IGNORED

Pearson

Hampshire reds

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Performance against Blackpool was pretty good most of game, no? And FGR we bossed a lot of it. And for a period in second half today we looked ok. 

Clearly we have issues still but I'm not seeing what youre seeing if you think these last three games have been a continuation of the total capitulation last season. 

Spot on. We are playing better than when Holden was here but we aren’t getting the results 

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Can we stop blaming managers and see the situation for what it is, ie the failure of the owner and his damaging dream, more a nightmare for City, of Bristol Sport.

.......and the solutions that people are putting forward involve said owner making even more decisions (that will end well) and spending even more money that will be offset against FFP and give us even less money to spend on improvements.

51 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Your appreciation of Johnson is the same as the electric company turning off all your power in your home, then giving you some lit candles in return. 

You forgot to add...

"Your home is a thatched cottage and after some negligent and ill-thought placement of said candles in formation, after a brief but brightly illuminating episode, you now get soaked through every time it rains and find visitors no longer desire to visit...."

Still, 3 or 4 summers and you'll have grown enough thatch to get watertight.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

You forgot to add...

"Your home is a thatched cottage and after some negligent and ill-thought placement of said candles in formation, after a brief but brightly illuminating episode, you now get soaked through every time it rains and find visitors no longer desire to visit...."

Still, 3 or 4 summers and you'll have grown enough thatch to get watertight.

and people still don't understand this !  Its amazing how different fans see how we are as a club 

1 hour ago, Hello Dave said:

Don’t disagree, but his record is no different to Pearson’s at the moment.

I mean if we are purely talking about result records then Holden has a vastly superior record after 16 league games.

Holden, after 16 league games and including his tenure at the end of the first season - W8 D4 L4 Scored 22 Conceded 16

Pearson, after 16 league games and including his tenure at the end of the first season - W2 D4 L10 Scored 16 Conceded 28

It's light and day on purely a basic statistical basis. You look at those two sets of stats and its clear who the better manager is...right? 

33 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Scouting round social media after the game, Pearson Out stuff is massive, especially on Twitter. 

Seems only here that there's any persistent defence and that that defence is based on a) blaming everyone else or b) What is now very ancient history for those concerned. 

Alarming. Is there a post match presser anywhere to watch? 

There is also c.  Pearson is here to sort the club out which had become a basket case with the Lansdowns absent from Bristol and Ashton planning his exit.  The last thing we need to do is start changing everything again.  There are people who need to be recruited in the set up as well as changing personnel.  Seems to me that King, James and Atkinson are good recruits. As far as I am concerned, if we stay up somehow whilst the foundations are being laid I am happy.  

What I am alarmed about is the insane knee jerk reaction to a 2 -1 loss to Middlesborough who I believe will probably challenge for the top 6.  The issue is people's stupidity and infantile expectation that we should win every game.

7 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Heyy, you made a good post, I wasn't trying to start world war 3 or owt. 

Respect your opinion over twitter, disagree because of I think it was LJ that still had favour on here but was sacked after comments and pressure elsewhere as part of the reasons he went. 

I hate twitter too, but I'm trying to catch a feel of where we're at. 

Nah, you're good, seeing as not suggesting he go or be sacked, just yet and literally saying maybe worth keeping a mind on things. Why on earth should I give you 'names'? Not like it would matter anyway as when were fans last part of a panel to choose a manager here. 

What a thoroughly bizarre exchange. You started on this thread by mentioning “Pearson out”, clearly do not want him here but offer no alternative. Not even a personal opinion.

You say fans are never on a panel on who to appoint and yet very keen to see which fans want to sack someone.

“Hate twitter” but jumped straight on after first defeat of the season and searched “Pearson out”. Deary me.

29 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

can coach organise all you like if players can’t read situations game manage be brave put bodies on the line want to win any challenge win headers what can you do can’t give players intelligence will to win and the balls for a battle. Can line them up in a formation. Put a defensive plan in place. Doesn’t matter if defenders don’t the ability to read things or the guts to win a header or show any commitment cant coach that

Yep, down to players as well. HOWEVER, I don't think we've looked particularly well organised for a couple of seasons.

These players, as a rule, have performed well: at other clubs, internationally, and in the past here in some cases.

You have to ask big questions about why they now seem incapable of doing the basics.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Vast majority wanted Pearson. Now some are bailing on the man you wanted?!  Show some backbone and support him 

Literally this. Probably would have moaned had we not appointed him. Can’t win. Some of our supporters piss me right off and need to look at the bigger picture.

