IGNORED

20 years ago today

Hampshire Red

Here in the heart of Hampshire, Saints moved to St Marys ground; who can imagine what we will be looking at around BS3 in 20 yrs time; one month seems like a lifetime right now?

For those that are too young to remember The Dell, it was a magic, old, ground with tons of (horrible facilities) charachter, terrible views and latterly only 15k capacity. Clearly Saints had to move on or not compete

Unlike City, Saints have had a lot of owners in the past 20 years most loved the tradition and history of the club along with the sentiment of their fans; but there have been some Jonny Foreigners who have not cared at all.

After years of haggling with politicians, councils, financiers etc, the ground didnt end up in Easteligh, on the M27 nor where the Ageas Bowl is now. It is a ground (identical in design to Leicester City) within easy walk of the centre, next to the river Itchen, next to sand dumps, gas works and a railway station that has closed. With all the problems they have had, it seems very likely that should Steve Lansdown choose to stay on a few more years, we can advance to the levels of Saints, and beyond those of Pompey and Bomo (who i think will run out of money next season if they dont go up) in the near future

So, its all good news for Bristol City, here in Hampshire and as the increasing number of Hampshire Reds start returning to live games we could soon be looking forward to more trips to St Marys and the memories of some good away wins. I nearly lost a 100-1 bet when a certain small midfielder for us scored towards the away end; luckily no-one took the bet!

How 20 years passes so quickly

Been to St Marys a few times and I remember going to the Dell as a kid in the early 80s - Southampton v West Ham. Think it was a school trip. I remember Kevin Keegan and Trevor Brooking playing. Your post prompted me to look the match up as I couldn’t remember much more about it. Turns out it was on my birthday which I’d forgotten! I’d also forgotten that Alan Ball was playing! Southampton won 2-1. As you say, time flies! 

54 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Here in the heart of Hampshire, Saints moved to St Marys ground; who can imagine what we will be looking at around BS3 in 20 yrs time; one month seems like a lifetime right now?

For those that are too young to remember The Dell, it was a magic, old, ground with tons of (horrible facilities) charachter, terrible views and latterly only 15k capacity. Clearly Saints had to move on or not compete

Unlike City, Saints have had a lot of owners in the past 20 years most loved the tradition and history of the club along with the sentiment of their fans; but there have been some Jonny Foreigners who have not cared at all.

After years of haggling with politicians, councils, financiers etc, the ground didnt end up in Easteligh, on the M27 nor where the Ageas Bowl is now. It is a ground (identical in design to Leicester City) within easy walk of the centre, next to the river Itchen, next to sand dumps, gas works and a railway station that has closed. With all the problems they have had, it seems very likely that should Steve Lansdown choose to stay on a few more years, we can advance to the levels of Saints, and beyond those of Pompey and Bomo (who i think will run out of money next season if they dont go up) in the near future

So, its all good news for Bristol City, here in Hampshire and as the increasing number of Hampshire Reds start returning to live games we could soon be looking forward to more trips to St Marys and the memories of some good away wins. I nearly lost a 100-1 bet when a certain small midfielder for us scored towards the away end; luckily no-one took the bet!

How 20 years passes so quickly

Out of curiosity are there many city fans in Southampton? I’m not far away here in Basingstoke and only met one City fan

I went to the dell a few times. I first went in 65-6  to see Saints v Boro (ironically, Saints got promoted, Boro got relegated). Next time I went was their first season up v Chelsea. Chelsea won 3-0, it was rammed, getting on for 30k and THAT was no joke I can tell you!

One Blues fan got killed that day, falling out of a tree at the Archers Rd end....Alex Stepney played his ONLY game for them that day after a £60k move from Millwall  (as Bonetti's understudy ), Even then they were paying crazy money !

5 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Remember going  good Friday 1975 the ground was full City were still in with a chance of promotion 

Yes I was at that one, without looking it up I am pretty sure it was Donnie Gillies headed the winning goal.  I also have a memory that all the pubs were closed in S'ton on Good Friday (as opposed to the old "Sunday hours" in most of the country).  We weren't sure if this was because of more importance on the religious significance locally, but as we were in the home town of The Saints we went with that!

Some "issues" in the away end IIRC, and the bunch that seemed to be involved were all chanting "Eastleigh, Eastleigh".  Funny how these daft things stay in the memory bank!

