IGNORED

Negativity

DJI

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

But you'd still need a car and age to get to AG from Parkway (last week nothing ran through to TM, but don't tell NTTDS'.) Also, do you really think players use the train these days as the size of the players car park at AG these days is vast?

My journey last week from London to Hotwells was a tad under 4 hours. These days that's routine, as is the M4 being closed & gridlock the whole length of the M32.

As a lifelong supporter I'm really thinking that the trek to Bristol is now so unattractive as to make it no longer worthwhile. Why should players & representatives think differently?

I've seen Palmer on the train to London, in his City tracksuit no less.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I might suggest you're showing your age,  though you're spot on.

But in those days folks didn't hold unrealistic expectations, there were winners & losers, rich & poor, fortunate & less fortunate. Folks didn't think or demand themselves equal of each and everything, they didn't think the world owed them a living, for free, immediately.

When I first started as a kid in the 60's the standard comment from Crackers Corner heard week in  week out was: "Bloody Rubbish". Often correctly deployed, always as ephemeral as a mayfly. Folks hoped City would win, it wasn't the end of the world if they didn't. There was always next week. You went to AG because that's what you did. It wasn't for the glory. Folks didn't routinely berate the players or manager for fear they might bump into them on the bus, or when queuing in Stan Butts (like you'd see that today; players as far removed from supporters as imaginable.) Folks knew their & City's place, which is barely a place or two from where City presently now languish (give or take £140m or so of indebtedness.)

For many today it's: "Why can't we have what they got?" But nothing's changed. They can't because that's how the cookie crumbles, some are always more equal than others, plus, with an ever expanding base of fickle F'Wits such as we have at AG, we really don't deserve to.

Go back and read AD's programme notes - from 76 to 80! - and, unless he was imagining it or telling fibs, the "negativity" and general "oh, ffs City" atmosphere of AG was there 45 years ago while we were in the top division. 

Ashton Gate has grumbled and moaned and been generally disappointed since we dropped out of the 1st Division in 1911 (I've spent time in the central library browsing through old local papers). Everything (pretty much) that has followed that glorious beginning has been disappointing and just not good enough. Not as good as Fatty Wedlock and 1909 and all that.

We're a miserable lot, and not without reason. 

3 hours ago, DJI said:

We all crave what Brentford have, we all look to the promised land that is the premier league. Unfortunately though unlike Brentford and others before then we seem help bent on destroying a rebuild before it even has chance. Based on the comments of some it would appear that we should change managers every time we lose a game. I recall watching from the East end in the 70s, I don't ever remember such negative comments when we lost. I would say maybe it's time to come of the forum as I am sure it does not represent the majority view. 

We haven’t won a game since March, at least set our team up for a draw, 5-3-2 or 5-4-1, play defensive away from home and go for wins at home 

4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Go back and read AD's programme notes - from 76 to 80! - and, unless he was imagining it or telling fibs, the "negativity" and general "oh, ffs City" atmosphere of AG was there 45 years ago while we were in the top division. 

Ashton Gate has grumbled and moaned and been generally disappointed since we dropped out of the 1st Division in 1911 (I've spent time in the central library browsing through old local papers). Everything (pretty much) that has followed that glorious beginning has been disappointing and just not good enough. Not as good as Fatty Wedlock and 1909 and all that.

We're a miserable lot, and not without reason. 

Fans have ever grumbled and moaned, but not as now.

I recall little negativity when we were in the top flight. When we struggled against superior sides we did so because, er, because they were superior and although disappointed I really don't believe fans moaned per se when we were outplayed. I'd argue, perhaps through rose tinted glasses, that fans enjoyed the performances from those on both sides, they rarely getting to see the live on TV. For me half the fun was in watching the opposition.

Today fans seem to want to hate everybody on the opposing side, want them to perform badly such is the desire to win at all costs. It's now love/hate. 

That's the difference.

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

And has now had to employ a manager who has to slash the wage bill and operate under sell to buy. 

Genius. 

Exactly!
Probably be a very different story if they’d  employed NP earlier and given him the budget that MA and LJ succeeded in pissing up the wall and leaving us in this state.

I’d hoped to see more improvement under NP, but in fairness to him, he’s slashed our wage bill by £millions and we’re still playing better than we ended last season, so I still see that as progress.

Where to start - although I’ll caveat by saying that we’re two games into a new season and who knows how it may end.

Its easy to say that there is too much negativity, but you’d have to have the patience of a saint to at best not be underwhelmed and and worst utterly despondent due to the downward spiral of increasing velocity we’ve witnessed since “that” Wolves game.

It had been clear long before now that recruitment was painfully inadequate.  It’s been clear that large portions of the squad were at best mediocre. 

Good starts and winning streaks papered over the very obvious cracks and dare I say if it wasn’t from some very notable performances from key individuals over the last 2 years, League One would be a reality now. 

The slow yet avoidable car crash we’re witnessing has huge parallels to the last relegation, right down to the desperate cost cutting and listless leadership.  

People will point to unrealistic expectations, and I would agree that any expectations for yearly promotion battles are misplaced, but certain senior individuals at the club have to take a huge slice of the blame for stoking such expectations. 

Things need to change, and fast. 

