IGNORED

Pearson

Hampshire reds

Just got to give NP time. He has inherited a shite squad of players. He would probably sell you at least 6 of that starting lineup yesterday if you put in an offer. They are just not Championship level standards. Survival and avoid relegation will be a great result.

On the SL debate, who took his eye of the ball last two seasons -

1. Bristol Sport has diluted the focus on the football club.

2. Ashton sold all the family silver and bought a load of shite

3. We have a Chairman (or whatever his title is) who is SLs son who lives in Bermuda most of the year

Shambles. Complete shitshow IMO. NP is picking up the pieces. He will sort it but as far as the doubters go, FFS give him a season. We have only played two games.

22 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Yea I mean how dare he invest over 100 million in to the club 

I was ashton gate was still the terracing we had in the 80s and the training facilities were still a school field

It is not the scale of the investment folk are concerned about but the lack of football acumen in the way it was spent.  Looks on present evidence that we will be back where we started two decades ago when SL first got involved.  He has taken poor advice or ignored good advice - either way he is to my mind culpable.   OK he owns the club, but remember we have had many owners before him, and will have many owners after him.  He is merely a custodian for a limited time. We as fans owe him nothing. another owner will always come along, that is football in this country.  He has consistently over promised and underperformed.  Sorry but that is the brutal truth.

As for ground improvements they would have come along anyway.  Just think of the money wasted on trying to build a new ground in Somerset.  That worked well.

Now we have a High Performance Centre.  The very name is an embarrassment.

I still believe that if we are to avoid a decade or so at the third level we fans need to give our support to NP, even were we to be relegated.  The Augean stables must be cleared out and IMO Nige is our very best shot at that.

23 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Yea I mean how dare he invest over 100 million in to the club 

I was ashton gate was still the terracing we had in the 80s and the training facilities were still a school field

There’s the rub. Whatever your views on Lansdown’s ownership he’s the guy who has put his money forward. The people in here demanding we sack off a Manager that STEVE put in charge despite the results last season and replace with pie in the sky options such as Wilder and Howe are missing the point in that it’s STEVE who has to pay for the next Manager and Nige’s gardening leave and it all impacts on FFP too. If Wilder came in under our restrictions and failed for 6 months what then? Yes Steve, you ****** up yet again and we demand that you get your wallet out again.

Not the best worded phrase he ever came out with but you can see where he’s coming from when he says “I’m not paying for people’s football”. If the owner feels that whatever decisions he makes the fans want it ripped up within 6 months anyway he might just wonder whether he could spend his cash better elsewhere.

The current Manager has agreed to work within the restrictions and anyone who thinks that those will be relaxed is deluded. Probably a major reason for his appointment tbh. Time to make the best of a bad job that we could discuss the reasons for all day, put those reasons to the side and SUPPORT. If the worst happens at the end of the season then decide what you’re going to do (or not going to do) then.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That is actually the truth and these people just expect Steve to pay for that. I am a firm believer that SL is the main issue in terms of he has taken his foot off the gas, allowed Teflon to basically ruin us, and now we are paying for it big time. However, I'm certainly not expecting the guy to recruit, sack, pay another set of gardening leave wages for almost three years every few months. We are in the shit and, as fans, we have to suck it up and deal with it. We have a long road to recovery to go through and there will be plenty of Saturdays when we are disappointed. Staying up is the aim this season, nothing more and nothing less. As fans we pretty much ALL knew that. It seems that some people, despite KNOWING this, have either thrown in the towel already or are showing strong signs that they will not be able to deal with much more disappointment very well at all.

On a serious note we as fans really need to show a pair of bollocks and that we have the stomach for the scrap and the minerals to put opinions on how the hell we got here to one side for one season and get behind the lads under those circumstances. If you don't have that capability or worse if the struggles at the club are negatively affecting your mental health (which simply has to be far more important for anyone and their family than following a struggling football team that causes them no end of stress and anger on a daily basis) then take a break from it. It's not a flippant comment, looking at this board there are a sizeable minority of you that might benefit. This club, the management and players, more than ever, need the backing of "supporters" this season not thousands of "paying critics" who will be no more than passengers and self inflicted obstacles in the battle we find ourselves in.

