IGNORED

Pearson

Hampshire reds

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

What’s your definition of an open chequebook then?

Can you name anyone in charge of Bristol City who’s had even a quarter of the money LJ did? We’re now paying for those excellent 8th and 12th finishes. 

Not a fair argument is it? In fact it’s ridiculous 

2 hours ago, RivieraRed said:

if your in Hamps go support Southampton or pompey.... you prat...

Why do you have to be so rude to someone who simply has a different view to you yours....he could reply that if you are on the Riviera go support Monaco or Marseille.....you ******** ??

Whilst acknowledging the difficult circumstances I think Nige's impact here has been disappointing, underwhelming even. We have to hope that the "it's early days" point turns out to be sage.

To those referring to finishes of 8th and 12th in previous seasons, Nige's predecessors had quality to work with such as Tammy, Tomlin, Bobby Reid, Brownhill, Webster, Bryan etc. Nige is stuck with 'Patsy' Palmer and co, players his predecessors couldn't get a tune out of either but had the luxury of sending out on loan or not even putting on the bench. 

6 hours ago, jiggers58 said:

Not read the preceding comments but it takes big bollocks to keep an £8m cd on the bench and £5m of CF on the bench in Wells given those that have replaced them haven’t produced……

It does….but if you’re going to make that sort of statement as a manager then you really need to get a result!

I was perhaps one of the few who did not want Mr Pearson - just not sure I like him

I still don't think I like him (possibly unfair but based on stuff I read about him and I don't think I would sit and have a pint with him). Agreed,  I have not seen much by way of improvement however we have to give him longer than this to turn things around. Many on this forum would have a new manager every 3 months and yet must know that will never work.

By Xmas we will know if we are on an upward trend, stagnating or getting worse - it would still be pretty quick but that might be the time to ponder if we are indeed getting worse until then we should all be supporting him and the Team 100% -

City till I die

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

No manager could do better at the moment IMO, we have a squad in transition that doesn't suit any known formation and tactics. 

While we can be critical (and should) the best thing we can do is get behind the lads because they need our support if we're to avoid being involved in a relegation battle. 

Can't agree with the first part, Holden had this group of players (plus the "dead wood") at the top of the league last season before he lost most of his first eleven to injuries.

Very much being used as an exscuse by some who "drank the coolaid" re NP. It does seem there are different rules for disscussing the current managers performance versus the prevoius two - IMO.

Totally agree with the 2nd part.

31 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Can't agree with the first part, Holden had this group of players (plus the "dead wood") at the top of the league last season before he lost most of his first eleven to injuries.

Very much being used as an exscuse by some who "drank the coolaid" re NP. It does seem there are different rules for disscussing the current managers performance versus the prevoius two - IMO.

Totally agree with the 2nd part.

Ok, to try and explain where I'm coming from Holden was playing 532 or 352 (however you see it) at the start of last season. He had a right wing back which we don't currently have (in Hunt and also brought it Sessenyong on loan) we don't currently have a right wing back so can't play that formation. We pretty much have to play a back 4 but this means we can't get that extra player forward meaning we can't overload, dasilva isn't really a left back and is more of a LWB so gets out muscled, because we're not as strong then king and James feel the need to support, Palmer, Scott and Weiman are then picked off when we do get the ball to them and if we go long to Martin he is isolated and doesn't have the strength to hold off a couple defenders that Fam also struggled with last season (new season same problem), so 4 at the back doesn't work with what we have got either. I can't think of any formation that isn't 3, 4 or 5 at the back.

Nige wanted to build from the back but at the moment that's where our problem is and it's causing us issues all over the pitch. 

I am not a fan of being selective with assessments.  Now we know several things. 

1) Mark Ashton was a manual manipulator and appointed Dean Holden and sent the club in the wrong direction.

2) The end of last season was a joke and we were fielding kids and a bunch of broken players. 

3) We were literally rolling over and getting smashed. 

