IGNORED

Pearson

Hampshire reds

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

By gaining trust, by getting players to buy into bigger pictures, by working with players on internalising the values and principles of the teams approach.

Yeah fair points - however when i see people using the word ‘passionate’ in terms of footballers they don’t generally mean any of that!! 

I dont know anybody online, and in person that wants Pearson out. Not one. In fact its the other way - its recognised we are struggling but the overwhelming feeling is wanting him to succeed. 

@RalphMilnesLeftFoot has been pushing negative NP stuff for ages. Seemingly making stuff up now as well is not a good look

40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s partly what management is all about, then creating a whole out of disparate parts and making it work.  Any manager who can’t get the players to adopt their methods, qualities and ethics may as well give up.

I actually agree here, it’s why he’s also brought in his own “Aaron Wilbraham” types, to set the standards, maintain the standards, etc.  Alby was in effect Cotts eyes and ears in the dressing room (without being a snitch) and made sure they did what the manager wanted.  We saw what happened when the likes of Tomlin was allowed by the manager to not fall in line.  Pearson has brought James and King (and Simpson) to do similar.

In the past we’ve usually seen the good cop assistant / bad cop manager dynamic.  If feels like some managers might use players to do that too.

But we must also remember there are possibly 1 or 2 players under contract that don’t fit what Nige wants, but unless you can find a buyer are stuck here and won’t change.

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I want Pearson to succeed and certainly think it's way too early to judge definitively on this season but a positive performance and result would give a massive boost.

One thing that I just don't have clear in my mind is how players that did pretty decently up until January 2020 under Lee Johnson suddenly look so shambolic 18 months later.

Was LJ actually way more of a miracle maker than we think, getting mediocre players to play beyond their abilities? Was Holden such a terrible man manager that he completely destroyed the morale of the squad in eight months? Have we made signings that have completely poisoned the atmosphere amongst the squad? Have players grown bored and complacent and lost interest? Clearly the problems were there before Pearson arrived and I think we do need to be patient and give him time but, even as a type that, I know it is the opposite of what I'd say if we'd appointed a manager without Pearson's experience who'd got the same results.

I really want Pearson to succeed and I really hope he is the person to rebuild the culture of the club but I'm very aware I'm going off faith over evidence at the moment and I'd love to see something in the next game or two that makes me really see what Pearson is trying to do and how it might pay off. 

Think this is where I usually provide a link of Rasmus Ankersen’s TED talk re Newcastle!!

I think this was a classic results > performance and eventually results caught up.  Don’t get me wrong I didn’t see as many bad performances in LJ’s time as I did in the DH / NP period….but then again I only saw home games, prior to going VPN airlines, so I got to every game from Covid onwards.  So it might’ve felt less because I saw less games.

But at least I am seeing improvement now we are getting a stronger team on the pitch.  Others may disagree, that’s fine.  Off the pitch we have a plan, a plan hugely constrained by finances.  Without going over old ground, Holden felt the first pinch of LJ / MA spend-fest with lack of money for signings, but he still had a big squad, was able to bring in Mawson on loan, sign Lansbury, etc.  Pearson has had to handle a constrained budget, reduce squad size as well as wages too.

We need some patience, we need to observe and analyse.  We need to stop knee-jerking two games into the season…..some did it after one.  If people want to drag up last season, that is fine too, but to stick their hands over their ears and go la-la-la-la when people counter their view shows their agenda (vendetta someone suggested), or their inability to process info.

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

How can a manager install certain traits or  qualities in to another person? It’s impossible 

It’s not impossible! 

It’s what armies do when they train and develop soldiers to work in a certain way to understand why the tactics they’re taught work (hopefully!). 

Man management is not just hiring, firing and advising on what’s required to make the business successful - to be successful yourself you need to be armed with skills taught to you by others who have those skills. 

It’s what the Academy is in place for!

