IGNORED

Remembering Hav: The Official Middlesbrough Vs City matchday thread

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Morning all,

I’ve done a little reading of our greatest ever matchday thread author’s posts and I’ve attempted to write this tribute in his unique style. Truth be told his threads take one of two forms; reminiscing about fixtures of years gone by, or Marvelous historical references that appear to Segway out of nowhere. With history not my strong point I shall attempt the former.

It feels entirely fitting that it’s likely that at a little over 1,600 miles away, I’m probably in with a good shout at being the OTIB member who’s geographically closest to Havana, Cuba.

Today’s game sees us rekindle our favourite love/hate relationship with Ken Dodd lookalike Neil Warnock and his Middlesbrough team. 

To reminisce about our fixtures with the kings of smog, I’ll take you back to the 06/07 season. Plying our trade in league one, we’d eventually win promotion back to the championship, finishing second only to a A Scunthorpe team spearheaded by 30 goal Billy Sharpe (wonder what happened to him?)

But the 4th round draw of the FA Cup that year would see us draw Gareth Southgate’s Premier League Boro (wonder what happened to him?). 

A pasting was on the cards as we fell 2 behind to two early goals at Ashton Gate - Yakubu and Malcolm Christie - seemingly irrecoverable, until 50 something minute goals for a player made famous for shouldering the blame in a drunken car crash in Derby and another who didn’t enjoy a short holiday in Reading would score to take the replay to The Cold & probably wet Riverside Stadium. 

This time we’d go ahead through David Noble only to be pegged back by Mark Viduka. The game would go to extra time, and a late Boom-Boom goal would cancel out Yakubu’s ehopefully the rest of the season xtra time goal to take the game to penalties, which we lost 5-4, the decisive penalties missed by Craig Woodman and scored by future Paedo in the making Adam Johnson. But plucky Bristol City had done a job in those two ties and given themselves the confidence to have the consistency to climb into the Championship. 

Today’s opponents are a different kettle of fish to that of 06/07. We’re up against our favourite pantomime villain, only this time managed by our own. Not unlike ourselves, Middlesbrough have established themselves as a championship team, only having done so by coming down through the trap door, rather than our upwards trajectory (although this trajectory is somewhat questionable!). 

I invite you to raise a toast to Hav and all of our other OTIB friends who are now supporting from way up higher than the upper tier of The Lansdown Stand.

To those who are no longer with us.

COYRs. 

I think if were still here he would think that was a bloody good effort, it will be hard to follow somebody like him but I'm glad you have at least captured the spirit of his threads, let's hope we can do him proud tomorrow and the rest of the season, keep up the good work. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1
24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It feels entirely fitting that it’s likely that at a little over 1,600 miles away, I’m probably in with a good shout at being the OTIB member who’s geographically closest to Havana, Cuba.

I'm 270 miles from Havana. Apologies.

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I invite you to raise a toast to Hav and all of our other OTIB friends who are now supporting from way up higher than the upper tier of The Lansdown Stand.

But I'll join you in an early doors toast tomorrow morning. Nice touch with the thread. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice one Fordy. ?

Didn't Hav just get married too?

I'm sure it was him - maybe late last year?

Be nice if she could get a card or something.   I'd happily chip in for a small token for his wife.

I think she was from the Phillipines? 

Maybe doesn't follow football, so won't be aware of the condolence thread.

When you get back from the tropics Fordy - perhaps a go-fund me page for a week, and chip in for a small gift?

Anyone know if Hav has new kids with the new wife - I don't know who he was close with on here.

He was a decent poster, so seems a nice thing to do.

Fordy?

• Like 3

I miss Havanatopia, farewell fellow Red. 

Boro who are known for the flair of Juninho and Ravinelli but whom I remember as a typical tough, uncompromising team of Northern cloggers, rightly put back in their box by Joe Royle, and now playing at their ‘ natural ‘ level.

They have had an interesting period of success since that day winning their first, and only, piece of silverware, the League cup and playing in Europe. Now if they can do it , so can we.

As for today, a fascinating battle of wits between two wily old managers. Who will win ?

I would think it’s very much in the balance and a draw wouldn’t be unthinkable. 

We need to be patient for two reasons ;

We are a team in the making 

It is way too early in the season for teams to hit the straps, as we all know the league is a marathon and not an egg and spoon race. 