4) We know we have some expensive players who don't want to be here and we would like to move on but can't.  

We know Pearson has tried to address the availability of players, he's also added some solidity and leadership to the team.  

This stuff isn't addressed over night.  And you have to judge over a group of games Johnson Snr was spot on with his groups of games.

I think if we can have a hual of 10+ points from the first 10 that's progress on the next to none we would have had from last season and if we can keep upping that to 12-15 over the following groups we're going to be mid table safe come the end of the season, that should be our aim this season. 

I cant believe there is anybody on here that thought this season was going to be fun

The club and Pearson have made it clear its going to be a long hard road

He has managed to get rid of a lot of dead wood

He has managed to get the players fitter 

What will take time is changing the mentality of the players and the culture of the club

If your not in it for the long run Best walk away now

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Ok, to try and explain where I'm coming from Holden was playing 532 or 352 (however you see it) at the start of last season. He had a right wing back which we don't currently have (in Hunt and also brought it Sessenyong on loan) we don't currently have a right wing back so can't play that formation. We pretty much have to play a back 4 but this means we can't get that extra player forward meaning we can't overload, dasilva isn't really a left back and is more of a LWB so gets out muscled, because we're not as strong then king and James feel the need to support, Palmer, Scott and Weiman are then picked off when we do get the ball to them and if we go long to Martin he is isolated and doesn't have the strength to hold off a couple defenders that Fam also struggled with last season (new season same problem), so 4 at the back doesn't work with what we have got either. I can't think of any formation that isn't 3, 4 or 5 at the back.

Nige wanted to build from the back but at the moment that's where our problem is and it's causing us issues all over the pitch. 

Could have kept Hunt for a start. 

I still think that the constant mantra on here from many of "no manager could" is being used as an excuse for the lack of improvment of results, performance (mostly) and team spirit/cohesion under NP. 

Playing a bit of devil’s advocate:

91B0B4A4-C471-44CE-8F93-B5674BBB796A.thumb.jpeg.638848c50e2f419e4d0e3827dc69adf4.jpeg

Ended 15/16 in 18th position, tough season aided by Tammy got us 17th the season after, but a relegation scrap no less.

Is our starting position more akin to 16/17 than a team with playoff harbouring ambitions.  Easy in hindsight to suggest we don’t have the quality of players of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, etc of 16/17 - 17/18 who went on to better things, not necessarily at that point in Brownhill’s, who emergence was later.

Are Scott, Massengo, Williams, Atkinson plus maybe Conway, Bell, Pearson etc capable of doing the same.

I’m giving NP leeway because I do feel he’s been dealt a shitter hand than LJ was (not a debate about LJ) in terms of starting point.  NIge is hamstring financially which we weren’t in 16/17.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing a bit of devil’s advocate:

91B0B4A4-C471-44CE-8F93-B5674BBB796A.thumb.jpeg.638848c50e2f419e4d0e3827dc69adf4.jpeg

Ended 15/16 in 18th position, tough season aided by Tammy got us 17th the season after, but a relegation scrap no less.

Is our starting position more akin to 16/17 than a team with playoff harbouring ambitions.  Easy in hindsight to suggest we don’t have the quality of players of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, etc of 16/17 - 17/18 who went on to better things, not necessarily at that point in Brownhill’s, who emergence was later.

Are Scott, Massengo, Williams, Atkinson plus maybe Conway, Bell, Pearson etc capable of doing the same.

I’m giving NP leeway because I do feel he’s been dealt a shitter hand than LJ was (not a debate about LJ) in terms of starting point.  NIge is hamstring financially which we weren’t in 16/17.

I’m not asking you to redo your graphs Dave, but what effect does taking out finishing position and replacing with season’s points do? As we all know, 6 places could be determined by 5 points. 

NP should and will be given a proper run at it.  The signing like James & King are his signings, James a particularly decent player. Simpson Is a strange one,  at the moment the little I have seen of him indicates he is never going to be a regular starter…why waste a Wage ? Time might prove me wrong.

you factor in the football community rates NP who has played and managed at top level….let’s get half dozen games and more under the belt, then jump up and done.

