IGNORED

It’s only been 2 bloody games

Bristolded1987

Just now, Bristolded1987 said:

I mean to start the start of the season . Players have gone and few have come in . So it takes time . 

Ultimately you’re correct - but in general people’s concerns are about the lack of visible improvement and poor depth in key areas.

It’s understandable for people to be concerned, and most are well aware that things take time. You’ll always get a couple of reactionaries regardless.

8 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

It’s only been 2 bloody league games. Over the last few years we started well and had a cup run and look where that got us . Just give it time before everyone starts moaning and slagging the city off . Rome was not built in a day 

Think there's an equal argument to say its been around 15 games. Whilst I doubt anyone is expecting us to be top 6 - I personally was expecting a highly experienced manager to have been able to get more than a couple of wins out of this squad. Based on todays performance we are continuing to show the same frailties as last season despite new players and others back from injury. Next 3 games are arguably tougher than the 3 games we have played.

14 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

It’s only been 2 bloody league games. Over the last few years we started well and had a cup run and look where that got us . Just give it time before everyone starts moaning and slagging the city off . Rome was not built in a day 

We needed a good start to stay up last year.

Just now, Banjo Red said:

We needed a good start to stay up last year.

Yes we did , but last year and over the last few we all thought this is going to be our year and it was not , so starts to the season does not always mean everything . 
It has been a disappointing start but it’s 2 league games and there is plenty of time 

2 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Since our last decent home performance?

Yes it has I don’t disagree at all . But it’s 2 league games into this season . Nothing is won or lost in that time . It has been disappointing but we can’t judge nige on such a short period . I’m not saying he will get us promoted or relegated but there is no way how some people on here saying sack him he is crap he has no clue or what ever they are saying , can judge someone on such a short period . 

Just now, Banjo Red said:

Our year is staying up this season.

Hopefully ?. All I’m saying is don’t judge nothing on 2 games . 

I remember saying when Holden was appointed it would set us back two seasons. 

Frustrating as it is, that assessment seems right now, this season is another transitional one. 

I take heart in the fact there were some nice glimpses of quality today, but ultimately the hangover of the Ashton/LJ/Holden era still looms long over the squad.

You can sense there is tension in some areas of the squad as NP starts to assert his authority and his way - ultimately he’ll win and soon enough we’ll have a team fully playing for him. 

I’m willing to give it time.

2 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

Yes we did , but last year and over the last few we all thought this is going to be our year and it was not , so starts to the season does not always mean everything . 
It has been a disappointing start but it’s 2 league games and there is plenty of time 

I have been watching City for 40 years and whilst i completely agree that we shouldn't go overboard after 2 league games, its very clear that this squad is average and results are unlikely to improve without 2 or 3 quality additions, primarily in the attacking areas.

Nige still has my backing but i have to say i am worried by his start and expected a bit better. When you compare the reaction that both McCarthy and Warnock have had then it is concerning.

Just now, The Horse With No Name said:

Every club in the division has let players go and brought new ones in. Why havent they all had shit starts because " it needs time"

Because none of them have had the equilivent of 11 players out and only 3 in while being completely cashstrapped by FFP, with the numbers then made up by academy players.

The only club close to that is Derby. Which puts it into perspective and highlights how much historical high wage spending has cucked us ultimately this season.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Because none of them have had the equilivent of 11 players out and only 3 in while being completely cashstrapped by FFP, with the numbers then made up by academy players.

The only club close to that is Derby. Which puts it into perspective and highlights how much historical high wage spending has cucked us ultimately this season.

Please explain how we are any more cashstrapped by FFP than any other club? 

11 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

Pre-season - 'Massive rebuild needed!!'

Two games into season - 'Surely the massive rebuild should have happened by now!!'

To me, it's bonkers. Then again, Im seeing a lot of progress compared to last season that a lot of others don't seem to be seeing. Blackpool and FGR, a lot of promise. Even today, over 60% possession away from home. There are obvious signs of improvement. But I can understand why a lot of people aren't in the mood to look for them given Pearson's overall record. 

