Jump to content
IGNORED

Vyner


Taunton_BCFC
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Marco the red said:

He should have been sold years ago - for Pearson to buy Simpson as a right back despite knowing we needded quality there is damning.

Pendantry perhaps, but he was a freebie and I suspect on a lowish wage, been there done it and useful to have around the younger players and a general steadying influence. Nothing to lose on a one year deal, if is does not work then he'll be released and we'll move on. We just need a Frankenstein monster of Simpson's footballing brain and Vyner's pace....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He gets a bit of a pass on here as he’s an academy product but I don’t think he’s a natural RB at all. Too cumbersome and not technical enough. 

I think he gets a bit of a pass because he is actually a very good footballer. Which is not to say I think right back is where I would pick him.

His issue at the moment is he is what I would call a 5 a side player. By that I mean that, were I to pick 5 players to represent City in a five a side team, he’d be a definite pick as he can defend a bit, play a bit and cover a lot of roles. But I don’t feel there is a position where I feel he currently excels.

Personally I’d rather see work done developing him as a midfielder as I think that is where, with training, he would ultimately work best.

But, whatever position he ultimately plays, he is going to need time to bed in and adjust and I think he has suffered from being played all over the place.

At the moment, I think he gets a lot of blame for him not being a specialist due to a lot of managers using him different ways. I am not sold on him as a right back but I don’t like a player being written off due to the fact that he has not been given a chance to focus on a position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vyner, decent enough last week.  Poor today.  Weimann in front of him poor today for large parts too.  A weak right side today.  The fact that Isiah Jones looked standout shows how poor our right side was.

But…that’s one game, both were fine last week.

If we want to cast the evaluation after one game, then I don’t think we are being fair.  By all means say they were poor today.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Vyner, decent enough last week.  Poor today.  Weimann in front of him poor today for large parts too.  A weak right side today.  The fact that Isiah Jones looked standout shows how poor our right side was.

But…that’s one game, both were fine last week.

If we want to cast the evaluation after one game, then I don’t think we are being fair.  By all means say they were poor today.

Just let me know when I can cast my evaluation! 😁👍

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the 1st goal Weimann puts in no real effort to chase back. Walked or then gently jogged the whole time they broke away.

Scott got back up and chased all the way back into our box. James chased right back to be in a position to stop the winger had he come inside of Vyner. Of course the winger would have seen that and that's why he chose to go on the outside where the space was.

Vyner really needs to stop him getting to the byline there as at least James was there if he came inside, but as soon as Vyner had transferred all his weight to the left side of his body the Boro player was gone.

Pearson is not happy with the goals being in our 6 yard box. Maybe we could have done better after that too.

I agree with Pearson, we were mainly quite comfortable that first half. Far too easy for them to score that goal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We all have players where our opinion feels more positive/negative vs the average. My two on the more negative side vs this forum (gut feel, not an algorithm) were Hunt and Paterson, thought both awful, consistently. So no problem at all for me that we don’t have Hunt, but agree we’re short at RB and Kalas may well be our best option. Vyner’s order of best positions looks to me to be 1. Right of 3 CBs, 2. defensive mid, 3. RB, 4. Right of 2 CBs. 1 and 2 look like plausible careers at a decent level, not convinced that 3 or 4 will give him that at Championship level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, vyner is not a championship defender. Should be back up at best or moved on when a replacement is brought in. Don’t buy into the emotional connection of being from our academy. He’s not good enough in specific positions but is average as an all rounder. We need far better. More pace, dynamism, athleticism and defensive ability along with the ability to put in accurate and intelligent crosses consistently. 
 

I’d go as far as to say Simpson is far from good enough either but accept his experience may be handy. The right back position, if not addressed before the window closes, will be a big cause for concern and a big reason why we may end up in a relegation scrap.

This of course is just one issue amongst many others that need addressing but from the three games played this far, most of the goals conceded have come from that side I believe.

  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

I’m not sure if my memory is going or not but didn’t a certain Louis Carey get some serious stick especially when he first got into the team at right back. He turned out O.K 🤔

Let not compare the legend that is Louis Carey with Vyner please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, redsocks said:

How many times do I need to say this vyner is not a right back.simpson is usless and we got rid of hunt.pearson wake up or we will be in div 1 next season.