59 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Scouting round social media after the game, Pearson Out stuff is massive, especially on Twitter. 

Seems only here that there's any persistent defence and that that defence is based on a) blaming everyone else or b) What is now very ancient history for those concerned. 

Alarming. Is there a post match presser anywhere to watch? 

Must be all the teeny boppers, want every think now generation, who don't understand that changing the culture within the club will take time.

Have not looked, but guess all those shouting for NP out, would have no clue who you would replace him with.

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

There is also c.  Pearson is here to sort the club out which had become a basket case with the Lansdowns absent from Bristol and Ashton planning his exit.  The last thing we need to do is start changing everything again.  There are people who need to be recruited in the set up as well as changing personnel.  Seems to me that King, James and Atkinson are good recruits. As far as I am concerned, if we stay up somehow whilst the foundations are being laid I am happy.  

What I am alarmed about is the insane knee jerk reaction to a 2 -1 loss to Middlesborough who I believe will probably challenge for the top 6.  The issue is people's stupidity and infantile expectation that we should win every game.

Winning one every 6 months would be a start

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Must be all the teeny boppers, want every think now generation, who don't understand that changing the culture within the club will take time.

Have not looked, but guess all those shouting for NP out, would have no clue who you would replace him with.

Wilder

2 hours ago, GodEmperor Palpatine said:

I don't recall Johnson at the beginning of his tenure winning 2 games out 17. In fact I recall between him and Pemberton dragging us out of an appalling situation where we were heading down.

Pearson on the other hand has taken over from Holden and dragged us further down.

They had an open transfer window (plus emergency loan window) where they brought in:

Tomlin

Odemwingie

Gladwin

Pearce

Matthews

Golbourne

Pearson had the OOC market, hence Danny Simpson, coupled with an injured squad forced to play the kids and a few players like Hunt who played through injury.

It is very different circumstances.

FWIW I expected Pearson do have done a bit better results-wise, but I really saw last season as a “fact find”.  This season I will judge, but not just on results and definitely not after 2 league games.  People will disagree but I thought last week was a decent performance, today wasn’t though.

I hope Nige doesn’t go the way of say SOD, where we benefit only from the building blocks put in place and some key players that someone else benefits from.

I do think this squad has enough about it though to not be in a relegation fight….and can build under him.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but he is not doing his job. take the second half of last season and 3 games this season the results and performances have been dreadful. if players are not brought in asap then relagation is on the cards.

Quick Matron we have a serial bed wetter!!

26 minutes ago, nellie said:

You can't argue with this 

Yea I mean how dare he invest over 100 million in to the club 

I was ashton gate was still the terracing we had in the 80s and the training facilities were still a school field

I'm not an ardent Pearson fan. On appointment I was cold, and not truly believing that he was the guy to fix us. So far I've seen steady improvement, certainly improvement compared to the last days of Holden, but there's a long way to go before we start disrupting the top 6.

I'm willing to give him time, and to judge him on more than simple results.

Shots and shots on target remain a concern - but as they've been poor throughout the tenures of three managers I do not lay much blame at Pearson's door. The players need to find a solution to that issue. I don't think it's the manager's fault that they seem to be shy of just pulling the trigger.

We need to hold our nerve for now. Come 10 games in we can start to see true trends. At that point there's still 36 games, plus a winter transfer window, to recover, and it's at that point I'd expect to see decisions made.

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yea I mean how dare he invest over 100 million in to the club 

I was ashton gate was still the terracing we had in the 80s and the training facilities were still a school field

You mean when it was still a Football Club 

18 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

can someone explain why Pearson is so popular after all we are not winning football matches.

Speaking for myself here are some of the reasons he is popular.

NP……..

knows what’s needed and is determined and focussed on achieving it 

talks sensibly and honestly 

has already created a fitter squad 

recognizes the need to change the culture  

has reduced our wage bill considerably

provides experience, know how and a can do attitude 

let’s players know what’s expected of them, selects based on what he sees and will not hesitate in making changes when any player falls short

I could go on. This is a major rebuilding project, it will take time (as NP has made clear) I have every confidence that NP is more than capable of executing what’s needed and we bring success to BCFC.

Finally, although we are not winning we are showing some encouraging signs of improvement IMO (although we have a long, long way to go) e.g. fitter, more focussed on going forward, greater competitiveness and a smaller / more balanced squad. 