It's going to take all the games in August to work out the squad, decide who to sell, who we need to buy (those two things will be connected), who is going to step up and who would rather be somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Because our wages to turnover were stupidly high compared to others, and most of those who left on a free were signed for significant fees (upwards of £10m). We also have high earners remaining on the books such as Kalas, Palmer, Wells (i.e. circa £65kpw estimate). 

Added to that, the players lost for no residual fee due to our poor negotiating position with unhappy players (Walsh, Diedhiou).

It all ultimately adds up. We'll only get an idea of the full picture once full accounts are released.

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Because we’ve allowed our costs to grow quicker than our revenues.  When we could sell £20m of players each season, we closed the gap between revenue and costs to an acceptable level.

In 19/20 our last published accounts, our revenue was £27.9m our costs £62.9m….offset by £25.6m transfer profit.  Even with that we made a £9.1m loss.

Our transfer profit last season by my reckoning was….£2.8m.

Several other clubs, excluding those with PPs, are cash strapped too (Derby, Reading, etc), but those with much lower cost bases (Barnsley, Luton, Millwall, etc) are less impacted, because they didn’t rely so heavily on such large transfer profit to balance the books like us.

Not realising even small fees for the likes of Diedhiou was bad.

D88DAB5F-99A3-45DE-86CC-450C265B038D.thumb.jpeg.9ab4a9fbeec6caf02d3a3bbaf5e36e81.jpeg

Pearson has started to address this by removing £10-12m (estimate) of wages and amortisation from this season’s accounts.  We haven’t even seen 20/21s yet….I’m predicting a £30m loss!!!

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Because our wages to turnover were stupidly high compared to others, and most of those who left on a free were signed for significant fees (upwards of £10m). We also have high earners remaining on the books such as Kalas, Palmer, Wells (i.e. circa £65kpw estimate). 

Added to that, the players lost for no residual fee due to our poor negotiating position with unhappy players (Walsh, Diedhiou).

It all ultimately adds up. We'll only get an idea of the full picture once full accounts are released.

Haha, pretty similar response to me!

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ultimately you’re correct - but in general people’s concerns are about the lack of visible improvement and poor depth in key areas.

It’s understandable for people to be concerned, and most are well aware that things take time. You’ll always get a couple of reactionaries regardless.

What do you mean by "reactionaries" in this context?

The last 12 months under the stewardship of a certain CEO who will remain nameless has totally ****** our club right over.

Today marked 155 days without a win in any competitive fixture.

That's why, despite being only 2 games into this season, the mood is still lower than a snakes ass in a tyre track.

I posted similar in the recruitment thread but unless we can discover a winning formula with what we currently have, we are in deep poop.

We have 2 weeks to move Nagy on (he wants away anyway) and probably one other (Kalas?) and then if we're really lucky bring in either a striker or, if we are going to keep ploughing on with 4231, a genuine, fast winger who can break defensive lines and actually cross a ball. 

We are running out of time.

1 hour ago, Bristolded1987 said:

It hasn't though its 2 wins in 15 now

52 minutes ago, Negan said:

It’s been 2 and a half years but ok

Yep, pretty much bang on. Since 13 April 2019.

On the 9 April 2019 we beat West Brom 3:2 and go 5th in the table, with six games left to play. The play-offs are not a pipe-dream, they are in the palm of our boots. We are 4 points ahead of seventh placed Boro who have played a game more, 41; and 5 points ahead of Frank Lampard's Frank Lampard FC who are 8th with six to play.

Our last six games are: Lose, Draw, Lose, Lose, Win, Draw. Five points from six games: we fall apart. Crumble. We go from 5th to 8th.

Season over and then Webster is sold, Afobe crocked and then the Nketiah shambles: we have never recovered. With the benefit of hindsight, LJ and Ashton needed to be gone summer 2019 but Steve saw "year on year improvement" while the truth is we were in the box seat after 40 games and we did a Devon Loch. We bottled it.

Archived