Back on topic, the people that think you can carry on sacking Managers every time you have had enough of one simply haven't thought it through and anyone of otherwise sound mind who thinks with any degree of seriousness whatsoever that we can get Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder in under our financial constraints is barking up the wrong tree, pure and simple..........nothing to do with having a different opinion, you are just on a different planet.

It's the people getting paid £10-20k a week who need to show they have the stomach for the scrap

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

It's the people getting paid £10-20k a week who need to show they have the stomach for the scrap

True AND the fans. Get behind them, don’t give anyone an excuse. Or do you think we should get down the Gate and abuse them every week, make the atmosphere and absolute cesspit to play in? That should do the trick eh?

2 hours ago, Red DNA said:

SL seems to crave fame? WTF 

He wants success not fame, and he may well not be going about it some of the short sighted ones in here want him to but he’s put the infrastructure in place (ground and HPC..), now this season he’s got the most professional team in he’s ever had to run the football side of things. 
It may take yet another season or two to achieve what we all want but just try to be positive (happy clapper style) and give the lads encouragement - not criticise every bad pass at every opportunity. 

Some of us have watched City since the 1960’s - consider yourself lucky if you haven’t had to wait for ‘fame’ as long as us   

I've also watched City since the 60s. I watched us walk off the pitch at the end of the 1979-80 season little thinking that 40 years later we'd be miles away from a return to the top flight and barely ever threatened. Personally I applaud the appointment of Nigel Pearson. I agree that we should be positive. Pearson is the sort of appointment that should have been made when GJ left...or Coppell walked out..or when SL lost it with Cotterill. A man of experience, who knows what is needed.

But in all honesty with regard to our all powerful owner, how long constitutes 'short sighted'? Steve Lansdown has been running the show for what...the best part of 20 years? Great at the infrastructure, but when to comes to the football all he's not proved very good at it has he?

53 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

It is not the scale of the investment folk are concerned about but the lack of football acumen in the way it was spent.  Looks on present evidence that we will be back where we started two decades ago when SL first got involved.  He has taken poor advice or ignored good advice - either way he is to my mind culpable.   OK he owns the club, but remember we have had many owners before him, and will have many owners after him.  He is merely a custodian for a limited time. We as fans owe him nothing. another owner will always come along, that is football in this country.  He has consistently over promised and underperformed.  Sorry but that is the brutal truth.

As for ground improvements they would have come along anyway.  Just think of the money wasted on trying to build a new ground in Somerset.  That worked well.

I still believe that if we are to avoid a decade or so at the third level we fans need to give our support to NP, even were we to be relegated.  The Augean stables must be cleared out and IMO Nige is our very best shot at that.

You have always been very forthright in your dislike SL and never miss an opportunity to try and drum up support for your very minority view.

Its flippant nonsense to just say the ground would have improved anyway and another owner comes along as he is only a custodian, one that has put in a considerable funds to do so and funded the transformation of the infrastructure.

But of course we could have a different owner, no doubt you look jealously across the city at the Gases fake sheik and all he has done for the club

Not silly enough to see SL has made errors, but that's always easy with hindsight, in fact with hindsight I can win the lottery every week.

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You have always been very forthright in your dislike SL and never miss an opportunity to try and drum up support for your very minority view.

Its flippant nonsense to just say the ground would have improved anyway and another owner comes along as he is only a custodian, one that has put in a considerable funds to do so and funded the transformation of the infrastructure.

But of course we could have a different owner, no doubt you look jealously across the city at the Gases fake sheik and all he has done for the club

Not silly enough to see SL has made errors, but that's always easy with hindsight, in fact with hindsight I can win the lottery every week.