Pleased to see this thread, in a way, because it would be troublingly abnormal if it didn’t exist after the sort of run presided over by NP. Not to be questioning the managers job would effectively be to recognise that literally everything else at the club has gone to rats, which I don’t think is  really the case. My view, which admittedly surfs an emotional rollercoaster at present, is that we have to stick with him come what may (and I rather suspect the may could well be relegation). He’s got experience, a reputation and a plan of sorts, which is all we can realistically hope for at present. In 50 years of support, I can only recall two occasions when the manager has been so financially restricted- TC after 1982 and Russell Osman famously comparing his budget to the change in his pocket. This is going to get very messy over the next 9 months, but sacking the man in November or February and hoping for a bounce isn’t the way, even if it leads to a bit of a bounce. None of the usual managerial suspects or alternatives could do better in these extraordinary circumstances. Post Covid, it is what it is for us, and what it is seems pretty crappy. Paradoxically, ironically NP is the one thing at present that gives me a bit of hope. 

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Planet irony i think. With a hint of sarcasm 

Is that the planet that has the rings of facetious around it too?

1 hour ago, Waffleflap said:

I’d rather Nige was talking about wins, but I’d also rather be told straight that he thought we weren’t good enough today.  Further hints at how his selection policy will work too.

You give any manager this squad with the way they have played over the last two/three years and it would be the same. The players aren't good enough to play any specific way we want to. 

We don't have agile, slick skilful players that can knock the ball about and dominate possession. We don't have a tall, physical battling squad that can leave possession aside and work towards key moments and set pieces. We don't have a strong defensive unit with bursting pace on the break. 

We have a mismatch of players that just don't fit together and some of them just aren't good enough mentally or good enough quality wise. We have an inconsistent squad with no real ethos which is leading to consistent negative results. 

I doubt even Warnock or Mick McCarthy could make us stable. This will take time and this time we are going to go through is not going to be nice or fun, but maybe if we stick it out and keep rooting on the team and see what we can work with in the future. 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope Nige doesn’t go the way of say SOD, where we benefit only from the building blocks put in place and some key players that someone else benefits from.

Right now, if I had to make a prediction of the next couple of years... this is about what I'd go for. It's basically what Pearson did at Leicester after all.

Edit: just to add - if we get 4 years of Pearson that includes us winning the Champ in 2022/23 but ends a season later with players in an orgy with Thai hookers, resulting in the appointment of a classy Italian manager and then a delightful ride to the Prem title in 2025/26..then all aboard the 4231 bus let's all go for a ******* ride. Andy King will stamp your ticket now.

My twopenneth, steps backward to take steps forward. Starting to see some of the steps forward, but not enough yet. Given the situation he’s been handed, aka awful, think it’s reasonable to be in the camp of giving NP more time, without that having to equate to a massive love in for him or a view that he will definitely succeed. I think he’s our best option right now and part of me is almost encouraged that we haven’t seen one of those awful dead cat bounces that always flatter to deceive.

Patience for now and a petty part of me happy to take any opinion that differs to the delirium in Twitter (and to some extent, here). 

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but he is not doing his job. take the second half of last season and 3 games this season the results and performances have been dreadful. if players are not brought in asap then relagation is on the cards.

You're an idiot, always have been.

Wake up call, we have zero money because the previous regime sold the house banking on selling £25m of players each season.

We had to release 11 players and we are still struggling to break even. Pearson doesn't have a free ride but he's not a miracle worker either. It will take time to sort this mess out.

Finish above the drop and I will be delighted. 

Personally am somewhere in the middle - nowhere near wanting him to go yet, but also slightly disappointed with his impact.

I said I'd give him until at least Christmas, and that's still where I am. I can see improvement, and if I'm not going to judge Holden after 2 wins, I wont judge Pearson after this draw and loss - almost typed two losses there such is the negativity on here (yes I know about the cup game).

If we're adrift at the bottom after 10 I may revisit that, but after all the posts over the summer about the wider issues it's a shame to see so many clearly with the knives out already even if they tack on a "oh but I hope he succeeds of course" on at the end to cover themselves. Being anti-manager is the easiest position in the world - they almost all fail and get fired. Who was the last city manager to get poached by a better club... I can't even remember?

You could be against almost any manager we've had in the last 20 years ("he's a conference manager") and be playing off you were right based on how it ended.

That said, I am disappointed as I said. I had Pearson down as someone partially straddling the "motivator", Neil Warnock category of manager. On that side I was hoping he'd certainly have had a more positive impact than he has so far, so it's not all roses. I don't think anyone is saying that.

As I said, Christmas at the earliest for me. If we accept (which most of us seem to) there are deep rooted systematic issues at our club, we have to accept it's going to take time to turn this ship around.

Archived