IGNORED

2/5/9 - Correct?

PFree

Feel free to correct me but this is NP’s competitive game ratio since taking over at City, 2 wins out 16 and 9 losses.

As daft as it sounds though, it doesn’t concern me in the slightest.

The problems we have aren’t of his making. He has inherited a shambles of a playing squad, split and with some players clearly not wanting to be here hence the lack of effort and going through the motions.

Three seasons to rebuild and compete was mentioned at the start of the season and less than three games, many fans are pressing the panic button.

This season will undoubtedly be one where we lose more than we win but, the intention was always to gradually rebuild and stabilise. If fans attend expecting to see glamorous, expansive football, you will be disappointed. Let’s be honest with a Harry Potter wand, turning what he inherited into a Championship winning team is simply not possible.

For me, MA has a lot of this to answer for, simply put, recruitment over the past few seasons has been absolutely terrible.

We all want to see City playing attractive football and winning every week but, it’ll take time. The difficulty is most fans were fed up before NP came in hence patience was tested well before he arrived. 

We’ve drawn two games out of two this season, okay the penalties went against but understand NP has at least managed at the top level and has proven that he does know what he is doing.

It would be easy to start booing etc., over the coming weeks but the future will be good, some great youngsters coming through and a side being built that will enable us to complete in the future.

Hard but stay with it, we will be back!

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Feel free to correct me but this is NP’s competitive game ratio since taking over at City, 2 wins out 16 and 9 losses.

The problems we have aren’t of his making. He has inherited a shambles of a playing squad, split and with some players clearly not wanting to be here hence the lack of effort and going through the motions.

Three seasons to rebuild and compete was mentioned at the start of the season and less than three games, many fans are pressing the panic button.

This season will undoubtedly be one where we lose more than we win but, the intention was always to gradually rebuild and stabilise. If fans attend expecting to see glamorous, expansive football, you will be disappointed. Let’s be honest with a Harry Potter wand, turning what he inherited into a Championship winning team is simply not possible.

For me, MA has a lot of this to answer for, simply put, recruitment over the past few seasons has been absolutely terrible.

We all want to see City playing attractive football and winning every week but, it’ll take time. The difficulty is most fans were fed up before NP came in hence patience was tested well before he arrived. 

We’ve drawn two games out of two this season, okay the penalties went against but understand NP has at least managed at the top level and has proven that he does know what he is doing.

It would be easy to start booing etc., over the coming weeks but the future will be good, some great youngsters coming through and a side being built that will enable us to complete in the future.

Yes and No. NP knew what he was up against. I think he under estimated a league two club like FGR. A bit of a wake up call I think today. Still have faith him though.

Let us hope the critics stay quiet untill the end of the month please 

32 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Odd that it used to be a good squad with Holden as the problem, now it’s a poor squad with Pearson as the saviour. I’m still not convinced, and you can only carry on so long with blind optimism.

Good individuals with a toxic atmosphere.

By and large fans were on both Holden and NPs side. The issue was more MA.

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Whether it's Pearson's fault or not (and I don't think he can be completely pardoned of blame), the fact that the squad needs a three-year rebuild so soon after challenging for the play-offs is a pretty poor show IMO. The fans deserve better.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Good individuals with a toxic atmosphere.

By and large fans were on both Holden and NPs side. The issue was more MA.

Also some very poor signings over the last few years, and in the current climate, they are difficult to shift. The future looks good, but a lot of the younger players are not yet ready for the Championship.

This season, big hope is that there are 3 teams worse than us ?

5 hours ago, PFree said:

I agree with this, Ipswich fans currently think he is wonderful, all the shrewd signings he is making. Such great business. The reality will hit when the manager can't fit them into a team that can perform well together, at which point MA will go undercover, only to re-emerge the next time they win, or get a good cup draw.

58 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Also some very poor signings over the last few years, and in the current climate, they are difficult to shift. The future looks good, but a lot of the younger players are not yet ready for the Championship.

This season, big hope is that there are 3 teams worse than us ?

Bit in bold is exactly it. Some fans can't seem to contend that a 'Big' club such as ourselves drew against 'little' Blackpool.

Our fanbase as a whole needs our neck winding in, and a smack of to the face of realism pie. How we can give billy big spuds to anyone in this division beggars belief, we're mediocre at best with a massive rework on our hands this season.

We need to treat other clubs with a bit more respect. Making ourselves a pantomime villain in the vein a Villa fans insofar this season.

5 hours ago, PFree said:

Good post.