Patience is required. Try to enjoy the little victories just like we did in the old Fourth division before our rise to mediocrity. 

Get behind the club , sing for the Reds and enjoy your day out. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor reckons this will be the line up:

Bentley  

Vyner Baker Atkinson Dasilva

James  King 

Weimann               Wells

Martin  Palmer 

Swap Wells for Palmer and I’d like that.

• Like 1

Very sad news about the loss of Havantopia- seemed to be someone who had a good story to tell. Wasn’t he living somewhere odd for an expat? I can’t remember where but he always apologised for late match day threads because of the time difference.

Anyway onto the game, I can only see a very resounding 2-0 defeat and lots more questions than answers

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Morning all,

I’ve done a little reading of our greatest ever matchday thread author’s posts and I’ve attempted to write this tribute in his unique style. Truth be told his threads take one of two forms; reminiscing about fixtures of years gone by, or Marvelous historical references that appear to Segway out of nowhere. With history not my strong point I shall attempt the former.

Today’s game sees us rekindle our favourite love/hate relationship with Ken Dodd lookalike Neil Warnock and his Middlesbrough team. 

To reminisce about our fixtures with the kings of smog, I’ll take you back to the 06/07 season. Plying our trade in league one, we’d eventually win promotion back to the championship, finishing second only to a A Scunthorpe team spearheaded by 30 goal Billy Sharpe (wonder what happened to him?)

But the 4th round draw of the FA Cup that year would see us draw Gareth Southgate’s Premier League Boro (wonder what happened to him?). 

A pasting was on the cards as we fell 2 behind to two early goals at Ashton Gate - Yakubu and Malcolm Christie - seemingly irrecoverable, until 50 something minute goals for a player made famous for shouldering the blame in a drunken car crash in Derby and another who didn’t enjoy a short holiday in Reading would score to take the replay to The Cold & probably wet Riverside Stadium. 

This time we’d go ahead through David Noble only to be pegged back by Mark Viduka. The game would go to extra time, and a late Boom-Boom goal would cancel out Yakubu’s extra time goal to take the game to penalties, which we lost 5-4, the decisive penalties missed by Craig Woodman and scored by future Paedo in the making Adam Johnson. But plucky Bristol City had done a job in those two ties and given themselves the confidence to have the consistency to climb into the Championship. 

Today’s opponents are a different kettle of fish to that of 06/07. We’re up against our favourite pantomime villain, only this time managed by our own. Not unlike ourselves, Middlesbrough have established themselves as a championship team, only having done so by coming down through the trap door, rather than our upwards trajectory (although this trajectory is somewhat questionable!). 

COYRs. 

What a great idea. Can't think of a better way of having us all remember him. Well done.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor reckons this will be the line up:

Bentley  

Vyner Baker Atkinson Dasilva

James  King 

Weimann               Wells

Martin  Palmer 

It probably won’t be then ???

I don’t see Nige playing Wells left wing.  He’s got plenty of other options, he won’t pi$$ about just to fit Wells in.  Wells either starts as one of two “forwards” or not imho.

CB pairing unlikely to be changed, Kalas has allegedly handed in a transfer request. ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting. I guess if Pearson wants to sell them to raise funds then Nagy and Kalas putting in transfer requests is probably a good thing.

I am a bit worried about losing Kalas. But a decent enough fee should mean we can replace him with someone decent, but maybe not as good, and then hopefully bring in that forward Pearson wants.

Yeah I am not so sure Wells will start. I wouldn't rule it out Pearson playing Wells on the wing though as he played him there a lot last season, and that was without Martin even available for selection.

I'd probably go with the exact same starting 11 that started against Blackpool.

The only question would be who plays left side if O'Dowda is still injured. Probably would be Palmer, but Massengo is another option.

I get the Wells suggestion by Gregor because he will make runs and be a goalscoring threat in behind and coming inside when a ball gets played across from the right. He had some bad games on the wing, but there were some good games too.

I don't see a reason to not play Scott today. Nige seemed happy with him last week.

If O’Dowda is fit then I think 10/11 start….my only question is who plays “just off of Martin”….Scott, Palmer or Wells.  If O’Dowda not fit I see Palmer playing there.

