IGNORED

Gregor, Again

James54De

21 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

The only winner will be Gregor.

Why?

Because NP currently has the fans on board.

Now, remember that every piece in the EP will be written with Gregors spin on it.

Imagine City lose the next 5.

Then lose 1-0 to the top side in the champ.

Which headline would Lansdown want?

"Improving City narrowly pipped by Premier League bound club - a win for City due soon"

Or

"Pearsons rabble throw in the towel again. Lansdown listening to fans and thinking of a new man at helm"

No brainer.

The new CEO or whoever is head of comms will have a word before the Boro game.

I guarantee NP will be told to sort it.

Over a beer or in the car park - but sort it, and sort it now.

Gregor can write clickbait all year and Pearson can do nothing about it. Look at the posts already on this issue.

Gregor can also get Pearson offside with the fans if our form doesn't pick-up quickly - and get NP the sack.

Look on here - theres already a growing number of people calling out Pearson.

NP needs to swallow his pride, and sort it out.

When city are challenging again for promotion (hopefully!) the he can serve up his revenge nice and cold if he wants to.

But at the moment, NP needs Gregor to play nice.

I'm surprised more people can't see this. Gregors having a ball here.

I think you and Gregor would get on well as you both write utter drivel. Gregor is irrelevant. He doesn't write for a big newspaper. Less and less people read it every year and are turning to social media to read about there teams etc.

If NP brings success to the club, then hell be in turn successful. If team performances don't improve in time, hell be out. Nothing to do with what Gregor writes one way or the other! I'm surprised you can't see this! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Strictly Obi said:

I think you and Gregor would get on well as you both write utter drivel. Gregor is irrelevant. He doesn't write for a big newspaper. Less and less people read it every year and are turning to social media to read about there teams etc.

If NP brings success to the club, then hell be in turn successful. If team performances don't improve in time, hell be out. Nothing to do with what Gregor writes one way or the other! I'm surprised you can't see this! 

Probably time to finish your beer and go to bed mate.

No ned to be uncouth

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

No…..GmG does tho - on his own.

Gregor by trying to take on Nige is cruising for a bruising - if of course Nige read the shite that GmG writes. It’s  transparent attempt by GmG to raise his own journalistic kudos by goading a manger with a previously prickly relationship with journalists into another media battle - but Nige is too wise for that.

GmG would be well advised to to stick to asking well constructed questions than writing this load of bollocks.

I would agree but after GmG had a pop at Nige for not doing a post match interview in pre season Nige gave a public reaction both in his comments post Plymouth laughing and saying "this will be the only interview" and his next press interview with GmG where he came across as a bit of a cock. 

13 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

someone on here said Pearson has the fans on board. T.b.h has he. couple more defeats  and i think that might change. i like Gregor decent man and is the only contact us the fans have with the club.

Agree with this. I’m a bit confused as to why so many people seem to think it is an issue that the local journalist isn’t super-pally with the club manager.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As such I have no problem with the article.  Personally I didn’t quite get his arguments for the system he was proposing.  I think someone earlier mentioned that Holden’s system was very different (5122) so trying to use that as a foundation might be flawed.

I agree with this and also think it madness advocating to overhaul a system after what are essentially two draws, one with a second string team and one with a team that, due to injuries and new signings, have barely played together.

MacGregor’s argument seems to be in essence that we need to get more support to Wells and that we don’t have wide players. I don’t think that is a reason to go to a system very dependent on wing backs. I do think it is a reason to look at how the 4-2-3-1 works so that the two on the outside of the three get in the box rather than stay wide when attacking. I couldn’t make the Blackpool game so I don’t know how the formation looked in the stadium. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

.MacGregor’s argument seems to be in essence that we need to get more support to Wells and that we don’t have wide players. 

I don’t see it as the locals journalist job to advise any manager on how the team should be set up let alone an established manager like Nige. 

GmGs role should be to report what’s going on at the the club particularly any player movement, injury updates and the managers views on upcoming matches and recent results. To that he needs to have a reasonable relationship with the manager and by producing ridiculous ratings on him and then ‘advising’ him on how to set up is only going to worsen the relationship.

Gregor is shooting himself in the foot.

• Like 5

It will be interesting to see the comments after today's game. I'm a bit concerned that with CM up front on his own and no real pace in midfield we could really struggle away from AG. 

You can't argue with the stat quoted by Gregor. We don't create or score many goals. It feels like the set-up we saw last weekend could improve our home results but not convinced about it working against a team that dominates possession at their own ground.

If we don't play NW and struggle today then the cry to get him and TK playing will increase. Perhaps this is just Gregor focusing on a topic because he knows it is already being debated by supporters.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree with this. I’m a bit confused as to why so many people seem to think it is an issue that the local journalist isn’t super-pally with the club manager.

I agree with this and also think it madness advocating to overhaul a system after what are essentially two draws, one with a second string team and one with a team that, due to injuries and new signings, have barely played together.

MacGregor’s argument seems to be in essence that we need to get more support to Wells and that we don’t have wide players. I don’t think that is a reason to go to a system very dependent on wing backs. I do think it is a reason to look at how the 4-2-3-1 works so that the two on the outside of the three get in the box rather than stay wide when attacking. I couldn’t make the Blackpool game so I don’t know how the formation looked in the stadium. 