Steve Lansdown's errors have been called at the time of their making - not with hindsight. Dean Holden? Keith Millen? Brian Tinnion? (Personally I'd add Lee Johnson).

Steve would have no difficulty selling the club. An English Championship football club, on the fringes of the Premiership with the right leadership...he's invested well in a globally attractive product. 

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Steve Lansdown's errors have been called at the time of their making - not with hindsight. Dean Holden? Keith Millen? Brian Tinnion? (Personally I'd add Lee Johnson).

Steve would have no difficulty selling the club. An English Championship football club, on the fringes of the Premiership with the right leadership...he's invested well in a globally attractive product. 

I think you mean the fringes of League 1 TBH.

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

I think that's the crux of it, NP is quite bloody minded and wants to play 4231 so took the first opportunity of getting rid of Hunt thus limiting our ability to play 5 or 3 at the back.

So yeah "no manager could" as an excuse is possible right now but also poor because he is the one that's got us to the point of "no manager could". Because of previous overspending, COVID and Pearson our transformation is being done with a blunt instrument though so I have some sympathy. 

If we get through this season without relegation we will likely be in a better space than most of our competitors, hopefully this is a low point before we build ourselves back up like we did with Cotts. If that low point becomes relegation then we might as well forget everything that's happened since SOD left though because it will be a long way back up from there. 

All about opinions but I think that is crap.  If he felt it was the right way to play he’d do it….he commented in the week that he tried it last season and it didn’t work….but he’s not adverse to using it with flexible players.  Hunt is an attacking RB, he might be suited to a RWB in a 3/5, but he’s played 85-90% of his career as a RB in a 4.  Hunt quite happy to move back “home” with his youngish family.

To think he would purposely choose to get rid of a player to not play a system that might win games is crazy.

Its a difficult system to recruit to because as I’ve said before, because once you decide to go that way you are constraining yourself to moving back to anything else.  Look how it cost Holden keeping Nic Eliasson.

Plus our 3 senior CBs are more used to playing in a 4, as I think Dasilva is too….he prefers coming onto attacks not being ahead of the ball.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

That is actually the truth and these people just expect Steve to pay for that. I am a firm believer that SL is the main issue in terms of he has taken his foot off the gas, allowed Teflon to basically ruin us, and now we are paying for it big time. However, I'm certainly not expecting the guy to recruit, sack, pay another set of gardening leave wages for almost three years every few months. We are in the shit and, as fans, we have to suck it up and deal with it. We have a long road to recovery to go through and there will be plenty of Saturdays when we are disappointed. Staying up is the aim this season, nothing more and nothing less. As fans we pretty much ALL knew that. It seems that some people, despite KNOWING this, have either thrown in the towel already or are showing strong signs that they will not be able to deal with much more disappointment very well at all.

On a serious note we as fans really need to show a pair of bollocks and that we have the stomach for the scrap and the minerals to put opinions on how the hell we got here to one side for one season and get behind the lads under those circumstances. If you don't have that capability or worse if the struggles at the club are negatively affecting your mental health (which simply has to be far more important for anyone and their family than following a struggling football team that causes them no end of stress and anger on a daily basis) then take a break from it. It's not a flippant comment, looking at this board there are a sizeable minority of you that might benefit. This club, the management and players, more than ever, need the backing of "supporters" this season not thousands of "paying critics" who will be no more than passengers and self inflicted obstacles in the battle we find ourselves in.

Back on topic, the people that think you can carry on sacking Managers every time you have had enough of one simply haven't thought it through and anyone of otherwise sound mind who thinks with any degree of seriousness whatsoever that we can get Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder in under our financial constraints is barking up the wrong tree, pure and simple..........nothing to do with having a different opinion, you are just on a different planet.

I wish SL would come out and say he’s taken his eye of the ball and allowed the “club” to spend considerably more than the value we got for that spend.  He skirts around, which is his prerogative.  I think he could be open with the financial constraints Nige is working under.  Only Nige is saying sell to buy, woukd be good to hear SL say it too.

