of which is going to happen.

As someone who have done thousands of interviews in my job. Gregor's matey style is particulary awful. More suited to a podcast, or phone in; than interviewing/building rapport with a difficult interviewee.

Too many multiple questions. Too many early snide comments, that he tries to hide in amongst a genuine question. You can tell that NP felt right from the start, that this journalist is someone who is trying to trip me up.

Keep your questions short; and concise. Ask open questions that require a response. Gregor should be thinking now, that he's done enough interviews with NP now to know the questions he will answer, ans the ones he won't. Reflect on that, formulate an approach that works; and build on the questioning style that works.

None of the above suggestions will happen of course. The clickbait approach to questioning will continue by Gregor; that will just infuriate NP further.

I can see it now. If we lose to Boro on Sat.  GREGOR " So Nigel, only 2 wins since you started as City boss; and there seems to be no improvement since last season, when are City going to start winning again?" All said in an infantile sarky tone. Cue NP being annoyed in response.

What i wouldn't give for someone like Richard Latham asking the questions again.

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

Not read all of the thread yet, but what really is wrong with that answer. A bit petulant yes, but if he told a load of lies and pussy footed around the answer then he would get slated for that. It's obvious and well known NP doesn't like doing the media stuff, so when you have the opportunity to do the media stuff, why not ask him some proper footballing questions, prove you have some good knowledge about the game. Gregor has said Matt caused a lot of problems, but still asks "did the defence do well enough". Is NP expected to say yes, they were superb to keep a few happy?

As for giving the manager marks, if I read that correctly - seriously WTF 

Shame we don't have more people in this World telling the actual truth to the media, rather than just spinning everything to suit themselves or their mates.

NP listens very carefully to every question. Pauses, and then gives his response. He obviously has a pet hate around interviewers who don't take the same approach. 

It's often difficult for NP to work out what Gregor's questions actually are. As he asks mulitple questions at a time, trys to hide comments within the question; and then doesn't listen in detail to NP's responses before moving on to his next question.

A really difficult professional relationship at the moment; and very awkward to watch at times.

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Cant we do a Derby and sell the HPC  and the chairman’s underpants to raise the funds for a striker?

How about taking a player or two on a season long loan, with an agreement already in place to sign them permanently and pay a transfer fee next year when we might have a bit more wriggle room with FFP?

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

How about taking a player or two on a season long loan, with an agreement already in place to sign them permanently and pay a transfer fee next year when we might have a bit more wriggle room with FFP?

That may be the approach we go down. However there is normally a "loan fee" attached to deals from PL clubs as well as other wage/appearance related contractual issues. Not always the easiest or cheapest way to do business.

Great signing of Chong for Brum though. It's that type of signing that we haven't seen since Tammy.

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Are you able to provide any more info on this? I mean - how can you get an interview THAT wrong? Presumably Cook would've been talking himself out of the largest salary of his career (if true)!

Only that Cook wasn’t impressed with the interview process, and the skills of the people doing it in relation to football….the bit he was trying to sell his skills to them about.

It might not be a kiss and make up, but it did look like Gregor is asking a slightly different style of question this time around - and got a far better set of responses in return. To get the best out of NP, he needs to find that balance between probing for bits you don't see in the internal interviews, but using a question style that brings out the insightful (some say rambling, but I love them) responses

Archived