IGNORED

Pearson

Hampshire reds

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Christmas at the earliest for me

Agree with much of what you say, but I'd be looking at replacements in October if we're really struggling. Wait until Christmas and we could, possibly, be too far adrift. We might also miss out on a good manager being appointed by another club that pulls the cord earlier than us.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes as far as i know?

I'd imagine he's enjoying the summer and is waiting for late October when he'd probably have his pick of half a dozen jobs.

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Doubt he’d leave Man City 

Sorry, is he in a job there? I thought he was free? This article is from 5 days ago and suggests he's free.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11683/12374618/chris-wilder-ready-to-return-to-football-management-and-climb-next-mountain-after-sheffield-united-exit

Edit: just realised your joke. This is why punctuation is important. 

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree with much of what you say, but I'd be looking at replacements in October if we're really struggling. Wait until Christmas and we could, possibly, be too far adrift. We might also miss out on a good manager being appointed by another club that pulls the cord earlier than us.

That's fair. If it was seriously looking like relegation was on the cards I'd probably back that, provided it wasn't the opposite situation of last season where performances weren't mismatched with results but in a negative way.

If we were 19th and 5 points above the drop in October I'd still stick rather than twist, personally.

It's generally about trajectory for me. It's why I think making a direct comparison with Lee or Holden isn't really valid. When Lee took the helm we were pretty much on a general upward trajectory and needed a slight course correction, and for Holden we were teetering on the brink but just about steady, in my opinion. For Pearson we're well off the edge.

It'd be like comparing two building projects, one with poor foundations and one with good. The builder who took on the poor foundations project might look like a joker, as their first 6 months are spent bashing stuff down and they look like they're going backwards, while the other is cracking on and making great visible progress. What I'm more interested in is what the structure looks like once they're done though, not after the first few months.

44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, down to players as well. HOWEVER, I don't think we've looked particularly well organised for a couple of seasons.

These players, as a rule, have performed well: at other clubs, internationally, and in the past here in some cases.

You have to ask big questions about why they now seem incapable of doing the basics.

Fair question that 3 managers haven’t managed to decipher the problem could say lack of confidence but baker hardly played Atkinson new . So they shouldn’t be in that bracket. If coaches weren’t good enough Pearson would of fired them out and he oversees training so must be happy with that . Can’t all have a bad attitude. Just doesn’t seem to be an answer. 

Just now, IAmNick said:

performances weren't mismatched with results

This is, off course, absolutely key and is what I mean when I say I won't judge him solely on results.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

It's generally about trajectory for me. It's why I think making a direct comparison with Lee or Holden isn't really valid. When Lee took the helm we were pretty much on a general upward trajectory and needed a slight course correction, and for Holden we were teetering on the brink but just about steady, in my opinion. For Pearson we're well off the edge.

Good points, and again, why i am willing to give the bloke time despite being less than a mega-fan of his initial appointment. 

There have been spells of good football in these first two games. Our fortunes have turned on a few key moments - there's a parallel universe out there where we've won 3 games so far this season.

Just now, Monkeh said:

In the 4th division 

Still a football club anyway we are not there now in my opinion we are better off sticking with NP we brought in Atkinson that after all this covid finance stuff improves will bring us a profit if we are looking at it as a business   

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Personally am somewhere in the middle - nowhere near wanting him to go yet, but also slightly disappointed with his impact.

I said I'd give him until at least Christmas, and that's still where I am. I can see improvement, and if I'm not going to judge Holden after 2 wins, I wont judge Pearson after this draw and loss - almost typed two losses there such is the negativity on here (yes I know about the cup game).

If we're adrift at the bottom after 10 I may revisit that, but after all the posts over the summer about the wider issues it's a shame to see so many clearly with the knives out already even if they tack on a "oh but I hope he succeeds of course" on at the end to cover themselves. Being anti-manager is the easiest position in the world - they almost all fail and get fired. Who was the last city manager to get poached by a better club... I can't even remember?

You could be against almost any manager we've had in the last 20 years ("he's a conference manager") and be playing off you were right based on how it ended.

That said, I am disappointed as I said. I had Pearson down as someone partially straddling the "motivator", Neil Warnock category of manager. On that side I was hoping he'd certainly have had a more positive impact than he has so far, so it's not all roses. I don't think anyone is saying that.

As I said, Christmas at the earliest for me. If we accept (which most of us seem to) there are deep rooted systematic issues at our club, we have to accept it's going to take time to turn this ship around.

Very sensible post.

27 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

You give any manager this squad with the way they have played over the last two/three years and it would be the same. The players aren't good enough to play any specific way we want to. 

We don't have agile, slick skilful players that can knock the ball about and dominate possession. We don't have a tall, physical battling squad that can leave possession aside and work towards key moments and set pieces. We don't have a strong defensive unit with bursting pace on the break. 

We have a mismatch of players that just don't fit together and some of them just aren't good enough mentally or good enough quality wise. We have an inconsistent squad with no real ethos which is leading to consistent negative results. 

I doubt even Warnock or Mick McCarthy could make us stable. This will take time and this time we are going to go through is not going to be nice or fun, but maybe if we stick it out and keep rooting on the team and see what we can work with in the future. 