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There’s the rub. Whatever your views on Lansdown’s ownership he’s the guy who has put his money forward. The people in here demanding we sack off a Manager that STEVE put in charge despite the results last season and replace with pie in the sky options such as Wilder and Howe are missing the point in that it’s STEVE who has to pay for the next Manager and Nige’s gardening leave and it all impacts on FFP too. If Wilder came in under our restrictions and failed for 6 months what then? Yes Steve, you ****** up yet again and we demand that you get your wallet out again.

Not the best worded phrase he ever came out with but you can see where he’s coming from when he says “I’m not paying for people’s football”. If the owner feels that whatever decisions he makes the fans want it ripped up within 6 months anyway he might just wonder whether he could spend his cash better elsewhere.

The current Manager has agreed to work within the restrictions and anyone who thinks that those will be relaxed is deluded. Probably a major reason for his appointment tbh. Time to make the best of a bad job that we could discuss the reasons for all day, put those reasons to the side and SUPPORT. If the worst happens at the end of the season then decide what you’re going to do (or not going to do) then.

So true.

Why not back the bloke who’s plan SL has bought into?

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Playing a bit of devil’s advocate:

91B0B4A4-C471-44CE-8F93-B5674BBB796A.thumb.jpeg.638848c50e2f419e4d0e3827dc69adf4.jpeg

Ended 15/16 in 18th position, tough season aided by Tammy got us 17th the season after, but a relegation scrap no less.

Is our starting position more akin to 16/17 than a team with playoff harbouring ambitions.  Easy in hindsight to suggest we don’t have the quality of players of Flint, Reid, Bryan, Brownhill, etc of 16/17 - 17/18 who went on to better things, not necessarily at that point in Brownhill’s, who emergence was later.

Are Scott, Massengo, Williams, Atkinson plus maybe Conway, Bell, Pearson etc capable of doing the same.

I’m giving NP leeway because I do feel he’s been dealt a shitter hand than LJ was (not a debate about LJ) in terms of starting point.  NIge is hamstring financially which we weren’t in 16/17.

I love pragmatic posts like this one! 

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think you mean the fringes of League 1 TBH.

At this precise moment yes!

But hey, football is only going to grow in its attraction to global investors. SL isn't daft. 

For anyone interested I recommend David Goldblatt's 'The Age of Football'

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Absolutely we've a new era now it's time to stop being negative I've seen positives so far this pre season and the first two games. I'm happy we've a quality manager in place that has so far brought in quality ie Rennie and I think there will be more to come in time... If no fan can bring positivity to Ashton gate or away then stay at home, I'm fed up of boring football and false interviews over the last 5 years it's time now to help our club through this and I'm more than 100% confident that Pearson will bring success,But we need to take the knocks first if you don't get the knocks you get the success!! Come on let's get Ashton gate back(Atmosphere)Home is where the heart is and Home will only keep us up!! COYRs!!!! 

31 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Selling the club no sorry he would have to sell his dream Bristol Sport Rugby,Basketball,Shared ground and no doubt the future proposals hotels etc. I think it would be difficult now to buy the club as its different from when we first joined it. We are now part of something else, someones dream.

I’m still happy that we got NP and I remain optimistic that he will come good, but by the same token the lack of progress since February is deeply, deeply concerning.

Any calls for him to go at this stage though are wide of the mark. Burning through managers tends to make a perilous situation even worse - just look at that lot up the road.

I really don’t know who could get decent performances out of this group  of players to be honest. :(

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Agreed. If we're dealing in brutal truths, the fact is a halfwit in possession of Lansdown's fortune could have worked out our bricks and mortar needed upgrading and done something about it. On the other hand the difficult decisions, the footballing ones, have been hit and miss to put it mildly.

That's not to be ungrateful, it's just stating some home truths, brutal or otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To think he would purposely choose to get rid of a player to not play a system that might win games is crazy.

