IGNORED

A football first last night

Kid in the Riot

When Moore was passed a wireless earpiece in the first half during a break in play....the earpiece was connected to Pearson in the stand who gave him instructions. Anyone ever seen that in a game of football before, or has heard of it happening? 

Given Nige's post-match comments, maybe we can assume that whatever Moore was told, he didn't listen very well!

A wider point on this, is this really the right time for Nige to start experimenting with things like this, and sitting up in the stand, when we are so desperate for a result or two? 

I can't help but think we maybe need his presence on the touchline right now, in a position the players are more accustomed to seeing their manager...

Agree. I said similar last night, and the Villa and Blackpool games, that Pearson’s absence from the touch line bugs me. I’m sure he’s in constant dialogue with whoever is on the touch line, but there’s always a delay. And when you watch someone like Warnock constantly in the fourth officials ear, I like to see that from our boss, making his presence known and putting a bit of pressure on the officials and the players first hand. 
I guess football has changed over the years and this might just be modern football… but I don’t like it!

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When Moore was passed a wireless earpiece in the first half during a break in play....the earpiece was connected to Pearson in the stand who gave him instructions. Anyone ever seen that in a game of football before, or has heard of it happening? 

Given Nige's post-match comments, maybe we can assume that whatever Moore was told, he didn't listen very well!

A wider point on this, is this really the right time for Nige to start experimenting with things like this, and sitting up in the stand, when we are so desperate for a result or two? 

I can't help but think we maybe need his presence on the touchline right now, in a position the players are more accustomed to seeing their manager...

Is that even legal? Must be I guess but a bit bizarre.

13 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

As Ole said on OSIB, there is the fear that we have Pearson Mk2, the "Scientist" (albeit the misanthropic and curmudgeonly one) rather than the tried and tested Pearson Mk1.

There’s some truth in that. It’s like he’s morphing into a hybrid manager-director of football… but one who doesn’t want to do transfer dealings and doesn’t do the day to day coaching. 

He seems very calm other than picking meaningless battles with the press. 

it’s hard to see how a furious, snarling Pearson wouldn’t be helpful - certainly late in games. 

12 minutes ago, BCFC_95 said:

Agree. I said similar last night, and the Villa and Blackpool games, that Pearson’s absence from the touch line bugs me. I’m sure he’s in constant dialogue with whoever is on the touch line, but there’s always a delay. And when you watch someone like Warnock constantly in the fourth officials ear, I like to see that from our boss, making his presence known and putting a bit of pressure on the officials and the players first hand. 
I guess football has changed over the years and this might just be modern football… but I don’t like it!

He could be a trailblazing innovator and all managers will be following suit in the next couple of years, or more likely it'll go down as a failed experiment. 

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

Is that even legal?

That did cross my mind too. Don't know, as I said, literally never seen it before. You'd have thought the club would have checked, and the officials for that matter.

I’m in the other camp.

We’ve structural issues. It’s not a case of tweaking things, which you can see and correct from the touch line. He needs an good overview of things at the moment. Shape, patterns of play, individuals performances/positioning. Far easier to observe that from the stands than the view from the touch line. 

Maybe following the Bears approach with Pat Lam up in the stands with a bloke on a computer feeding real-time information. The only problem the computer batteries seem to run out on 90 minutes. 

But for Christ-sakes losing to a village pub team…  can’t get over this one …. just un…for…give…able.

Maybe Mark Ashton’s credited legacy of the ‘High Performance Centre’ is just a reflection of his entire tenure with us. Have we actually won a competitive game since it was opened? 

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nige wasn’t sitting at the back of the away end staring at a fence? Could explain a lot…?

I think he's been doing that off and on for years.

First few games he'll get a better perspective from the stands to assess shape, positioning etc. which you can't see properly from the touchline.

He'll maybe revert to the touchline once that is sorted out to his satisfaction.

maybe a question for GMG (if he can phrase it without sounding as if he's digging for something).

I've always found it odd that coaches/managers are wedded to standing in the dugout/touchline. You see so much less than in a more elevated position. 