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

How can a manager install certain traits or  qualities in to another person? It’s impossible 

What is the point in having a manager then? Klopp has instilled his press into liverpool players or brought in new ones who can do it, pep has brought his tactical ball playing philosophy wherever hes gone.

pearsons needs to get more out of his players with a game plan that actually works, because whats happening now isnt working. 

Just now, Simon bristol said:

What is the point in having a manager then? Klopp has instilled his press into liverpool players or brought in new ones who can do it, pep has brought his tactical ball playing philosophy wherever hes gone.

pearsons needs to get more out of his players with a game plan that actually works, because whats happening now isnt working. 

I’m specifically talking about players being ‘passionate’ whatever that means. I probably worded the response wrong, of course I’d expect a manager to be able to install a philosophy.

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agree with sentence one.

Re sentence two, I’m seeing progress.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with sentence one.

Re sentence two, I’m seeing progress.

We will see over the next few games how we are progressing, we can probably identify a few in our squad who you wouldnt want in the trenches with you. Pearson has re-signed 2 of our old lot, plus at least another 3 to come into our first 11, thats half a first team plus simpson who are imparting his philosophy. Id love us to smash reading, but anything will do, i cant see where the next win will come from.

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve highlighted elsewhere that Pearson’s record is the worst of any City Manager but have not said Pearson Out.  

It's meaningless without context. And the context is that no other manager has taken over in comparable circumstances, so those stats are... well, meaningless. 

I'm not giving up on Pearson either but doubt whether the small improvements evident in both League games will be enough. But there is room for further improvement and one or two players currently injured may yet return to make a meaningful contribution as well. In the meantime, picking our best defender and best goal-scorer might help.   

But the reality is that, at the end of last season, we resembled someone involved in a serious RTA requiring emergency treatment but all Pearson's been given to help us recover is a few sticking plasters.

Unless he can pull a few rabbits out of the hat before the transfer window closes, those sticking plasters aren't going to be enough. Imo. 

Fingers firmly crossed until the end of August.

31 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Last season 3 teams got promoted , 3 were relegated from the Championship. Those are the only records that count as they have a tangible impact on the current season. Who came 7 th in 2005 in the Championship? No-one knows no-one cares and it counts zero. 

Pearson was tasked with keeping is in the Championship. We are in the Championship. He is tasked with dramatically reducing our wage bill. He has gone a long way toward achieving that. He was tasked with developing our youth players to become first team regulars. He is working on that. He has a target to transform our squad availability , he has worked on that. He has no target for promotion.

yet people choose to completely ignore that.  The starting position this season is massively different from the March to May period.

2 games in, we have created more chances than was the norm last season, and have played 2 games and got 1 point.

results are important but not in a 2 game sample.  In our 14/15 season, we lost 3 in 5 at one point.  Cotts out ??‍♂️

We have to improve our defending, that is known by all at the club.

yep, manager and players admitting to working on this.  You don’t necessarily solve overnight.  You don’t necessarily solve by changing players or formations.  Understand the root cause and address that….solutions can vary.

We have to get through this season with a number of players that are questionable on a number of levels. To read someone describe our squad as awesome is pretty interesting when we could not give away a large number of those players.

they aren’t awesome but if that Ralph uses that term, then she can use it as a stick to beat NP with, because by her logic “if the players are good, but results not, it must be the manager”.  That is not me trying to tell her what she is thinking….it’s evident to all of us in her posts.  The logical person would suggest are players have enough quality to not be getting the results they have….but as above this team has only played together twice. ??‍♂️

To disregard clear improvements is also rather disingenuous . You just have to say you never wanted NP here , end of. Be bold and stick to your views.

in a nutshell.

