IGNORED

Remembering Hav: The Official Middlesbrough Vs City matchday thread

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

I did.

That’s because your main weapon is intuition - intuition and anticipation.

Your two main weapons are intuition, anticipation and foresight..............

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Morning all,

I’ve done a little reading of our greatest ever matchday thread author’s posts and I’ve attempted to write this tribute in his unique style. Truth be told his threads take one of two forms; reminiscing about fixtures of years gone by, or Marvelous historical references that appear to Segway out of nowhere. With history not my strong point I shall attempt the former.

It feels entirely fitting that it’s likely that at a little over 1,600 miles away, I’m probably in with a good shout at being the OTIB member who’s geographically closest to Havana, Cuba.

Today’s game sees us rekindle our favourite love/hate relationship with Ken Dodd lookalike Neil Warnock and his Middlesbrough team. 

To reminisce about our fixtures with the kings of smog, I’ll take you back to the 06/07 season. Plying our trade in league one, we’d eventually win promotion back to the championship, finishing second only to a A Scunthorpe team spearheaded by 30 goal Billy Sharpe (wonder what happened to him?)

But the 4th round draw of the FA Cup that year would see us draw Gareth Southgate’s Premier League Boro (wonder what happened to him?). 

A pasting was on the cards as we fell 2 behind to two early goals at Ashton Gate - Yakubu and Malcolm Christie - seemingly irrecoverable, until 50 something minute goals for a player made famous for shouldering the blame in a drunken car crash in Derby and another who didn’t enjoy a short holiday in Reading would score to take the replay to The Cold & probably wet Riverside Stadium. 

This time we’d go ahead through David Noble only to be pegged back by Mark Viduka. The game would go to extra time, and a late Boom-Boom goal would cancel out Yakubu’s extra time goal to take the game to penalties, which we lost 5-4, the decisive penalties missed by Craig Woodman and scored by future Paedo in the making Adam Johnson. But plucky Bristol City had done a job in those two ties and given themselves the confidence to have the consistency to climb into the Championship. 

Today’s opponents are a different kettle of fish to that of 06/07. We’re up against our favourite pantomime villain, only this time managed by our own. Not unlike ourselves, Middlesbrough have established themselves as a championship team, only having done so by coming down through the trap door, rather than our upwards trajectory (although this trajectory is somewhat questionable!). 

I invite you to raise a toast to Hav and all of our other OTIB friends who are now supporting from way up higher than the upper tier of The Lansdown Stand.

To those who are no longer with us.

COYRs. 

Nice touch mate ? hopefully we can do Havana proud today and get the win!

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone ever noticed that the `What have the Romans ever done for us?` scene is just a remake of the Spanish Inquisition sketch?

It’s almost as if both scenes were written and played out by the same people.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It probably won’t be then ???

I don’t see Nige playing Wells left wing.  He’s got plenty of other options, he won’t pi$$ about just to fit Wells in.  Wells either starts as one of two “forwards” or not imho.

CB pairing unlikely to be changed, Kalas has allegedly handed in a transfer request. ??‍♂️

If we sell Kalas ...I will be more than a little pissed off, and if he is sacrificed, NP had better send the proceeds frigging wisely.  I believe he has been poorly treated, just because Nige somehow seems to begrudge him his salary and reputation, which he has not failed to mention on a few occasions.    If he has handed in a transfer request I don't blame him?                                         .                               

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If we sell Kalas ...I will be more than a little pissed off, and if he is sacrificed, NP had better send the proceeds frigging wisely.  I believe he has been poorly treated, just because Nige somehow seems to begrudge him his salary and reputation, which he has not failed to mention on a few occasions.    If he has handed in a transfer request I don't blame him?                                         .                               

I’m in the opposite camp. I’m coming round to the idea that if we can sell TK to a premier league club for £8m+ it will be good business and accelerate our progress. I’m sure Nige has already identified his targets that he thinks will improve us, and I would back him.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

I’m in the opposite camp. I’m coming round to the idea that if we can sell TK to a premier league club for £8m+ it will be good business and accelerate our progress. I’m sure Nige has already identified his targets that he thinks will improve us, and I would back him.

I guess we will agree to disagree......only time will tell if the decision, if it happens, will be correct                 

• Like 1