I disagee about the player qualities and although we will never know I believe that Chris Hughton for example would have provided a "steadier ship" and got more out of the squad.

Just my opinion.

Just now, VT05763 said:

I disagee about the player qualities and although we will never know I believe that Chris Hughton for example would have provided a "steadier ship" and got more out of the squad.

Just my opinion.

I guess we will get to see Forest as the barometer of Hughton.

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Just my opinion.

I wanted Hughton when LJ went. Unfortunately , the oily p r ick in charge of recruiting the new manager, didn't want someone who would see through him. He needed a novice to negotiate his own escape plan. 

10 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

That's fair. If it was seriously looking like relegation was on the cards I'd probably back that, provided it wasn't the opposite situation of last season where performances weren't mismatched with results but in a negative way.

If we were 19th and 5 points above the drop in October I'd still stick rather than twist, personally.

It'd be like comparing two building projects, one with poor foundations and one with good. The builder who took on the poor foundations project might look like a joker, as their first 6 months are spent bashing stuff down and they look like they're going backwards, while the other is cracking on and making great visible progress. What I'm more interested in is what the structure looks like once they're done though, not after the first few months.

I agree with most of your post. I'm still in the "I would be very pleased if we got someone like Nigel Pearson in as our manager" brigade.

I am also still in the mind that this is a season of consolidation and recovery after the appalling actions of Ashton etcetera.

However, in my time supporting City, I have seen enough returns to the land where I started - Division Three. So if we continue to go on another massive run of winless games a la LJ (11 pts from 69) by end of September, we could be almost dead and buried. Could I not be screaming a change? I don't know. I want NP to succeed. He is a "proper" football manager but as I said above I've seen enough Third Division.

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but he is not doing his job. take the second half of last season and 3 games this season the results and performances have been dreadful. if players are not brought in asap then relagation is on the cards.

Every week this. You are obsessed fella. This year is going to be a huge struggle - would appear you are not buckled in. This started a long time ago when holding on to LJ for too long and then appointing Holden. We have set ourselves back a couple of years with such naivety. I’d be interested to know who you’d appoint to turn the tide?! I agree the results are poor but we are currently operating on limited funds and youngsters who aren’t ready yet. 

I do though question the selection of Vyner at right back. Not a championship centre half let alone a full back. 

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whist I like Wilder and think he is a good manager, do you really think he would come here and even if he did, what makes you think he would do any better than our already very experienced manager

Unless hes retired and terms could be agreed then i believe he would come. It would be almost impossible not to do any better than our current manager?

40 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

You're an idiot, always have been.

Wake up call, we have zero money because the previous regime sold the house banking on selling £25m of players each season.

We had to release 11 players and we are still struggling to break even. Pearson doesn't have a free ride but he's not a miracle worker either. It will take time to sort this mess out.

Finish above the drop and I will be delighted. 

Why are people getting so abusive?  Pearson has won 2 out of 17 games; that compares to Holden who won 16 out of 37.  Surely that’s justification enough for people to at least question Pearson’s competence without being called an idiot?

51 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Right now, if I had to make a prediction of the next couple of years... this is about what I'd go for. It's basically what Pearson did at Leicester after all.

Edit: just to add - if we get 4 years of Pearson that includes us winning the Champ in 2022/23 but ends a season later with players in an orgy with Thai hookers, resulting in the appointment of a classy Italian manager and then a delightful ride to the Prem title in 2025/26..then all aboard the 4231 bus let's all go for a ******* ride. Andy King will stamp your ticket now.

Nothing better for team bonding than a orgy i guess !!

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why are people getting so abusive?  Pearson has won 2 out of 17 games; that compares to Holden who won 16 out of 37.  Surely that’s justification enough for people to at least question Pearson’s competence without being called an idiot?

Is there anyone who springs to mind who you think might be more competent, given the current situation at the club as a whole?.

3 hours ago, GodEmperor Palpatine said:

What so we weren't struggling then hahahaha, yeah ok

You can criticise LJ all you want, in the end it became stale and he probably had to go. Despite that, he actually had us in a position where even 12th in the Champ wasn't good enough to keep your job, he increased the stature of the club. A victim of his own success so to speak and given your posts about him, its seems to eat away at you that the guy you really disliked was our most successful manager in recent times in the second tier.

Cope harder

Worked for Watford, remind me where they are and where we are

Parachute payments make a big difference 

4 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but he is not doing his job. take the second half of last season and 3 games this season the results and performances have been dreadful. if players are not brought in asap then relagation is on the cards.

I see you have had a lot of negative feedback to this post.  I as most fans were overjoyed when Nap was appointed but you are right, the results for a manager of his pedigree have been pathetic so far.  Fingers crossed he turns it around and I hope he had not lost his mojo.  I do think he will turn this around but will take time. 

No manager could do better at the moment IMO, we have a squad in transition that doesn't suit any known formation and tactics. 

While we can be critical (and should) the best thing we can do is get behind the lads because they need our support if we're to avoid being involved in a relegation battle. 

Archived