To disregard the context of the current situation is not going to help the club. There are times when you just have to support, this is one of them, as the situation is far more important than any individuals view. That does not mean blind support, does not even mean NP is the right manager (though I rather feel whatever happens over the next years our club will be far better for his tenure) , it just means that BCFC needs more positive vibes right now, because  getting into a further crisis just so someone can say "I told you so" is infantile and selfish. This is not a normal season or a normal moment in time. It is when you need to be a supporter first and foremost. COYR.

less bothered how fans on a forum support the club or not….would prefer those that attend do get behind the team though.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I actually agree here, it’s why he’s also brought in his own “Aaron Wilbraham” types, to set the standards, maintain the standards, etc.  Alby was in effect Cotts eyes and ears in the dressing room (without being a snitch) and made sure they did what the manager wanted.  We saw what happened when the likes of Tomlin was allowed by the manager to not fall in line.  Pearson has brought James and King (and Simpson) to do similar.

In the past we’ve usually seen the good cop assistant / bad cop manager dynamic.  If feels like some managers might use players to do that too.

But we must also remember there are possibly 1 or 2 players under contract that don’t fit what Nige wants, but unless you can find a buyer are stuck here and won’t change.

Think this is where I usually provide a link of Rasmus Ankersen’s TED talk re Newcastle!!

I think this was a classic results > performance and eventually results caught up.  Don’t get me wrong I didn’t see as many bad performances in LJ’s time as I did in the DH / NP period….but then again I only saw home games, prior to going VPN airlines, so I got to every game from Covid onwards.  So it might’ve felt less because I saw less games.

But at least I am seeing improvement now we are getting a stronger team on the pitch.  Others may disagree, that’s fine.  Off the pitch we have a plan, a plan hugely constrained by finances.  Without going over old ground, Holden felt the first pinch of LJ / MA spend-fest with lack of money for signings, but he still had a big squad, was able to bring in Mawson on loan, sign Lansbury, etc.  Pearson has had to handle a constrained budget, reduce squad size as well as wages too.

We need some patience, we need to observe and analyse.  We need to stop knee-jerking two games into the season…..some did it after one.  If people want to drag up last season, that is fine too, but to stick their hands over their ears and go la-la-la-la when people counter their view shows their agenda (vendetta someone suggested), or their inability to process info.

A very large majority of City fans are 100% behind NP. 
The idiots who aren’t need to start to get behind the Team, need to allow NP some breathing space. Three seasons of mistakes by SL (and yes SL needs to take some of the responsibility) and a squad that ain’t fit for purpose will take time to sell.
If you were a manager, would you buy a footballer who can’t pass, tackle, and is lazy? Not easy to get rid of these players in the current climate.

Support the Team or go and support the scum at Whorefield and find out just how bad it really is.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Last season 3 teams got promoted , 3 were relegated from the Championship. Those are the only records that count as they have a tangible impact on the current season. Who came 7 th in 2005 in the Championship? No-one knows no-one cares and it counts zero. 

Pearson was tasked with keeping is in the Championship. We are in the Championship. He is tasked with dramatically reducing our wage bill. He has gone a long way toward achieving that. He was tasked with developing our youth players to become first team regulars. He is working on that. He has a target to transform our squad availability , he has worked on that. He has no target for promotion. 

2 games in, we have created more chances than was the norm last season, and have played 2 games and got 1 point. We have to improve our defending, that is known by all at the club. We have to get through this season with a number of players that are questionable on a number of levels. To read someone describe our squad as awesome is pretty interesting when we could not give away a large number of those players. To disregard clear improvements is also rather disingenuous . You just have to say you never wanted NP here , end of. Be bold and stick to your views. To disregard the context of the current situation is not going to help the club. There are times when you just have to support, this is one of them, as the situation is far more important than any individuals view. That does not mean blind support, does not even mean NP is the right manager (though I rather feel whatever happens over the next years our club will be far better for his tenure) , it just means that BCFC needs more positive vibes right now, because  getting into a further crisis just so someone can say "I told you so" is infantile and selfish. This is not a normal season or a normal moment in time. It is when you need to be a supporter first and foremost. COYR. 

Have run out of reactions but great post.

On 16/08/2021 at 08:52, BTRFTG said:

Been done to death. The 'infrastructure' (not owned by the football club you'll recall,) is worth far less than people imagine, as are any bespoke assets. Value predominantly lies in the freehold land on which the infrastructure sits, but with CIL, Section 106 and overheads any residual land value is greatly reduced from that headlined.

