IGNORED

Gregor, Again

James54De

Gregor, the new tinker/tombola man. We looked decent in our opening match,  created enough chances and were organised, so let’s rip that up after one championship match! My biggest criticism of LJ was that he kept tinkering with the formation, often during matches, so no wonder we looked disorganised at times. LJ’s best spell was in 2017 when he had less players available and stuck to the team that had Reid as 9 and Pato at 10. So if Pearson thinks our current formation is the best chance of competing in the Championship, that’s good enough for me. Plenty of time for Wells to get game time even in the current formation. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just don't get the fascination with MacGregor on this forum. Poor journalist on a a terrible 'newspaper'. 

Two threads on the first page dedicated to him - he must be loving the attention and determined to get more at Pearson's expense.

He really is the Bristol Rovers of sports reporters.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Did Richard Latham tell TC or Bug Joe what formation they should be picking? Or Peter Godsiff pontificate to Fred Ford or Alan Dicks??

Generating clicks on his employer's garbage website is one thing but this smacks of a death wish.

Funny, though. 

Christ, even Andy Shitehausen wasn't this much of a shitehouse. 

Love it. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

Personally, think the suggestion of a central 3 with Pring  and Dasilva as wingbacks is perfectly logical and can’t understand why we don’t do it. Not as if we have riches of match-winning/turning wingers we need to accommodate  - the likes of CoD have never been, or ever will be, one of those. 

We know also that Moore plays better in a 3 than a 2 - all be it as a reserve.Vyner, probably likewise.

What seems a bit unnecessary from Gregor is the ‘head in the sand’ reference. In my mind though, he’s decided he ain’t going to get anything out of Nige  or the Club, so might as well say what he thinks with no filters. Particularly so, as Nige has proven to be a difficult manager to colleagues in Gregor’s profession and Nige has been brutally direct with Gregor.

Personally, haven’t got a problem with the tense relationship providing both parties are willing to ‘play the game’ and it doesn’t end up with a ban for Gregor.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For info, he wasn’t suggesting Dasilva and Pring as the two WBs, but one of them….then suggested finding a RWB might be easier than a striker.

A magical RWB that we can sign and will bomb forward and make the 352 we've tried for two years suddenly tick? Seems pretty pie-in-the-sky stuff to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Dasilva is a much better wingback than he is a full back, and Zak has shown that he can very useful going forward.  Not such a ridiculous suggestion…

Has Zak shown it? Not seen it myself but happy to be proven wrong by any stats. We've also started working on a new system that is going to take time to work out, unless the switch to 3-5-2 would be permanent we need to work through the difficulties of getting used to a new system.

I prefer Dasilva at left back too but think he's more comfortable at wingback then Vyner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

This is bollocks. There are very few full backs in all my time following city who are less suited to wingback than DaSilva, this is proven by the times he has played there and done nothing.

He isnt aggressive, he doesn't have an engine, he isn't powerful, he has never delivered a cross of any note, he isn't particularly hard working and he is rarely a threat going forward.

You don't understand the difference between a full back and a wing back. You need power, workrate and physicality as the very basics, he has none of those things.

Cheers then.  ?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Although I agree with your general points about it being best not to tinker too much like LJ would. The success of the Pato and Reid partnership has become very exaggerated.

I think many would look back at that season and think they were great up top for a number of games as we were challenging near the top of he championship by Xmas.

I think maybe that great Man Utd win where they partnered each other up top has maybe got people thinking it was better than it was.

They only played well and won games alongside each other in the league twice. Forest and Middlesbrough wins, and then of course the Man Utd cup win.

By Christmas we were right up the top of the league having used many different striker combinations. Mainly Diedhiou with Reid before the Diedhiou injury. But sometimes Djuric with Reid, or Taylor or Woodrow - like in the 4-1 win over Derby.

And even much of the cup success up to the Man Utd quarter final fixture was down to Diedhiou, Taylor, Djuric and even Hinds.

I think though your general point about LJ not tinkering too much back then is correct.

He mainly went 442 and there were many regular starters, not making anything like the numerous changes game to game we saw nearer the end of his time with us.

I would like to see a settled team now that can build some cohesion on the pitch. I don't like the idea of changing the shape after one game. We were in control for most of that first game, it wasn't a bad performance at all.