Being weak at RB is an issue….that would not get us relegated in its own right.

there are issues through out the side.  JD is decent, but sadly his lack of height comes an issue, ZV is simply not a RB and Simpson seems such an odd signing.. playing Kalas at RB is desperation stuff and again would be totally counter productive.  We need to wheel and deal. I cannot believe we could not loan a RB youngster from the prem….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tts_city said:

I think Vyner lacks acceleration for a RB, Dasilva can dig himself out of a hole if he makes a mistake, Vyner just seem to lack that burst needed at times.

It's a weird one isn't it. I think he looks quite quick when we see him in other positions, running back to his own goal or needing a burst of speed to win a loose ball or make a tackle etc. In some ways I would actually describe Vyner as quick. 

But when up against a quick tricky winger he can really struggle when he is shifting his movements left and right as he retreats. We have seen it before so its not just because of that goal today. I don't think Hunt was ever particularly good at defending one on one, but I would fancy him to not get done that easily for that goal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Really interested to see if Nige is tempted to play Kalas at RB on Tuesday v Reading (a).

Shoe-horn / square pegs?

or

Needs must, plus play him back into your good books?

 

My hunch is both Vyner & Palmer will drop out.

Whether it is Kalas at RB or Simpson, I’ve absolutely no idea.

Pearson seemed to imply he had given certain players a chance & they hadn’t done well enough to stay in the side, I think these are 2 of them, but there could well be more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It's a weird one isn't it. I think he looks quite quick when we see him in other positions, running back to his own goal or needing a burst of speed to win a loose ball or make a tackle etc. In some ways I would actually describe Vyner as quick. 

But when up against a quick tricky winger he can really struggle when he is shifting his movements left and right as he retreats. We have seen it before so its not just because of that goal today. I don't think Hunt was ever particularly good at defending one on one, but I would fancy him to not get done that easily for that goal.

I agree , his frame doesn't do him any favours over there, maybe Simpson will prove us wrong, im hoping we get someone in, a loan would do. I would hate to see Vyner destroyed week in week out, nice lad, has ability, not a RB for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Vyner, decent enough last week.  Poor today.  Weimann in front of him poor today for large parts too.  A weak right side today.  The fact that Isiah Jones looked standout shows how poor our right side was.

But…that’s one game, both were fine last week.

If we want to cast the evaluation after one game, then I don’t think we are being fair.  By all means say they were poor today.

Watched the Fulham v Boro game last week on TV. Jones when he came on gave the Fulham defence the run around and made an impact on the game. He’s not a bad player. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think he gets a bit of a pass because he is actually a very good footballer. Which is not to say I think right back is where I would pick him.

His issue at the moment is he is what I would call a 5 a side player. By that I mean that, were I to pick 5 players to represent City in a five a side team, he’d be a definite pick as he can defend a bit, play a bit and cover a lot of roles. But I don’t feel there is a position where I feel he currently excels.

Personally I’d rather see work done developing him as a midfielder as I think that is where, with training, he would ultimately work best.

But, whatever position he ultimately plays, he is going to need time to bed in and adjust and I think he has suffered from being played all over the place.

At the moment, I think he gets a lot of blame for him not being a specialist due to a lot of managers using him different ways. I am not sold on him as a right back but I don’t like a player being written off due to the fact that he has not been given a chance to focus on a position. 

Obviously all of them are very good footballers so that’s a given. I think there is always going to be a bit of academy bias and often it'll mean they get either a bit of a pass or overly harsh judgement. 

Interesting idea with the midfield positional change. Personally I don’t think he has the technical skill or agility to pull it off.

I think he’s a reasonably solid defender but unless he rapidly improves I don’t think he’s of the standard to help make us competitive towards the top of the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Marco the red said:

That first goal is embarrassing for vyner. Awful defending.

It was poor postional sense.  Zak was almost square on, should be more in line with our goal and the winger making it more difficult to get past him. That can be put right and he needs to work on his turn of speed big time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Vyner, decent enough last week.  Poor today.  Weimann in front of him poor today for large parts too.  A weak right side today.  The fact that Isiah Jones looked standout shows how poor our right side was.

But…that’s one game, both were fine last week.

If we want to cast the evaluation after one game, then I don’t think we are being fair.  By all means say they were poor today.

They were fine against a poor blackpool but against a better boro side they were left wanting Vyner is at best a league one player and if he stays in the team thats where we may end up

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...