Income from the activities you mention doesn't go to the football club.

The football club's a financial basketcase and I struggle to see who'd buy it from SL.

What died, apart from any sense coming from your keyboard?  

Its clear that the infrastructure is not owned by the football club, though the club is interlinked in a complex arrangement that separates out the different teams and the stadium and training facilities.  However, the interlinked nature of the arrangement itself has does nevertheless have a positive impact on the value of the football club and it is still an asset that raises that value. 

Income from the activities related to the stadium don't go currently directly to the football club but again because they are linked, this would be a consideration in valuation because of the guarantees that have been given to the club about the stadium and that are required in law.   Again, this is an asset.   

There are two elements of value here in relation to infrastructure.  One is the freehold, and while this is very modestly reduced by regulatory requirements and overheads, it is still huge.  We are talking about signfifcant land in a prime city location that practically has approved planning permission for a major multi-million pound multi-purpose development.  Have you seen the proposals?  Are you seriously suggesting that's worth peanuts because of a relatively modest CIL and section 106 requirement?  The other of course is the stadium itself - again, you are laughably suggesting that its worth very little, despite the fact that it has undergone a £45M redevelopment, has national recognition, is the home of two sports teams and successfully holds a range of other events including concerts, conferencces and corporate entertainment.    

And we haven't even got on to the team itself.  Despite how poor we are at the moment, we remain at this time a well established Championship side valued at around £125M.  We will undoutedly have made a huge loss last year, along wtih most other football clubs, but to be fair to SL it does remain on a stable financial footing overall in the context of the current position in the sport. 

Basketcase with nothing going for us we certainly aint.                     

I hope this thread doesn’t turn into the two annoying rub it in your face groups that are the negative nancies and the “I told you so’s” after any result which sways their way. They’re as annoying as each other most of the time. Flash backs to the DH times when this forum was riddled with it.

Just be happy with the result 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

I hope this thread doesn’t turn into the two annoying rub it in your face groups that are the negative nancies and the “I told you so’s” after every result which sways their way. They’re as annoying as each other most of the time. Flash backs to the DH times when this forum was riddled with it.

Yep.

We'll obviously win, lose, and draw numerous games over these next few years and at some point or another almost everyone here no matter their opinion will be "proved" both right and wrong multiple times.

Great runs, poor runs, boring times, and probably eventually an awful run that ends with Pearson leaving, wherever we might be at that point.

Then it'll all start again! No point doing " I told you so"s, we're all making predictions at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Ta, but you're welcome doesn't hashtag because of punctuation all that well, and the deliberate misspell will yield lots of hits (going back to searches before) Etymology of language and spelling is fascinating since the dawn on the internet. Great read here https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/7/22/20702335/internet-language-text-emojis-gifs-bad-for-english

I could have put #yourewelcome but it looks daft without punctuation. 

Also, because we're on the corrections of punctuation level, some science for you. https://scienceswitch.com/2016/04/03/grammar-nazi-scientists-bad-news/amp/

Great stuff this interwebs malarky :)

You are a cocktail of pendantry, false victimisation and generally being an utter knob.

You are welcome 

I was hoping to return to this thread and see a certain poster showing support for our club and a kick-on essential victory tonight. No such luck.

Definitely a personal agenda and fantasy created to back it up. Also the posts from said poster have become increasingly confrontational and passive-aggressive. Hopefully the silence is down to them taking a break from the forum, as the effects it clearly has on said poster is clearly not positive.

23 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I hope this thread doesn’t turn into the two annoying rub it in your face groups that are the negative nancies and the “I told you so’s” after any result which sways their way. They’re as annoying as each other most of the time. Flash backs to the DH times when this forum was riddled with it.

I hope it does little over the top by some after two games. 

Could have been a draw but think we just edged it on the balance of play. Was pleasantly surprised by King and also thought James won a lot of loose balls. 
We didn’t actually look like really scoring today, we scored 3 because Reading looked awful in defence and conceded worse goals than we did. I’ll take it but I do think the goals will dry up again - I’m happy to be proved wrong though!