I used to go and watch Saints at the Dell early 90s. Jimmy Case was captain, Tim Flowers in goal, Alan Shearer, Neil Ruddock and Matthew Le Tissier, and co. Stood on the terrace behind the goal, saw some great games, and some great goals against top opposition.

I don’t know Southampton well at all but my friend was at uni there. She used to live in St Mary’s while a student, I don’t know if her house was demolished to make way for the stadium.

Love the story about Pompey contractors working on the build allegedly burrowing a Pompey shirt beneath the centre circle. Then Saints got relegated in their first season there, I believe.

Come to think of it our home form has been rubbish since roughly when the Lansdown got finished……..

Gutted I never got to the Dell, I didn't go away much in the Old Div 1 days. Nearest I got was a cold, snowy December (Think it was Dec I know it snowed) Saturday morning. Got to the Gate in plenty of time and sneaked a pint in the Robins, I'd be 17ish. Came out only to be told the game was off due to weather. Always looked a great little ground on TV. Only been to St Mary's once, got spanked 3-0 , but we did get locked in the Pub chatting with Southampton Womens team. Proper old school day out, even if the ground is a bit dull.

13 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I nearly lost a 100-1 bet when a certain small midfielder for us scored towards the away end; luckily no-one took the bet!

Now you have gotten me intrigued? I know both parties involved in that 'bet', was sat with them & from recall you can add a zero to the odds offered. I also recall that it wasn't so much nobody took the bet, rather before anybody had chance to shake on it the long range daisy cutter was nestling in the back of the net. Hilarious ?.

11 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes I was at that one, without looking it up I am pretty sure it was Donnie Gillies headed the winning goal.  I also have a memory that all the pubs were closed in S'ton on Good Friday (as opposed to the old "Sunday hours" in most of the country).  We weren't sure if this was because of more importance on the religious significance locally, but as we were in the home town of The Saints we went with that!

Some "issues" in the away end IIRC, and the bunch that seemed to be involved were all chanting "Eastleigh, Eastleigh".  Funny how these daft things stay in the memory bank!

I was there as well. Went by train. City fans rammed into the quirky end and along the side.

See the source image

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I met one during the three and a half years I lived there. He was a student who'd stayed on. 

There might be quite a few more Red-Robbo but not willing to meet an upper classed gent like your self  ?

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

2 promotions including a league win (and cup double), 90 mins from the Prem in a play off final. 2 cup wins, a league cup semi final.

Hardly terrible is it

No, it’s definitely not terrible. 

It’s exactly what we’ve always been.

Two promotions from division 3 and a league cup semi.

Sound familiar?

12 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to go and watch Saints at the Dell early 90s. Jimmy Case was captain, Tim Flowers in goal, Alan Shearer, Neil Ruddock and Matthew Le Tissier, and co. Stood on the terrace behind the goal, saw some great games, and some great goals against top opposition.

I went in the 70's. Against Man U, (1-0 Saints win)the turnstile operators kept taking the money and letting people in. Behind the goal, at one stage I had both feet off the ground the terrace was that packed.

The following season Man U won 5-2 with George Best scoring a hat trick.

A few years back a relative was showing me round and asked if I knew where I was "No" I replied to be told "These apartments, not flats, are on the site of The Dell". I felt sad at that.

Driving from Bristol to Soton, in the Wiltshire / Hants border area, there was a pub "The East End Inn".

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

I went in the 70's. Against Man U, (1-0 Saints win)the turnstile operators kept taking the money and letting people in. Behind the goal, at one stage I had both feet off the ground the terrace was that packed.

The following season Man U won 5-2 with George Best scoring a hat trick.

A few years back a relative was showing me round and asked if I knew where I was "No" I replied to be told "These apartments, not flats, are on the site of The Dell". I felt sad at that.

Driving from Bristol to Soton, in the Wiltshire / Hants border area, there was a pub "The Easy End Inn".

Yes, sad. I'd have to look at an old map to see where it was, and how the city has been developed since.

19 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I was there too and I thought it was Trevor Tainton who scored in a 1-0 win.

10 hours ago, MarcusX said:

2 promotions including a league win (and cup double), 90 mins from the Prem in a play off final. 2 cup wins, a league cup semi final.

Hardly terrible is it

Ha ha ,old league 3 promotions and waste of time freight rover or whatever it was cup.

Your making us sound like Man united .

The last 30 years have been dire.

We should have done do much better.

Archived