Im happy with any 13/14 permed into 11 though.

I doubt Nige wants to sell Kalas, but it could give him the option to recruit what he needs.  Fans will need to be mindful of what level of CB he can bring in….1) depends how much he wants to spend on a striker and 2) convincing a CB to come if Baker and Atkinson are first choice.  Interesting times.  Of course it could be a load of  tosh.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah could be. Unfortunately there are some sad people out there who completely make things up for some reason!

If we do sell Kalas then someone like Andre Wisdom could be a sensible signing on a free.

We'll end up with Norman Wisdom more like.

I wonder if we should bench Chris Martin today unless we are going to change our style of play to suit him (which I doubt that we will).  We can always bring him on later if we need him and when Boro get tired.

Hope COD is fit as I think he can make a difference.

A shame if we don't see the quality of Kalas & Nagy, but if they are likely to leave, I suppose we need to learn to live without them sooner or later.  Whilst Nagy's commitment to the cause has always been questionable, Tomas Kalas always gives 100%.

RIP Hav, you will always be remembered here, especially for your excellent starts to the matchday threads.

Hoping to perhaps see Semenyo on the bench today to get a few minutes in the legs at the end.

Team today for me:

Bentley

Vyner  Kalas  Baker  Dasilva

King   James

Weimann Palmer O’Dowda

Wells

Subs - O’Leary, Simpson, Atkinson, Bakinson, Scott, Semenyo, Martin

We need a win. It’s going to be a physical game and we have proven physicality in Kalas and Baker. If O’Dowda is still injured then swap out for Scott and play Palmer wider. I do rate Atkinson mind, I just believe this is a game for the other two.

When Semenyo is back, I think we’re still a winger short . Playing this formation or 433 only highlights how short we are in that department. 

Edited by RedEyez
10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Morning all,

This time we’d go ahead through David Noble only to be pegged back by Mark Viduka. The game would go to extra time, and a late Boom-Boom goal would cancel out Yakubu’s extra time goal to take the game to penalties, which we lost 5-4, the decisive penalties missed by Craig Woodman and scored by future Paedo in the making Adam Johnson. But plucky Bristol City had done a job in those two ties and given themselves the confidence to have the consistency to climb into the Championship. 

COYRs. 

Nice job Fordy, a very fitting tribute.

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Morning all,

COYRs. 

Great tribute Fordy :clap:

Shortened version ( always need one of those on a MDT):

It’s not Havanatopia though! :( 

P.S. You’ve passed the interview and have all the attributes to take over the role, so sadly vacated by Havana. However, OTIB now has to undergo it’s rigorous and exhaustive 6 weeks process to identify the best and right person , so we will let you know that you’ve been unsuccessful when we appoint an illiterate, unfunny and obnoxious poster to the role - probably around Christmas time! :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Great tribute Fordy :clap:

Shortened version ( always need one of those on a MDT):

It’s not Havanatopia though! :( 

P.S. You’ve passed the interview and have all the attributes to take over the role, so sadly vacated by Havana. However, OTIB now has to undergo it’s rigorous and exhaustive 6 weeks process to identify the best and right person , so we will let you know that you’ve been unsuccessful when we appoint an illiterate, unfunny and obnoxious poster to the role - probably around Christmas time! :) 

The good human test will also be part of that process.

40 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Hoping to perhaps see Semenyo on the bench today to get a few minutes in the legs at the end.

Team today for me:

Bentley

King   James

Weimann Palmer O’Dowda

Wells

We need a win. It’s going to be a physical game and we have proven physicality in Kalas and Baker. If O’Dowda is still injured then swap out for Scott and play Palmer wider. I do rate Atkinson mind, I just believe this is a game for the other two.

When Semenyo is back, I think we’re still a winger short . Playing this formation or 433 only highlights how short we are in that department. 

He’s the co-commentator on Robins TV today.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Team today for me:

Bentley

King   James

Weimann Palmer O’Dowda

Wells

Nige said not in contention, at least a couple of weeks away, and will be careful about how he managed in his come back.  For me, no point risking him this side of international break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The good human test will also be part of that process.

OK then - we will appoint someone who is illiterate, unfunny and obnoxious but is a good human being.

This is in danger of becoming a bit of a Spanish Inquisition thread, and no one expected that!  :)