I didn't quite mean it like that although I can see how it reads like that but he did chose to get rid of the only player on the right that could play in a 3/5 because he doesn't want to play a 3/5 IMO, I stick by my comment that he is bloody minded but I would caveat that with I think that's what we need. He appears to work to a framework and part of that is a 4231 formation - if players don't fit the framework or aren't going to cut it he won't give them a contract just in case or as "clubs in the bag" although that might be more to do with current financial constraints. 

He obviously could have kept him as a RB but thought he could cover with Simpson and Vyner to free up funds elsewhere. I'm sure he will look to recruit there when he can and once the expectation is embedded into the squad he won't need Simpson.

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

We've known each other a long time but here you're wrong. City aren't an attractive product, never were, never will be. I think there are few buyers who'd be interested in relieving Lansdown of his liabilities and for those that might be, for sure they would not be in fan's best interests.

6 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I just don't think SL can successfully run 2 major sports clubs.

If there were no Bears then we'd be looking forward to the football season a he'll of a lot more.

As the situation stands we will always struggle with them as his numero uno focus, I know that it's all been said before but I can't look past the Bears, they are the easiest way to the fame I believe SL seems to crave.

Of course he can - he’s a multi billionaire - he can employ people to run his sports clubs ...

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I didn't quite mean it like that although I can see how it reads like that but he did chose to get rid of the only player on the right that could play in a 3/5 because he doesn't want to play a 3/5 IMO, I stick by my comment that he is bloody minded but I would caveat that with I think that's what we need. He appears to work to a framework and part of that is a 4231 formation - if players don't fit the framework or aren't going to cut it he won't give them a contract just in case or as "clubs in the bag" although that might be more to do with current financial constraints. 

He obviously could have kept him as a RB but thought he could cover with Simpson and Vyner to free up funds elsewhere. I'm sure he will look to recruit there when he can and once the expectation is embedded into the squad he won't need Simpson.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit OTT!

My gut feel is that Simpson is on a fair bit less money than Hunt would’ve wanted, and we’ve got a long wait til we see the 20/21 accounts, but every £100k counts. FWIW I would’ve been happy to see Hunt over Simpson if wages were on a par(ish).   

33 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Hunt was not the greatest at squad harmony. 

Is that right?

I do remember him at AG on Robinstv doing co-comms and chatting to him at h-t.  He said he wasn’t enjoying it having to say nice things about Pedro Pereira who was playing in his place. ?

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I know a few people/groups (small number)interested in buying an English team. Prem or Championship . But they want outright ownership, I do not believe that is on the table at BCFC right now. Maybe that has changed . We will see. Though one group did ask, why, if BCFC own all the land around AG , why they did not move the stadium footprint so that it could be rebuilt as a 40 k stadium. ( rebuild Dolman as 2 tier and Atyeo I guess) . They were looking for clubs with a 40 k stadium plus potential. Just one instance, but people do look to English football for investment. These are not UK investors. 

So there are people out there looking to buy clubs, but as seen with Newcastle , it is not always straight forward. Though I do believe if BCFC ever was for sale outright, there are buyers. All comes down to price and potential. 

Just to say, in other words, a club like BCFC would attract a buyer if it were ever put up for sale. 

What on our present balance sheet makes it looks like a worthwhile investment? Seriously, what?

8 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

You can’t control it so what are you going to do about it? Just moan incessantly?

I don't moan incessantly but now and again I feel inclined to vent my frustration at yet another season that looks like it might end in another failure, if you want to ignore that that's your right but I do wonder just how bad we would have to be for you to admit things were not going well and 13 games and counting for me that's been reached and is it only alright to say nice things? 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

What on our present balance sheet makes it looks like a worthwhile investment? Seriously, what?

The infrastructure alone makes it a massively attractive investment. SL is not simply giving the football club money for which we need to be grateful.  He’s investing to build an empire. The stadium itself is already a huge asset and the managing company is just about to develop the area around the ground with hotel, arena, housing, retail units. It will be worth many hundreds of millions and generate a huge amount of income on an ongoing basis, and that isn’t even mentioning the high performance centre. None of this would be possible without investment in the football club.