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not asking you to redo your graphs Dave, but what effect does taking out finishing position and replacing with season’s points do? As we all know, 6 places could be determined by 5 points. 

image.thumb.png.f099d74a0b94dd3f9a9f15e2b1a9e6fc.png

Luckily they are from Transfermarkt not my own.

So we went 52 in 15/16 vs 51 in 20/21

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

NP should and will be given a proper run at it.  The signing like James & King are his signings, James a particularly decent player. Simpson Is a strange one,  at the moment the little I have seen of him indicates he is never going to be a regular starter…why waste a Wage ? Time might prove me wrong.

you factor in the football community rates NP who has played and managed at top level….let’s get half dozen games and more under the belt, then jump up and done.

My guess is that he was cheap and we needed two RBs, one of which is Vyner. He’s a one-year stop-gap whilst NP evaluates what is needed.

3 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Could have kept Hunt for a start. 

I still think that the constant mantra on here from many of "no manager could" is being used as an excuse for the lack of improvment of results, performance (mostly) and team spirit/cohesion under NP. 

I think that's the crux of it, NP is quite bloody minded and wants to play 4231 so took the first opportunity of getting rid of Hunt thus limiting our ability to play 5 or 3 at the back.

So yeah "no manager could" as an excuse is possible right now but also poor because he is the one that's got us to the point of "no manager could". Because of previous overspending, COVID and Pearson our transformation is being done with a blunt instrument though so I have some sympathy. 

If we get through this season without relegation we will likely be in a better space than most of our competitors, hopefully this is a low point before we build ourselves back up like we did with Cotts. If that low point becomes relegation then we might as well forget everything that's happened since SOD left though because it will be a long way back up from there. 

18 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think that's the crux of it, NP is quite bloody minded and wants to play 4231 so took the first opportunity of getting rid of Hunt thus limiting our ability to play 5 or 3 at the back.

So yeah "no manager could" as an excuse is possible right now but also poor because he is the one that's got us to the point of "no manager could". Because of previous overspending, COVID and Pearson our transformation is being done with a blunt instrument though so I have some sympathy. 

If we get through this season without relegation we will likely be in a better space than most of our competitors, hopefully this is a low point before we build ourselves back up like we did with Cotts. If that low point becomes relegation then we might as well forget everything that's happened since SOD left though because it will be a long way back up from there. 

Yep.

6 hours ago, Markman said:

Many on this forum would have a new manager every 3 months and yet must know that will never work.

That is actually the truth and these people just expect Steve to pay for that. I am a firm believer that SL is the main issue in terms of he has taken his foot off the gas, allowed Teflon to basically ruin us, and now we are paying for it big time. However, I'm certainly not expecting the guy to recruit, sack, pay another set of gardening leave wages for almost three years every few months. We are in the shit and, as fans, we have to suck it up and deal with it. We have a long road to recovery to go through and there will be plenty of Saturdays when we are disappointed. Staying up is the aim this season, nothing more and nothing less. As fans we pretty much ALL knew that. It seems that some people, despite KNOWING this, have either thrown in the towel already or are showing strong signs that they will not be able to deal with much more disappointment very well at all.

On a serious note we as fans really need to show a pair of bollocks and that we have the stomach for the scrap and the minerals to put opinions on how the hell we got here to one side for one season and get behind the lads under those circumstances. If you don't have that capability or worse if the struggles at the club are negatively affecting your mental health (which simply has to be far more important for anyone and their family than following a struggling football team that causes them no end of stress and anger on a daily basis) then take a break from it. It's not a flippant comment, looking at this board there are a sizeable minority of you that might benefit. This club, the management and players, more than ever, need the backing of "supporters" this season not thousands of "paying critics" who will be no more than passengers and self inflicted obstacles in the battle we find ourselves in.