Pretty much 442 imho, Scott played closed to Martin.  But I actually recorded it as 4411.  It’s not a 1 striker 3 forward 4231 imho.  But I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it, ok, maybe a bit ?

In terms of fluidity, no surprise that Weimann often ends up centrally.  Just take the goal:

7BFDCA1F-F832-40CA-8627-99AC25A48206.thumb.jpeg.8a271d1949200a61de91b5a2f8d6ef22.jpeg

Martin in the Blackpool sandwich but it’s Scott the furthest forward, Weimann waiting to pick up loose ball on right side.  You can see shape, back 4, King and James CM, Palmer LW, etc.

341ACAE6-3FE7-4381-B1CF-D7F79D0DE4BF.thumb.jpeg.95b04fe22cc6ac1df033bfcd2c1fbc93.jpeg

King crosses, he has Alex Scott on right wing outside him, who’s made a 30 yard run wide, Vyner beyond everyone on the overlap.  Weimann has run offside but attracts Martin’s marker, who lets Martin peel off the back of him.  Edge of box, Palmer and King.  One other thing (that I didn’t notice when doing these) is that both Baker and Dasilva are t stood hands on hip on halfway line, they are squeezing too.  So we attacked with 7 players, the front 6 and the RB.

Scott is now RW, Weimann CM, James box-2-box.

Much more fluid from a basic set up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t see it as the locals journalist job to advise any manager on how the team should be set up let alone an established manager like Nige. 

GmGs role should be to report what’s going on at the the club particularly any player movement, injury updates and the managers views on upcoming matches and recent results. To that he needs to have a reasonable relationship with the manager and by producing ridiculous ratings on him and then ‘advising’ him on how to set up is only going to worsen the relationship.

Is it that unusual though?

Pearson has been in the game for thirty years and is no doubt aware everyone has an opinion on what the manager should be doing. I don't think it's that unusual for that to include local journalists.

Obviously Pearson is going to (quite righty) completely ignore MacGregor's advice, along with the advice of everyone on here and on Twitter. Which is exactly what he should do. But I don't agree at all the it's particularly unusual or damaging for MacGregor to have done this and I honestly don't believe it is going to particularly damage the relationship for the simple reason I don't really see why Pearson should or will pay this article any attention.

This feels like another in a series of threads about something that really is pretty much a non-issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty much 442 imho, Scott played closed to Martin.  But I actually recorded it as 4411.  It’s not a 1 striker 3 forward 4231 imho.  But I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it, ok, maybe a bit ?

In terms of fluidity, no surprise that Weimann often ends up centrally.  Just take the goal:

7BFDCA1F-F832-40CA-8627-99AC25A48206.thumb.jpeg.8a271d1949200a61de91b5a2f8d6ef22.jpeg

Martin in the Blackpool sandwich but it’s Scott the furthest forward, Weimann waiting to pick up loose ball on right side.  You can see shape, back 4, King and James CM, Palmer LW, etc.

341ACAE6-3FE7-4381-B1CF-D7F79D0DE4BF.thumb.jpeg.95b04fe22cc6ac1df033bfcd2c1fbc93.jpeg

King crosses, he has Alex Scott on right wing outside him, who’s made a 30 yard run wide, Vyner beyond everyone on the overlap.  Weimann has run offside but attracts Martin’s marker, who lets Martin peel off the back of him.  Edge of box, Palmer and King.  One other thing (that I didn’t notice when doing these) is that both Baker and Dasilva are t stood hands on hip on halfway line, they are squeezing too.  So we attacked with 7 players, the front 6 and the RB.

Scott is now RW, Weimann CM, James box-2-box.

Much more fluid from a basic set up.

Cheers for this. I do think Weimann can make a massive difference. We had quite a static formation last season but Weimann is way more equipped to get around the pitch rather than hanging around on the touchline.

Gregor clearly thinks he talks a good game and obviously feels he has remarkable tactical prowess.

Hard to imagine these qualities will have escaped the notice of SL. 

Could these attempts by Gregor to rattle NP be because Gregor knows he has already been earmarked by SL as a possible future City manager, perhaps even NP's successor? :shocking:

Extraordinary if so, however after the baffling appointments of LJ and DH nothing is too ridiculous to be ruled out. :blink: ;)

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Is it that unusual tho?

Giving a manager a rating certainly is!

don't believe it is going to particularly damage the relationship for the simple reason I don't really see why Pearson should or will pay this article any attention.

Its very likely that Nige won’t have read anything GmG writes in the Post

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yep...........God forbid Gregor should have an opinion?  He should sit at the back, and only ask, when prompted  "What is our goalkeepers favourite soap opera?"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep...........God forbid Gregor should have an opinion?  He should sit at the back, and only ask, when prompted  "What is our goalkeepers favourite soap opera?"

No problem him having having opinion but in his tole as a sports journalist he should keep his opinion about the beautiful game to himself when writing about City - I don’t read the Post for his opion on what set up Nige should employ.

I’d be far more interested in what Nige’s thoughts are.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No problem him having having opinion but in his tole as a sports journalist he should keep his opinion about the beautiful game to himself when writing about City - I don’t read the Post for his opion on what set up Nige should employ.

I’d be far more interested in what Nige’s thoughts are.

Good luck with that ?