Pearson in the stands giving real time instructions to someone on the touchline to holler out immediately seems to be a much preferable option if you ask me. 

The earpiece thing is interesting. A direct link to the skipper could be nice bit of innovation (if legal, of course!) 

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I've always found it odd that coaches/managers are wedded to standing in the dugout/touchline. You see so much less than in a more elevated position. 

This

Plus given the advance in tech he can easily stay in touch with his coaches on the touchline, who he obviously trusts.
I think this may change down the line, maybe 45 in the stand then move down. But it is clearly a better view higher up and you can see how play is really going. More important while he's trying to get new ideas and new organisation into the squad.

Needing an overview, from on high, to check what everyone is doing indicates one thing - the manager doesn't trust enough of them, yet, to be doing what he expects of them.

That's where we're at right now. We're running around more than last season but the manager isn't convinced, yet, that it's too much effect. 

We're in such a pickle, he's had to resort to signing a 34 year old has-been Right Back and a 32 year old has-been midfielder, not because they're great players but because he can trust them to understand what he expects of them (whether they can execute what he expects is another matter). Plus James, who we can expect to execute the manager's directions, that's 3 players out of 20+ he currently trusts. 

We are up shit creek and, due to FFP, we haven't got a paddle either.    

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Needing an overview, from on high, to check what everyone is doing indicates one thing - the manager doesn't trust enough of them, yet, to be doing what he expects of them.

That's where we're at right now. We're running around more than last season but the manager isn't convinced, yet, that it's too much effect. 

We're in such a pickle, he's had to resort to signing a 34 year old has-been Right Back and a 32 year old has-been midfielder, not because they're great players but because he can trust them to understand what he expects of them (whether they can execute what he expects is another matter). Plus James, who we can expect to execute the manager's directions, that's 3 players out of 20+ he currently trusts. 

We are up shit creek and, due to FFP, we haven't got a paddle either.    

I was thinking that too.

Who, out of our massive squad of players, could you trust to put a ‘foot in where it hurts’, who has a ‘do or die’ attitude.

Anyone? Any ‘winners’ out there?

Bakes possibly, but he seems to be made of glass. Kalas, but only when he plays for his national team.

Frightening. The worry is that Simpson looks like he’s well past his sell-by date, King and James I just hope have the legs for a couple of seasons. Atkinson, maybe, but let’s hope he’s not influenced by the Club’s dominant ‘strain’.

Thanks Ashton and LJ. What an absolute ****fest.

13 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I was thinking that too.

Who, out of our massive squad of players, could you trust to put a ‘foot in where it hurts’, who has a ‘do or die’ attitude.

Anyone? Any ‘winners’ out there?

Bakes possibly, but he seems to be made of glass. Kalas, but only when he plays for his national team.

Frightening. The worry is that Simpson looks like he’s well past his sell-by date, King and James I just hope have the legs for a couple of seasons. Atkinson, maybe, but let’s hope he’s not influenced by the Club’s dominant ‘strain’.

Thanks Ashton and LJ. What an absolute ****fest.

To be clear, I think he does trust quite a few of them to "put the effort in", to play with commitment and energy. In fact, I think every man jack of them in the squad understands that much, and they've demonstrated it in the 2 game so far - effort and desire have not been in question.

But are they understanding and executing how he's coaching and directing them to perform in terms of shape and patterns of play?

I think he isn't confident, at the moment, that enough of them are correctly executing what he's set out in terms of shape, pattern of play, tactics. 

It's early days, and the penny might drop with enough of them eventually. But due to the pickle we're in, we need that to be tomorrow because the horror-show and psychological baggage of last season must be dumped asap.

Wins will do that. Not even good performances, just wins. 

But if we don't dump last season's baggage asap, it will drag us into a season-long relegation battle.     

1 hour ago, Daniro said:

He needs to appear on the touchline after 85 minutes and look fierce.   Could have got us two wins if he'd have done that v Blackpool and Forest Green.   

He could equally have run on to the pitch to finish the chances that would have had the game won by halftime against Blackpool, or booted the ball into the stands in the dying seconds of the game last night. None of which was accomplished by those rather handsomely paid to do so.

Archived