Thought Massengo done okay when he came on, but should have fouled the guy for their second goal. Also looked like their first goal went out first but would like to see it again as a Reading mate was adamant it stayed in!

4 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Ta, but you're welcome doesn't hashtag because of punctuation all that well, and the deliberate misspell will yield lots of hits (going back to searches before) Etymology of language and spelling is fascinating since the dawn on the internet. Great read here https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/7/22/20702335/internet-language-text-emojis-gifs-bad-for-english

I could have put #yourewelcome but it looks daft without punctuation. 

Also, because we're on the corrections of punctuation level, some science for you. https://scienceswitch.com/2016/04/03/grammar-nazi-scientists-bad-news/amp/

Great stuff this interwebs malarky :)

Superb over the top response, when you could have just admitted “yeh, I put ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’ when I was correcting you, oops!” 

38 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nah, it would be too easy to admit you're just a bunch of bullying asshats who throw their toys out of the pram when someone doesnt agree with them wouldn't it?

We won, yet here we are.  

Sad times indeed. 

Haven’t a clue what you are talking about ... “bunch of bullying asshats...” - good grief ... oh well, never mind. Have a good evening ...

5 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

What died, apart from any sense coming from your keyboard?  

Its clear that the infrastructure is not owned by the football club, though the club is interlinked in a complex arrangement that separates out the different teams and the stadium and training facilities.  However, the interlinked nature of the arrangement itself has does nevertheless have a positive impact on the value of the football club and it is still an asset that raises that value. 

Income from the activities related to the stadium don't go currently directly to the football club but again because they are linked, this would be a consideration in valuation because of the guarantees that have been given to the club about the stadium and that are required in law.   Again, this is an asset.   

There are two elements of value here in relation to infrastructure.  One is the freehold, and while this is very modestly reduced by regulatory requirements and overheads, it is still huge.  We are talking about signfifcant land in a prime city location that practically has approved planning permission for a major multi-million pound multi-purpose development.  Have you seen the proposals?  Are you seriously suggesting that's worth peanuts because of a relatively modest CIL and section 106 requirement?  The other of course is the stadium itself - again, you are laughably suggesting that its worth very little, despite the fact that it has undergone a £45M redevelopment, has national recognition, is the home of two sports teams and successfully holds a range of other events including concerts, conferencces and corporate entertainment.    

And we haven't even got on to the team itself.  Despite how poor we are at the moment, we remain at this time a well established Championship side valued at around £125M.  We will undoutedly have made a huge loss last year, along wtih most other football clubs, but to be fair to SL it does remain on a stable financial footing overall in the context of the current position in the sport. 

Basketcase with nothing going for us we certainly aint.                     

The nominal value of the bespoke infrastructure is stated in the accounts. I could explain how, under RICS, one could extrapolate  residual land value of interest to an investor  but from your other deductions I fear you'd struggle to follow the accounting logic. Just because something costs 'X' to build doesn't mean it retains that value. It's value is worth only what somebody will pay to acquire or use it. Stadiums ain't worth zip.

You also appear to overstate the relationship between Lansdown's various entities. The only material link being SL himself. The football club has no material value, rather huge liabilities. As for the holding company it's last accounts revealed net assets of £5m and loan and shares liability at £136m. That  included £25m in 'intangible' assets. So if the club (the only thing with primary potential income worth purchasing,) ceased tomorrow it would make a dent in Lansdown's pocket of somewhere between £130m - £150m. I lie, it would be greater given the 20/21 accounts will be much, much worse.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nah, it would be too easy to admit you're just a bunch of bullying asshats who throw their toys out of the pram when someone doesnt agree with them wouldn't it?

We won, yet here we are.  

Sad times indeed. 

You're such a victim.

You put controversial opinions out there on a Football forum and when people don't like what you say and give you some back you cry bullying. 

Up the Nigel Pearsons Cider Army! 

Archived