Agree in the main….the Man Utd game / performance wasn’t what we saw each game, some were very workmanlike, attritional victories, especially at home.  They key for me was how condensed we were and able to pressure teams on the ball, and keep the pressure on when we had it.  The personnel changed as you say….but those autumn months were great to watch from my point of view, because I saw a “team” and what looked like a plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Did Richard Latham tell TC or Bug Joe what formation they should be picking? Or Peter Godsiff pontificate to Fred Ford or Alan Dicks??

Generating clicks on his employer's garbage website is one thing but this smacks of a death wish.

Funny, though. 

No, because it isn’t their job.

Pearson pretty much confirmed that he’s wedded to a back four this week, so I have no idea why Gregor is even suggesting this.

Also, he talks about a way for us to score more goals & even though it is an admittedly small sample size, we’ve scored 3 in 2 games, so hardly a drought.

It really is a bizarre article, which claims we were flying at the start of last season by playing Weimann, Wells & Martin together but then neglects to mention Paterson’s role presumably, because as he isn’t here any more it doesn’t fit with his suggestion.

The players at the back in that run in this formation were Hunt (RWB), Rowe (LWB), Mawson, Taylor & Vyner, so as only one of those is in the side at the moment & he’s playing in a different position & 3 of them have left, it really is a weird one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

These 2 need to be locked in a room for an extended period of time. 

No…..GmG does tho - on his own.

Gregor by trying to take on Nige is cruising for a bruising - if of course Nige read the shite that GmG writes. It’s  transparent attempt by GmG to raise his own journalistic kudos by goading a manger with a previously prickly relationship with journalists into another media battle - but Nige is too wise for that.

GmG would be well advised to to stick to asking well constructed questions than writing this load of bollocks.

Edited by Robbored

2 hours ago, Winston said:

The first sentence :laugh:! OK gregor ?

C14DBCAD-2609-4FE7-92B8-EAD63119168D.jpeg

What an ass.

He's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, in the hope of getting a response.

The trouble is, if/when Nige responds (if he can be bothered, or even if he fancies a laugh) then he will chew up and spit out GeeMcGee (or whatever his handle is) within the first 2 minutes of the conversation.

This appointment, someone with the experience of Pearson, could have made Gregor a better journalist. Unfortunately for him, he's failing miserably and making himself look silly.

As for creating traffic by getting people to click on the link - won't work here. Actually purchased a Post when I was down last week. Biggest waste of £1.30 I've spent in a long time, took about 3 minutes to look through, and that was with giving a few stories a chance! 

The post is dead.

Henry The Worst Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

4 hours ago, James54De said:

What a clown:

”Pearson once famously asked a news reporter if he was 'flexible enough to get his head in the sand', as an ostrich does. Bristol Live, in turn, asks Nigel Pearson if he is flexible enough to get his head out of the sand, revert to a 3-5-2, play his best players and see his team go on to get good results.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/one-simple-change-could-making-5786204

I used to like Gregor, but he is starting to get a bit silly now and may soon be in need of a public milking ??

I’ve read the pre-match presser transcript and i thought the questions and answers were fine.  Will listen later to see if anything in the tone.  But a pre-match interview is a different beast to a reporter’s article suggesting a different set-up.  Nige really isn’t gonna be reading this type of article.  It’s an article for fans, Gregor’s audience. I doubt he even reads the pre-match stuff.

As such I have no problem with the article.  Personally I didn’t quite get his arguments for the system he was proposing.  I think someone earlier mentioned that Holden’s system was very different (5122) so trying to use that as a foundation might be flawed.

The only winner will be Gregor.

Why?

Because NP currently has the fans on board.

Now, remember that every piece in the EP will be written with Gregors spin on it.

Imagine City lose the next 5.

Then lose 1-0 to the top side in the champ.

Which headline would Lansdown want?

"Improving City narrowly pipped by Premier League bound club - a win for City due soon"

Or

"Pearsons rabble throw in the towel again. Lansdown listening to fans and thinking of a new man at helm"

No brainer.

The new CEO or whoever is head of comms will have a word before the Boro game.

I guarantee NP will be told to sort it.

Over a beer or in the car park - but sort it, and sort it now.

Gregor can write clickbait all year and Pearson can do nothing about it. Look at the posts already on this issue.

Gregor can also get Pearson offside with the fans if our form doesn't pick-up quickly - and get NP the sack.

Look on here - theres already a growing number of people calling out Pearson.

NP needs to swallow his pride, and sort it out.

When city are challenging again for promotion (hopefully!) the he can serve up his revenge nice and cold if he wants to.

But at the moment, NP needs Gregor to play nice.

I'm surprised more people can't see this. Gregors having a ball here.

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 1