Makes me laugh that even up to the end of his tenure, LJ's disciples were saying "but it took Alan Dicks 8 years.." Now NP gets 16 games FFS....!!

As for the bolded bit, I honestly think some people think Ashton received a job offer, handed his week's noticed then left.

He'd clearly been planning his departure from around the time he appointed Holden, and has basically left the club to drift until he left. Glad he did but it was a bit like leaving shrimps sewn into the curtain liners.

6 hours ago, PFree said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm still concerned! Three seasons with that win/draw/lose ratio and we'll be rebuilding from a very disappointingly low base!

I'd have hoped anyone not wanting to be here would have been at least sidelined by now. 

48 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm still concerned! Three seasons with that win/draw/lose ratio and we'll be rebuilding from a very disappointingly low base!

I'd have hoped anyone not wanting to be here would have been at least sidelined by now. 

I think last night might’ve helped him conclude those thoughts.  He’s given everyone a fair pre-season and now a competitive game.

A few random thoughts 

If we begin at the beginning, it is true to say that the concluding part of last season and the first two games of this have been very poor.

In that time we’ve changed manager, and one coach, albeit on a temporary basis, CEO, fitness team, and we’ve let go 11 players whose attitudes/performances failed to meet new Manager’s standards.  All good moves in my opinion.  Takes time for new set up to bed down.

Two matches are not enough to judge the manager, wait for 10 league matches (Johnson Senior’s magic number). 

one transfer window, with inadequate funds, is simply not enough to mould a new squad.  In particular without a centre forward we will, as any club would, struggle.

BUT

We may strengthen squad by end of window.  Today’s news from Anderlecht is encouraging.  Personally, have never thought Semenyo was going to be more than bang average.  We’ve had loads better.  Nagy looks as though he too will move, simply hasn’t coped with Championship or, perhaps, more importantly living here.

We have a second transfer window halfway through season to do further business

There are worse teams in this league than us however poor we currently look

if we don’t stick with Nige I can’t see us ever getting sorted out as a club.  I am not even worried if it takes a relegation before things move forward properly, altho I think Nige will keep us in this division until he has time to turn things right round.  I am looking four seasons ahead to see us in a position to challenge for automatic promotion places.  Without Nige we are back in the proverbial

One unresolved issue in my mind is the scouting set up. All the evidence we have suggests need for a major overhaul here.  Over to you Nige.

In Nige I, and many, trust.  We have little option.

9 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Whether it's Pearson's fault or not (and I don't think he can be completely pardoned of blame), the fact that the squad needs a three-year rebuild so soon after challenging for the play-offs is a pretty poor show IMO. The fans deserve better.

Completely agree but we are where we are. Having been a ST holder for over three decades, there have been many times far worse than this.

We do expect progress soon and the odd win here and there, and we will all feel much better, it’ll come..

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

A few random thoughts 

If we begin at the beginning, it is true to say that the concluding part of last season and the first two games of this have been very poor.

In that time we’ve changed manager, and one coach, albeit on a temporary basis, CEO, fitness team, and we’ve let go 11 players whose attitudes/performances failed to meet new Manager’s standards.  All good moves in my opinion.  Takes time for new set up to bed down.

Two matches are not enough to judge the manager, wait for 10 league matches (Johnson Senior’s magic number). 

one transfer window, with inadequate funds, is simply not enough to mould a new squad.  In particular without a centre forward we will, as any club would, struggle.

BUT

We may strengthen squad by end of window.  Today’s news from Anderlecht is encouraging.  Personally, have never thought Semenyo was going to be more than bang average.  We’ve had loads better.  Nagy looks as though he too will move, simply hasn’t coped with Championship or, perhaps, more importantly living here.

if we don’t stick with Nige I can’t see us ever getting sorted out as a club.  I am not even worried if it takes a relegation before things move forward properly, altho I think Nige will keep us in this division until he has time to turn things right round.  I am looking four seasons ahead to see us in a position to challenge for automatic promotion places.  Without Nige we are back in the proverbial

One unresolved issue in my mind is the scouting set up. All the evidence we have suggests need for a major overhaul here.  Over to you Nige.

For years, people have been calling for an experienced manager and we finally have one.  You have to give him time.  If we fired Nige, who could we get who is any better?

Didn't Gary Johnson lose his first 9 games or something like that?

A few random thoughts 

BUT

Relegation would be a disaster and could set us back years and no way would Pearson still be manager if we were relegated. I personally never want to see League 1 again.

