IGNORED

Remembering Hav: The Official Middlesbrough Vs City matchday thread

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Pretty resigned to relegation this season on about the 6th best attendances.

Not a lot Pearson can do, I blame the fans for forcing Johnson out and Lansdown for giving the keys to that Tuesday Ashton

The tide starting turning under LJ. We lost 7 games in 9 before he was sacked, and have continued in a similar form since. 

The issue has been a lack of style and poor recruitment. Selling our best players and replacing them with poor to average players with no sell on value. 

We are now stuck with a mix matched squad, with little sell on value to be honest. 

This is a massive job for NP. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

We knew Boro away was likely to be a tough game. Regardless of result, I was really hoping that we'd at least be competitive today. Those who watched the full game, did we compete? Or was it another easy/simple game for our opposition?

It wasn't 'easy' for them but we missed some gilt edged chances in the 2nd half and both their goals were so avoidable.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

IF NP were to be replaced (I'm not saying he should), who on earth is about that can turn this squad around?

If it gets to that stage it means we’re going to be in League 1 next season. It would take someone like Cotts, with a good scouting system, two seasons to build a promotion challenge to get back. 

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Pretty resigned to relegation this season on about the 6th best attendances.

Not a lot Pearson can do, I blame the fans for forcing Johnson out and Lansdown for giving the keys to that Tuesday Ashton

Grounds were empty and most people were preoccupied with the pandemic when LJ was fired. There wasn't even a 'Johnson Out' bedsheet to be seen. What did for Lee was 1. Going backwards (down the table, not improving) 2. The dismal spectacle and dire quality of football, especially at home, and 3. The players were no longer responding to Lee, as close inspection of the drinks breaks brought in last summer when the season restarted revealed (Lee spent them berating the 4th official while his opposite number was amongst his players giving them instruction).

Just heading back to the car not really sure how to feel after that, game was crying out for wells long before he came on, pearson finally came down to the dugout and we seemed to react wether it was his presence or wells introduction but we looked good, then we just get caught out and bang 2-1 and we never recovered thats my small summary of the game but lots of work to do, i felt people saying we would be relegation contenders was a tad harsh but having seen the last 2 league games there are concerning signs. 

• Like 1

We've finally got the most experienced and solid manager we've had in ages. Clearly knows what he's doing, but unfortunately has inherited an awful squad sliding down the league, and has been given a rebuilding job over 3yrs, during COVID so there's little cash available. And yet people seem to want him gone 2 league games into the new season. Some of our fans are a joke. Give him a fair crack of the whip! Honestly!

COYR

• Like 4
  • Flames 2
2 minutes ago, M.D said:

Ashton and Johnson have done us financially, Pearson with money could do something, look at Atkinson. Problem is his hands are tied, he can only work with what he has..

Pearson has one of the most expensive squads in our history.  His hands are only tied in the same way as every other manager, i.e, having to live within their means.  He has a squad worth million pounds, with obvious talent and, in some cases, international experience.  He should be doing better.

• Like 1
Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

Grounds were empty and most people were preoccupied with the pandemic when LJ was fired. There wasn't even a 'Johnson Out' bedsheet to be seen. What did for Lee was 1. Going backwards (down the table, not improving) 2. The dismal spectacle and dire quality of football, especially at home, and 3. The players were no longer responding to Lee, as close inspection of the drinks breaks brought in last summer when the season restarted revealed (Lee spent them berating the 4th official while his opposite number was amongst his players giving them instruction).

Sacked when we were 12th, I'd give anything to be in a position to sack a manager for being 12th right now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So Pearson’s record as statistically the worst manager in Bristol City’s history continues to worsen, as his win percentage drops from 12.5% to 11.76%.  To put that in perspective, that is worse than Roy Hodgson’s 1982 16-year-olds and worse than Benny Lennartsson, and who would have thought that the words ‘worse than Benny Lennartsson’ would ever appear on OTIB?

I acknowledge that the man has had a distinguished career as a manager, but his inability to inspire the most expensive squad in City’s history to more than two wins last season, and his failure to address our most obvious failings in the second half of last season, i.e. our inability to create chances, let alone score them, leads me regrettably to question whether he is the man to keep us in the Championship, let alone lead us to the promised land.

I could have forgiven him the team’s abject performances under him last season if I could see evidence of a turnaround this season, but so far it is more of the same, i.e. the relegation form that he oversaw last season.

At what point can we legitimately start to wonder if whatever magic was once there has gone?

Benny Lennartson truely did have a bag of shite team to inherit, worst still he was not hired as a manager, at the very least he gave lots of youngsters their chance.  IMHO  he should have stayed.  I would never compare him with any manager other than Cooper, who was kept on where as Benny was dumped.

I would now expect to be seeing something that resembled a Pearson team i.e. hard to beat, unfortunately we are not getting that and with nearly 2.5 seasons ability to create absolutely nothing, then being hard to beat is not going to help if you cant score and have a a soft underbelly.  I am, all for giving people time, but Pearson has  had his preseason, and the same mistakes are being made,  and they are basic footballing mistakes, that is what worries me.  It maybe it his players or someone else's his job is to manage and get coaches to deliver messages and coaching from his mantra, if the basics are not getting through what hope does he have.  yes some of them are not his players, but he should be able to get the message and at least a little bit improvement in terms of team organisation by now.

Hey ho!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Pearson has one of the most expensive squads in our history.  His hands are only tied in the same way as every other manager, i.e, having to live within their means.  He has a squad worth million pounds, with obvious talent and, in some cases, international experience.  He should be doing better.

Their not his players though are they. Forget about how much they cost or what international experience they have, you buy players to fit a system a style of playing - you buy players to fit the identity you want the team to be. Pearson clearly has a way he wants to play like most good experienced managers do and it’s obvious the vast majority of this squad aren’t up to it.

Johnson and Ashton have stock piled an expensive bunch of individuals with no forward - thinking. Players weren’t bought to fit a system under those clowns, as I understand some weren’t even physically scouted. Pearson has a huge job on his hands now going forward and with little money it is going to be hugely difficult.

A manager of Pearsons experience and quality should have been brought in after the 17/18 season - it was clear Johnson had taken us as far as he could then but Lansdown and the boards dithering has now cost us hugely down the road. We are in a mess and as I've previously said the blame for me lays squarely at the door or Steve Lansdown and his boy for allowing it to happen..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2
20 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

We've finally got the most experienced and solid manager we've had in ages. Clearly knows what he's doing, but unfortunately has inherited an awful squad sliding down the league, and has been given a rebuilding job over 3yrs, during COVID so there's little cash available. And yet people seem to want him gone 2 league games into the new season. Some of our fans are a joke. Give him a fair crack of the whip! Honestly!

COYR

Just ignore the idiots.

If people on here still can’t see what has been going on at the club for the last 3 years, then they never will. Bristol City have been unstitched financially by Ashton and Johnson. We will do well to stay up unless some “players”  leave and some better players arrive. NP has his hands tied and is stuck with a sack of shite for the time being. One long season. Just glad I didn’t get a season ticket.

• Flames 1
1 minute ago, GasDestroyer said:

Just ignore the idiots.

If people on here still can’t see what has been going on at the club for the last 3 years, then they never will. Bristol City have been unstitched financially by Ashton and Johnson. We will do well to stay up unless some “players”  leave and some better players arrive. NP has his hands tied and is stuck with a sack of shite for the time being. One long season. Just glad I didn’t get a season ticket.

All true, though Nigel claimed he was happy to start the season with what he has.