IGNORED

Negativity

DJI

We all crave what Brentford have, we all look to the promised land that is the premier league. Unfortunately though unlike Brentford and others before then we seem help bent on destroying a rebuild before it even has chance. Based on the comments of some it would appear that we should change managers every time we lose a game. I recall watching from the East end in the 70s, I don't ever remember such negative comments when we lost. I would say maybe it's time to come of the forum as I am sure it does not represent the majority view. 

2 minutes ago, DJI said:

We all crave what Brentford have, we all look to the promised land that is the premier league. Unfortunately though unlike Brentford and others before then we seem help bent on destroying a rebuild before it even has chance. Based on the comments of some it would appear that we should change managers every time we lose a game. I recall watching from the East end in the 70s, I don't ever remember such negative comments when we lost. I would say maybe it's time to come of the forum as I am sure it does not represent the majority view. 

Spot on! Well said ?

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Brentford have a major advantage over us, they're in London so much easier to attract new players

I don't buy this view.

If you can sell the vision what is 2 hours by car really.

Swansea had a philosophy and did what Brentford have done (i.e. PL), and that's not exactly Chelsea is it.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

Brentford have a major advantage over us, they're in London so much easier to attract new players

Im sorry but that is utter bullshit. Please tell me just out of interest why do Norwich continually and historically outperform us when geographically they are in a MUCH more isolated position in comparison to London than we are??

Let’s not be naive and say the reason Brentford have beaten us to the Prem is their location.. we have squandered  Millions and millions over the past few transfer windows on by and large absolute dross.. it has nothing to do with where Bristol is situated geographically - it’s an embarrassing excuse.

24 minutes ago, DJI said:

There was no Internet then. It does a lot of great things but really amplifies anxiety.

The negativity is underpinned by fear of a repeat of last season.  We all watched and waited last year for the bad run to end and the players to turn things round. It didn't happen, so there is a fear that the same thing could happen this season.  Yes its still early but the longer this run goes on, the harder it will be to turn it round and instil some positivity. Even LJ got his wins in the end, so there is always hope. 

13 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s amazing how Lansdown and Ashton ballsed it up, isn’t it?

Yeah we would be so much better off without SL, we could be winning more matches, but playing in the 2nd division with the gas, or going bankrupt

There is no easy magic formula, otherwise every club would do it.

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Yeah we would be so much better off without SL, we could be winning more matches, but playing in the 2nd division with the gas, or going bankrupt

There is no easy magic formula, otherwise every club would do it.

They ballsed up, just admit it. Nobody is ‘evil’ or ‘bad’, they just ****** up. 

36 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I don't buy this view.

If you can sell the vision what is 2 hours by car really.

Swansea had a philosophy and did what Brentford have done (i.e. PL), and that's not exactly Chelsea is it.

I can get to London by train from parkway in 1 hour 7 minutes direct- I totally agree

38 minutes ago, DJI said:

I recall watching from the East end in the 70s, I don't ever remember such negative comments when we lost.

I might suggest you're showing your age,  though you're spot on.

But in those days folks didn't hold unrealistic expectations, there were winners & losers, rich & poor, fortunate & less fortunate. Folks didn't think or demand themselves equal of each and everything, they didn't think the world owed them a living, for free, immediately.

When I first started as a kid in the 60's the standard comment from Crackers Corner heard week in  week out was: "Bloody Rubbish". Often correctly deployed, always as ephemeral as a mayfly. Folks hoped City would win, it wasn't the end of the world if they didn't. There was always next week. You went to AG because that's what you did. It wasn't for the glory. Folks didn't routinely berate the players or manager for fear they might bump into them on the bus, or when queuing in Stan Butts (like you'd see that today; players as far removed from supporters as imaginable.) Folks knew their & City's place, which is barely a place or two from where City presently now languish (give or take £140m or so of indebtedness.)

For many today it's: "Why can't we have what they got?" But nothing's changed. They can't because that's how the cookie crumbles, some are always more equal than others, plus, with an ever expanding base of fickle F'Wits such as we have at AG, we really don't deserve to.

42 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

we have wasted so much money. i dont expect us to win every game. but a win or two in 14 games would be nice.

I don't think you can complain that Pearson has spent too much. Lansdown has wasted money on the wrong managers and that is why we find ourselves with such a poor quality squad in many areas.

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

I can get to London by train from parkway in 1 hour 7 minutes direct- I totally agree

But you'd still need a car and age to get to AG from Parkway (last week nothing ran through to TM, but don't tell NTTDS'.) Also, do you really think players use the train these days as the size of the players car park at AG these days is vast?

My journey last week from London to Hotwells was a tad under 4 hours. These days that's routine, as is the M4 being closed & gridlock the whole length of the M32.

As a lifelong supporter I'm really thinking that the trek to Bristol is now so unattractive as to make it no longer worthwhile. Why should players & representatives think differently?

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I don't think you can complain that Pearson has spent too much. Lansdown has wasted money on the wrong managers and that is why we find ourselves with such a poor quality squad in many areas.

And allowed his two little pets to double the wage bill in the 4 years they were here. Dread to think how much the Walsh's,Adelukans ,Watkins etc... have leeched from this club with zero return 

1 hour ago, DJI said:

Agree with everything you say except the lack of negative comments in the 70s. Certainly the late 70s coming up from rural Somerset as a teenager I was genuinely shocked at how much moaning there was from City fans.

We could be drawing against a decent top league side and all around would be people moaning about Gerry Sweeney, Alan Dicks, the board. Twas ever thus.

We've not won a competitive game since 13th March and not won a home game since January 26th. It's little wonder there is a lot of negativity out there.

I don't think City fans are uniquely "moany" compared to fans of other clubs. Any fanbase would be sick to the back teeth with the months of mediocrity we've had.

We have to give Pearson much more time. No point appointing him in the first place if he gets sacked two games into his first full season!!!!

I'm both sceptical and pessimistic about how successfully he'll "rebuild" here, but let the guy show what he can do. Let him prove pessimists like me wrong. I'd be delighted!

Can somebody hereabouts explain why idiots berate Lansdown for 'wasting money'. He has, but it's his money he's wasted, not theirs. He's picking up the tab, hence is entitled to make what mistakes he likes. 

If folks demand a say in matters then expect to pay for it.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

Can somebody hereabouts explain why idiots berate Lansdown for 'wasting money'. He has, but it's his money he's wasted, not theirs. He's picking up the tab, hence is entitled to make what mistakes he likes. 

If folks demand a say in matters then expect to pay for it.

And has now had to employ a manager who has to slash the wage bill and operate under sell to buy. 

Genius. 

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

And has now had to employ a manager who has to slash the wage bill and operate under sell to buy. 

Genius. 

Indeed, but point it's that's his mistake and his money and if he no longer wishes to throw bad money after worse, why should he? Wouldn't so doing be a bigger mistake?

Archived