IGNORED

Gregor, Again

James54De

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No problem him having having opinion but in his tole as a sports journalist he should keep his opinion about the beautiful game to himself when writing about City - I don’t read the Post for his opion on what set up Nige should employ.

I’d be far more interested in what Nige’s thoughts are.

Where has this amazing bromance with “Nige” come from? Are you related? Either that or it’s like a teenage crush. Get a grip.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No problem him having having opinion but in his tole as a sports journalist he should keep his opinion about the beautiful game to himself when writing about City - I don’t read the Post for his opion on what set up Nige should employ.

Disagree, he can write whatever he likes....he's writing for his audience in this piece, the fans....not to Nige.  If he does that in a media interview that's very different.  Huge difference between both channels.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

So you expect an independent journalist to be a mouthpiece for the manager? The club has its own media team if you want a nice sanitised version approved by the manager.

Journalists write both factual and opinion pieces and the distinction between them is clear. Or do you think political journalists should not write opinion columns but only print what politicians tell them?

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

So you expect an independent journalist to be a mouthpiece for the manager? The club has its own media team if you want a nice sanitised version approved by the manager.

Journalists write both factual and opinion pieces and the distinction between them is clear. Or do you think political journalists should not write opinion columns but only print what politicians tell them?

Announce Laura Kuennsberg! ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not at all - a huge difference between sports and political journalism.

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I don't have a problem with a journalist writing an opinion but I do have a problem with being unprofessional. His scoring of NP, which does not appear to be the policy of the papervhe represents as its not applied to Barton at the SAGS, is, to use an Americanism, Busch League. There is a proud tradition of expert sports journalism in this country, even sometimes in the past at the Post, but GMcG falls miles short of such standards. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not at all - a huge difference between sports and political journalism.

Why? Both involve a combination of factual reporting and comment. Only the subject matter differs.

If you subscribed to The Athletic for instance would you expect it to be full of pieces approved by clubs rather than independent analysis and comment by journalists?

Still, as I say, the media team will give you the approved opinion if you prefer.

11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't have a problem with a journalist writing an opinion but I do have a problem with being unprofessional. His scoring of NP, which does not appear to be the policy of the papervhe represents as its not applied to Barton at the SAGS, is, to use an Americanism, Busch League. There is a proud tradition of expert sports journalism in this country, even sometimes in the past at the Post, but GMcG falls miles short of such standards. 

Agreed, marks for managers are not my cup of tea. I don't take any notice of marks for players either.

But @Robboredargued that a football journalist should not express opinions, an entirely different thing.

Edit: I should add that the quality of local journalism has fallen across the board as the resources available have plummeted.

Edited by chinapig

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I heard Gregor was going on holiday but he seems to have gone silent for quite a few weeks. Everything from the BP is coming from James Piercy.

Any chance Nige has cost him his job as he did seem out of his depth when dealing with him?

Paternity leave…..just had a little boy.  Gregory Gregor McGregor.  Okay, it’s Reuben McGregor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I heard Gregor was going on holiday but he seems to have gone silent for quite a few weeks. Everything from the BP is coming from James Piercy.

Any chance Nige has cost him his job as he did seem out of his depth when dealing with him?

And it's no coincidence the City content on Bristol Live has drastically improved since Piercy's been doing it. Funny how Nige's answers in BL are more in-depth as well. Decent questions get decent answers. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Talking of | 'Out of your depth".....try to keep up?   Nige and Mcgregorface will be around for a long time yet,  don't believe the hype...they get on just fine.     

• Like 4