21 hours ago, PFree said:

It is far to early to "press the panic button" of course but that doesnt stop fans posting "concerns"

• Not playing our goalscoring hope... Wells....and setting up the team around him in our first league game then playing him as captain in a mickey mouse cup game along with a completley different team....who promptly make the same errors as the first league team.
  • Saying he will only play players "Nagy" who want to be here then plays him while ignoring others
  • Bringing in Liecs old boys and then buys a defender while our best goalscorer leaves and is not replaced....yet
  • We have some decent exp players and young guns but no-where near a decent team...... as 2 wins from 16games shows.
  • LJ was given time and money to build after many "next transfer windows" and going again.... we ended up back at the start.
  • So here we are with NP who lets be fair is here for money not because he loves our club, no doubt here for the forseeable...unless the unthinkable happens

So no panic just concerns, 3yrs will tell if we will be challenging the best in this div with our current manager.

26 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

So here we are with NP who lets be fair is here for money

I don’t believe that NP is here for the money, he could probably go anywhere in the world and earn more. 
As you get older your motivation can change, money becomes less important than a new challenge and job stimulation when you’ve paid off your mortgage and have a few quid in the bank. 
I believe that NP is up for a massive rebuilding project and the prospect of glory at an underperforming club with big potential.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet on where we are. MA fed the Lansdowns a lot of BS in the last couple of seasons regarding the supposed quality of the team (eg top six material). It clearly wasn’t as we can see from the players that have left and where they have ended up. 

I personally think we only have 3 above average championship players (DB, TK, MJ) alongside some very promising youngsters. Shows the scale/challenge/transformation required at the club.

Patience required over the coming weeks as a new squad beds in. I personally think NP wants to be here. He sees the challenge and also the opportunity. I hope he succeeds and ignores the noise.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

It is far to early to "press the panic button" of course but that doesnt stop fans posting "concerns"

• Not playing our goalscoring hope... Wells....and setting up the team around him in our first league game then playing him as captain in a mickey mouse cup game along with a completley different team....who promptly make the same errors as the first league team.
  • Saying he will only play players "Nagy" who want to be here then plays him while ignoring others
  • Bringing in Liecs old boys and then buys a defender while our best goalscorer leaves and is not replaced....yet
  • We have some decent exp players and young guns but no-where near a decent team...... as 2 wins from 16games shows.
  • LJ was given time and money to build after many "next transfer windows" and going again.... we ended up back at the start.
  • So here we are with NP who lets be fair is here for money not because he loves our club, no doubt here for the forseeable...unless the unthinkable happens

So no panic just concerns, 3yrs will tell if we will be challenging the best in this div with our current manager.

Fair points, well made. I guess the only we have pretty much all made to this point is Richard Gould - we haven’t seen much of him to this point but let’s hope he can pull a few rabbits out of the hat too..!

This is a table someone posted a couple of years ago when we were talking about Lee Johnson.  Pearson’s 2-5-9 gives him a win percentage of 12.5%.   Holden’ s record was 16-3-18 or 43.25%., which puts him in the top 10.  I draw no conclusions from these stats, just present them for interest.

