IGNORED

a memory for you old timers to share some stories

big dosser

Can't remember watching that match, but I know next season we stuffed the Blue Few 6-1 in the ASC before being knocked out by St Mirren getting their revenge. 

Sadly, the only final I watched was travelling to Paisley the next year and watching St Mirren (again!) complete a 5-1 on aggregate rout on us. Scottish football was at a high point back then, and St Mirren were actually playing in Europe!

I think they only ran the competition one more season after that. 

The 6-1 was the game Chris Garland went down on his hands and knees & headed the 6th goal over the line from a foot out.

Proper taking the piss out of the few, though AD wasn’t exactly impressed.

They were even further behind us then than their fourth division counterparts are now.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

The 6-1 was the game Chris Garland went down on his hands and knees & headed the 6th goal over the line from a foot out.

They were even further behind us then than their fourth division counterparts are now.

I thought the Garland goal was in a 5-0 win at Eastville in the Glos Cup Final ?

My memory isn't the best mind.

I can vaguely remember one of these cup matches against a Scottish team. I can’t remember anything about the match other than the Scottish supporters were completely legless before, during and after the match. 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

I can vaguely remember one of these cup matches against a Scottish team. I can’t remember anything about the match other than the Scottish supporters were completely legless before, during and after the match. 

St Mirren? 
Seems to ring a bell

Anglo Scottish Cup memories? The on pitch battle at Hibs where City had two sent off, but won the game on aggregate.

Another game and just 24 visiting fans came to Ashton Gate. It was so embarrassing to hear "Bristol, Bristol give us a song" when we were 2-0 up.

The year we won it Ritchie, Gillies and Gow were in the team. The joke was we had more Scots then the oppos did.

2 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Went to this game, think there was a crowd of around 16,000. Got a feeling that Alex Ferguson was St Mirrens manager.

He was. I was there too. I remember it came a few days after Joe Royle scored four on his debut at home to Middlesbrough. There was a girl near me in the covered end who obviously had come to watch Joe. But he didn't play and the number 9 shirt was taken by Kevin Mabbutt. Throughout the game she kept cheering and calling Joe's name whenever Mabbutt had the ball. I think he scored City's goal, so she thought that Royle had scored 5 for City in a matter of days.

I was there - I must have been about 8 or 9 - I don’t remember much about the game itself, but I do have a vivid memory of the lads doing a lap of honour with the cup & the East End being all limbs when it got to them. 

I was in the old Enclosure so had a good view of it & I’ve never forgotten it ?

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

?

A big regret of my life.  With Glos cup and everything, the local derbys had become boring, so I gave it a miss. Went in Town with mates, had a beer then went in a Sports shop to find the score (different times) . Absolutely gutted to miss the game . I have seen the clip of Garland's "header", I'd love to find it again.

15 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I thought the Garland goal was in a 5-0 win at Eastville in the Glos Cup Final ?

My memory isn't the best mind.

I was at the 5-0 win at Eastville. Every City forward scored 7,8,9,10 and 11. All in the 2nd half. 

19 hours ago, big dosser said:

cinderford town fc was just about to dump this program till a good friend of mine spotted it and saved it for me.

i was only 4 at the time but im sure some of the older gentleman and ladies could share a few stories on this.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

I met Dave Staniforth in a local shop on holiday in Minorca. 

Archived