IGNORED

Newport away 1982

Alan Dicks

Who was there?

For those that were there, you’ll remember the main song that day.

We’ll survive we’ll survive we’ll survive

We were looking at the real possibility of this being the very last match in Bristol City’s history 

Days later would see a meeting at Ashton Gate to see if the club would be wound up or would come up with a plan to save our very broke club

Step forward the Ashton 8 who had 2 choices, rip up their contracts and the club would stay alive or refuse to tear up their contacts, get made redundant and the club would die.

Thankfully those 8 tore up their contacts that day, we dissolved the old company Bristol City FC and Bristol City 1982 ltd was born.

The very next match a week after the Newport game was a home game against Fulham, we fielded a team mainly of teenagers known as the Bristol babes, they were to get a very good result that day, a 0 0 draw.

Just wanted to ask if anyone reading this went to the Newport game? 

Yes, I was there, it could have been the last ever game. I also was at AG for the Fulham game. We fielded a team of kids and the AG crowd cheered every pass, tackle, or touch that those lads made. Although we went down there was no moaning or booing as everybody knew the club was on it's arse and the only thing we as fans could do was to get right behind the team. 

Was there ,at least there were a couple of goals.

The one I remember better was a year or so later , we were packed in the away end , looking forward to a good jump around ,but finished 0-0.

To make the day even worse ,some of the lads at the back were doing their usual anti-Welsh sheep shagging songs that the local plod took great exception to and barged through us all swinging their tronchons  back and forth(I took one in the belly-just stood there!!!!) before removing random guys from the back.

Got to be said Newport is a sithole.

1 hour ago, Redtrojan said:

Was there ,at least there were a couple of goals.

The one I remember better was a year or so later , we were packed in the away end , looking forward to a good jump around ,but finished 0-0.

To make the day even worse ,some of the lads at the back were doing their usual anti-Welsh sheep shagging songs that the local plod took great exception to and barged through us all swinging their tronchons  back and forth(I took one in the belly-just stood there!!!!) before removing random guys from the back.

Got to be said Newport is a sithole.

I was one of those innocent fans that they decided to arrest just as the teams came out and was a mere 16 years old and they even dragged out a 13 year old lad who was stood with his dad 

They arrested quite a few that day and I witnessed a few unnecessary digs by plod whilst cuffed to a rail in the police holding room in the ground

Always remember that day and the £300 fine for doing sweet FA 

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Yes, I was there, it could have been the last ever game. I also was at AG for the Fulham game. We fielded a team of kids and the AG crowd cheered every pass, tackle, or touch that those lads made. Although we went down there was no moaning or booing as everybody knew the club was on it's arse and the only thing we as fans could do was to get right behind the team. 

Wasn't Rob Newman one of those kids making his debut against Fulham? Roy Hodgson was the manager that season.

35 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Wasn't Rob Newman one of those kids making his debut against Fulham? Roy Hodgson was the manager that season.

Rob Newman, Wayne Bray, Jon Economou, I think and a sub Smith I think...all made debuts. Ricky Chandler and Alan Nichols also started and whilst they had already made their debuts they had only played a couple of games prior to the Fulham game 

Line up:

J Moller   P Stevens   A Hay   R Newman   G Williams   A Nicholls   R Musker   W Bray   R Chandler   M Harford   J Economou sub Smith.

The only experienced players were Jan Miller and Mick Hartford who were sold soon after that game to raise some money.

I was there, remember Mick Harford scoring (pretty much the only one who did that season), the ground being effing awful, the Welsh police hating us & the dreadful feeling we could well go bust.

Remember a conversation with those I went with at the time that we would all pack in following football if we folded.

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

I’d like to remember it like that but what actually happened was people stopped going, we had 8000+ for Fulham, but after losing sometime 9 out of 11 & drawing the other 2, the crowds were sub 3000 for the final few games.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’d like to remember it like that but what actually happened was people stopped going, we had 8000+ for Fulham, but after losing sometime 9 out of 11 & drawing the other 2, the crowds were sub 3000 for the final few games.

The crowds did drop but those that stayed kept behind the team, I did quite a few away games in the first div 4 season that followed when local players like Palmer (from Weston) and a 16 year old Nyrere Kelly were drafted in and if we went a goal down at HT or lost ( eg 4-1 at Crewe, 7-1 at Northampton) there wasn't the outpouring of booing that you get now.

My memories of the game are that after getting into the ground thinking were going bust and this tin pot club with a sand pit for an end with a toilet that was a breeze block wall painted Black with no roof are going to be here after we have gone, the players coming up to our end after the match arm in arm the fans singing there names tears in their eyes thinking we would never be together again, that's what I remember, the score? it didn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

7 hours ago, forbespm said:

I was there,remember thinking it could be my last away game.but if trouble with Newport fans before the game,I was in the coach from Gloucester/Cheltenham.we went to most awaygames in those days

Gravel away end. What a shit hole Somerton Park was (well, Newport really!)

Archived