Given the poor start (results) & the very real possibility of relegation this season. I believe we’ll see some signings before window closes as SL realises he has to pay the price of letting MA loose with the club.

Going into the season without a good quality RB to me is just the same as last season when they wouldn’t bring in a LB after JD ruled out for the season. Was the beginning of the end for project Holden.

I don’t believe we need to change NP but he should be given the resources required to compete at this level as the EFL Championship is a highly competitive league & it naive to think we can limp through it with what we have.

19 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Given the poor start (results) & the very real possibility of relegation this season. I believe we’ll see some signings before window closes as SL realises he has to pay the price of letting MA loose with the club.

Going into the season without a good quality RB to me is just the same as last season when they wouldn’t bring in a LB after JD ruled out for the season. Was the beginning of the end for project Holden.

I don’t believe we need to change NP but he should be given the resources required to compete at this level as the EFL Championship is a highly competitive league & it naive to think we can limp through it with what we have.

@Red Alert

Please advise us how we will be able to buy more players in this transfer window.

The problem is not Lansdown being unable or unwilling to provide the cash.

It is because of FFP in that we are probably either already over or very near the loss limit for the current period of three years or whatever the period is due to Covid.

54 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Red Alert

Please advise us how we will be able to buy more players in this transfer window.

The problem is not Lansdown being unable or unwilling to provide the cash.

It is because of FFP in that we are probably either already over or very near the loss limit for the current period of three years or whatever the period is due to Covid.

Without visibility of the current accounts & FFP situation I can’t answer that.

We’re not being told we can’t because of FFP we’re simply being told we have sell to buy which sounds more like a cash flow.

6 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

The infrastructure alone makes it a massively attractive investment. SL is not simply giving the football club money for which we need to be grateful.  He’s investing to build an empire. The stadium itself is already a huge asset and the managing company is just about to develop the area around the ground with hotel, arena, housing, retail units. It will be worth many hundreds of millions and generate a huge amount of income on an ongoing basis, and that isn’t even mentioning the high performance centre. None of this would be possible without investment in the football club.

Been done to death. The 'infrastructure' (not owned by the football club you'll recall,) is worth far less than people imagine, as are any bespoke assets. Value predominantly lies in the freehold land on which the infrastructure sits, but with CIL, Section 106 and overheads any residual land value is greatly reduced from that headlined.

Income from the activities you mention doesn't go to the football club.

The football club's a financial basketcase and I struggle to see who'd buy it from SL.

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I know a few people/groups (small number)interested in buying an English team. Prem or Championship . But they want outright ownership, I do not believe that is on the table at BCFC right now. Maybe that has changed . We will see. Though one group did ask, why, if BCFC own all the land around AG , why they did not move the stadium footprint so that it could be rebuilt as a 40 k stadium. ( rebuild Dolman as 2 tier and Atyeo I guess) . They were looking for clubs with a 40 k stadium plus potential. Just one instance, but people do look to English football for investment. These are not UK investors. 

So there are people out there looking to buy clubs, but as seen with Newcastle , it is not always straight forward. Though I do believe if BCFC ever was for sale outright, there are buyers. All comes down to price and potential. 

Just to say, in other words, a club like BCFC would attract a buyer if it were ever put up for sale. 

SL didn’t move the footprint of the ground during the rebuild because, at the time, he didn’t own all the land around Ashton Gate. This was only purchased a couple of years ago. Could he have bought the land before the rebuild? I don’t know, perhaps not. What he has said is a larger ground isn’t really a necessity as, in the Premier League, the big money comes from TV. Although the ground is only 27k capacity it can still earn a lot from non match day activities. This will be more attractive with the new car park and hotel. What makes it complicated is Bristol Sport as it doesn’t make sense to just buy Bristol City. You’ve got to buy the lot 

Archived