Back on topic, the people that think you can carry on sacking Managers every time you have had enough of one simply haven't thought it through and anyone of otherwise sound mind who thinks with any degree of seriousness whatsoever that we can get Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder in under our financial constraints is barking up the wrong tree, pure and simple..........nothing to do with having a different opinion, you are just on a different planet.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That is actually the truth and these people just expect Steve to pay for that. I am a firm believer that SL is the main issue in terms of he has taken his foot off the gas, allowed Teflon to basically ruin us, and now we are paying for it big time. However, I'm certainly not expecting the guy to recruit, sack, pay another set of gardening leave wages for almost three years every few months. We are in the shit and, as fans, we have to suck it up and deal with it. We have a long road to recovery to go through and there will be plenty of Saturdays when we are disappointed. Staying up is the aim this season, nothing more and nothing less. As fans we pretty much ALL knew that. It seems that some people, despite KNOWING this, have either thrown in the towel already or are showing strong signs that they will not be able to deal with much more disappointment very well at all.

On a serious note we as fans really need to show a pair of bollocks and that we have the stomach for the scrap and the minerals to put opinions on how the hell we got here to one side for one season and get behind the lads under those circumstances. If you don't have that capability or worse if the struggles at the club are negatively affecting your mental health (which simply has to be far more important for anyone and their family than following a struggling football team that causes them no end of stress and anger on a daily basis) then take a break from it. It's not a flippant comment, looking at this board there are a sizeable minority of you that might benefit. This club, the management and players, more than ever, need the backing of "supporters" this season not thousands of "paying critics" who will be no more than passengers and self inflicted obstacles in the battle we find ourselves in.

Back on topic, the people that think you can carry on sacking Managers every time you have had enough of one simply haven't thought it through and anyone of otherwise sound mind who thinks with any degree of seriousness whatsoever that we can get Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder in under our financial constraints is barking up the wrong tree, pure and simple..........nothing to do with having a different opinion, you are just on a different planet.

Much more disappointment? you are joking or at least I hope you are, nobody and I mean nobody could be excused for being anything but p off and sick to the back teeth of endless slaps in the face and being fed a diet of promises that seem to be never fulfilled. I'm sorry if that puts me down as one of the moaners but at my age and having heard it on countless occasions my patience and time have almost run out your optimism is commendable but some of us have frankly had enough of it.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Much more disappointment? you are joking or at least I hope you are, nobody and I mean nobody could be excused for being anything but p off and sick to the back teeth of endless slaps in the face and being fed a diet of promises that seem to be never fulfilled. I'm sorry if that puts me down as one of the moaners but at my age and having heard it on countless occasions my patience and time have almost run out your optimism is commendable but some of us have frankly had enough of it.

You can’t control it so what are you going to do about it? Just moan incessantly?

I just don't think SL can successfully run 2 major sports clubs.

If there were no Bears then we'd be looking forward to the football season a he'll of a lot more.

As the situation stands we will always struggle with them as his numero uno focus, I know that it's all been said before but I can't look past the Bears, they are the easiest way to the fame I believe SL seems to crave.

25 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I just don't think SL can successfully run 2 major sports clubs.

If there were no Bears then we'd be looking forward to the football season a he'll of a lot more.

As the situation stands we will always struggle with them as his numero uno focus, I know that it's all been said before but I can't look past the Bears, they are the easiest way to the fame I believe SL seems to crave.

SL seems to crave fame? WTF 

He wants success not fame, and he may well not be going about it some of the short sighted ones in here want him to but he’s put the infrastructure in place (ground and HPC..), now this season he’s got the most professional team in he’s ever had to run the football side of things. 
It may take yet another season or two to achieve what we all want but just try to be positive (happy clapper style) and give the lads encouragement - not criticise every bad pass at every opportunity. 

Some of us have watched City since the 1960’s - consider yourself lucky if you haven’t had to wait for ‘fame’ as long as us   

Archived