Manager From Until Hons Games per Honour W D L Total Win%
Sam Hollis 1897 1899 0 n/a 0 0 1 1 0.00
Steve Coppell 2010 2010 0 n/a 0 0 2 2 0.00
Roy Hodgson 1982 1982 0 n/a 3 5 12 20 15.00
Benny Lennartsson 1998 1999 0 n/a 6 9 16 31 19.35
Bobby Houghton 1980 1982 0 n/a 14 22 25 61 22.95
Sean O'Driscoll 2013 2013 0 n/a 11 13 20 44 25.00
John Pemberton 2016 2016 0 n/a 1 1 2 4 25.00
Joe Bradshaw 1929 1932 0 n/a 32 26 61 119 26.89
Derek McInnes 2011 2013 0 n/a 17 14 32 63 26.98
Sam Hollis 1911 1913 0 n/a 27 21 44 92 29.35
Tony Pulis 1999 2000 0 n/a 10 14 9 33 30.30
Denis Smith 1992 1993 0 n/a 15 12 21 48 31.25
Keith Millen 2010 2011 0 n/a 18 12 27 57 31.58
Bob Wright 1949 1950 0 n/a 17 15 21 53 32.08
Joe Jordan 1994 1997 0 n/a 42 37 51 130 32.31
Russell Osman 1993 1994 0 n/a 30 30 32 92 32.61
Alan Dicks 1967 1980 1 611.00 202 174 235 611 33.06
Keith Millen (caretaker) 2005 2005 0 n/a 1 1 1 3 33.33
Peter Doherty 1958 1960 0 n/a 34 15 49 98 34.69
Jimmy Lumsden 1990 1992 0 n/a 27 17 32 76 35.53
Brian Tinnion 2004 2005 0 n/a 22 22 17 61 36.07
Joe Palmer 1919 1921 0 n/a 39 33 34 106 36.79
Bob Hewison 1932 1949 0 n/a 170 116 173 459 37.04
Frank Bacon 1910 1911 0 n/a 6 2 8 16 37.50
George Hedley 1913 1915 0 n/a 32 19 34 85 37.65
Fred Ford 1960 1967 1 362.00 145 100 117 362 40.06
Gary Johnson 2005 2010 1 239.00 96 69 74 239 40.17
Lee Johnson 2016 Now 0 n/a 48 30 41 119 40.34
Terry Cooper 1982 1988 2 150.50 127 84 90 301 42.19
Leroy Rosenior 2000 2000 0 n/a 11 9 6 26 42.31
David Burnside 2000 2000 0 n/a 11 9 6 26 42.31
Tony Fawthrop 2000 2000 0 n/a 11 9 6 26 42.31
Alex Raisbeck 1921 1929 2 168.00 143 80 113 336 42.56
Henry 'Harry' Thickett 1905 1910 1 223.00 99 55 69 223 44.39
John Ward 1997 1998 1 84.00 38 19 27 84 45.24
Steve Cotterill 2013 2016 1 116.00 53 35 28 116 45.69
Pat Beasley 1950 1958 1 354.00 162 77 115 354 45.76
Danny Wilson 2000 2004 1 226.00 107 55 64 226 47.35
Joe Jordan 1988 1990 1 134.00 68 30 36 134 50.75
Sam Hollis 1901 1905 0 n/a 69 24 40 133 51.88
Keith Millen (caretaker) 2010 2010 0 n/a 5 3 1 9 55.56

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Nahki Wells and Chris Martin were centre forwards? Oh well, best stick them out wide then ... ??

Clearly given his comments, Nige disagrees.  It seems clear he wants a tall muscular old fashioned centre forward, and that isn’t Wells.  For the record Wells’s goal average over last five seasons is 10, ie half of what Nige wants.

As for Martin, clearly his best days lie in the past.  His record of goals scored over past five seasons stands at an average of 6.  Well off what we need.

If SL had spent his money more wisely pre Pandemic we wouldn’t be facing the possibility of a season without a striker - unless of course one of the youngsters (some not so young) comes good.

Three cheers for Janneh, four cheers for Nige

Keep the Faith everyone with Nige.  Perhaps not our last hope, but I guess our last hope under SL regime.

21 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I agree with this, Ipswich fans currently think he is wonderful, all the shrewd signings he is making. Such great business. The reality will hit when the manager can't fit them into a team that can perform well together, at which point MA will go undercover, only to re-emerge the next time they win, or get a good cup draw.

There is one difference IMO, this time round. Paul Cook is the manager at Ipswich. Cook is a fiery character who speaks his mind. If Ashton puts forward a player that Cook does not want; I don't see the deal happening. Here of course we had LJ, who appeared to be a more timid character. It is clear now that some of the squad he finished with was sprinkled with players he didn't want, as he wouldn't play them. I think Cook is more likely to stand up to MA than LJ was.

19 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

There is one difference IMO, this time round. Paul Cook is the manager at Ipswich. Cook is a fiery character who speaks his mind. If Ashton puts forward a player that Cook does not want; I don't see the deal happening. Here of course we had LJ, who appeared to be a more timid character. It is clear now that some of the squad he finished with was sprinkled with players he didn't want, as he wouldn't play them. I think Cook is more likely to stand up to MA than LJ was.

You are right about Paul Cook and Ipswich will perhaps get success in spite of Mark Ashton. But to me the volume of  signings seem designed more as an impact statement than a manager carefully choosing a squad. My feeling is that this has more of a Mark Ashton hallmark than a Paul Cook one. Paul Cook is known for getting the best out of a small squad on a tight budget. Ipswich (and in my view Mark Ashton) are throwing the new owner's money around.
IN: 
Wes Burns (Fleetwood)
 Lee Evans (Wigan)
 Rekeem Harper (West Brom)
 Macauley Bonne (QPR)
 Vaclav Hladky (Salford)
 Matt Penney (Sheff Weds)
 Joe Pigott (AFC Wimbledon)
 Scott Fraser (MK Dons)
 George Edmundson (Rangers)
 Conor Chaplin (Barnsley)
 Louie Barry (Aston Villa)