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Fans have ever grumbled and moaned, but not as now.

I recall little negativity when we were in the top flight. 

With respect, that's you trying to remember what it was like more than 40 years ago v AD's thoughts at the time. His programme notes from that time tell a different story to your recollections.

Just now, Moments of Pleasure said:

With respect, that's you trying to remember what it was like more than 40 years ago v AD's thoughts at the time. His programme notes from that time tell a different story to your recollections.

I'll dig out my old programmes but not sure a programme has ever informed much, other than to show players dressed at prats making sausages at Bowyers.

I do recall Rix lobbing (Shaw?) at the East End from 35 yards in front of The Dolman. I recall nobody screaming at the keeper for his positioning. I recall everybody clapping & commenting on the quality of the skilled finish they'd just witnessed. 

That's the difference between then and now.

8 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Exactly!
Probably be a very different story if they’d  employed NP earlier and given him the budget that MA and LJ succeeded in pissing up the wall and leaving us in this state.

I’d hoped to see more improvement under NP, but in fairness to him, he’s slashed our wage bill by £millions and we’re still playing better than we ended last season, so I still see that as progress.

It amazes me that people can't see the amount of money we pissed up the wall in those years. I gave the example earlier of Walsh, Adelakun and Watkins. 3 players who cost the thick of end of 4? 5 million quid in transfer fees and wages. They produced diddly squat for this club.

Not to mention the flip flopping of strategy. We went down the foreign route with Duric, Hegeler, Lucic, Magnússon etc. Didn't work, bin them and try something else. 

NP has a massive rebuilding job to do. He's started by shipping out a lot of dead wood but there's a way to go yet. I'm hopeful that we can get 1 or 2 out and 2 or 3 in by the end of August. But strap in, it's going to be a bumpy ride. 

33 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

We haven’t won a game since March, at least set our team up for a draw, 5-3-2 or 5-4-1, play defensive away from home and go for wins at home 

Playing five at the back makes you no more defensive than playing 3 or 4 upfront makes you more attacking.

Itvis a simple game, but not that simple ?

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Brentford have a major advantage over us, they're in London so much easier to attract new players

Mate have you been to Blackpool?! They made it to the Premier League a few years ago. If they can attract players good enough to that shithole, then that really isn’t an excuse in a city like Bristol.

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

It amazes me that people can't see the amount of money we pissed up the wall in those years. I gave the example earlier of Walsh, Adelakun and Watkins. 3 players who cost the thick of end of 4? 5 million quid in transfer fees and wages. They produced diddly squat for this club.

Not to mention the flip flopping of strategy. We went down the foreign route with Duric, Hegeler, Lucic, Magnússon etc. Didn't work, bin them and try something else. 

NP has a massive rebuilding job to do. He's started by shipping out a lot of dead wood but there's a way to go yet. I'm hopeful that we can get 1 or 2 out and 2 or 3 in by the end of August. But strap in, it's going to be a bumpy ride. 

Really can’t disagree with any of that.  

The problem seems to be, whatever strategy we adopt, we make such a complete **** up of it, we can’t afford to give it time, so lurch in a totally different direction, but still get the same result

I can certainly see more chance of achieving something with this manager, some of our kids and the right experienced pros to guide and support them.

That obviously won’t bring quick enough results for some of the clueless tits who are coming out of the woodwork on this forum lately though!

Unfortunately there is a lot of very short sighted individuals not naming names on this forum who cannot see what is happening behind the scenes at the club.

There are also those who irrationally just dislike Pearson over the whole Simpson business and desperate to see him fail.

There are also those failing to see that this type of form and performances have been normal for the last 2/3 years. 

It will take a while but I have faith in NP and if that makes me wrong in doing so then so be it, but name me any guy better right now for the job? There wouldn't be many.

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of very short sighted individuals not naming names on this forum who cannot see what is happening behind the scenes at the club.

There are also those who irrationally just dislike Pearson over the whole Simpson business and desperate to see him fail.

There are also those failing to see that this type of form and performances have been normal for the last 2/3 years. 

It will take a while but I have faith in NP and if that makes me wrong in doing so then so be it, but name me any guy better right now for the job? There wouldn't be many.

Nor would many want it….no money to spend, unless you sell….and we don’t know how much of the funds will be allowed to be spent either.

Does Pearson get any credit for reducing the wage bill and amortisation - could’ve thrown his toys out the pram with the players he had to let go, or in fact not taken the job in the first place.  Two of the three players re-signed have all taken sizeable wage reductions too.

He’s approached the job from day 1 (short term contract) with great professionalism, prepared to put his “cock on the block” in telling it as it is, which might’ve cost him his chance of a longer term contract.  He did what was best for City.

Results have been disappointing, but with mitigating factors.  It’s not really his squad either, but he takes full responsibility.  He’s a leader, some won’t like that and will be moved on.

Of course results will need to improve, nobody is blind to that, but back to your opening gambit, who would want to come here that’s at his level or better?

4 hours ago, DJI said:

We all crave what Brentford have, we all look to the promised land that is the premier league. Unfortunately though unlike Brentford and others before then we seem help bent on destroying a rebuild before it even has chance. Based on the comments of some it would appear that we should change managers every time we lose a game. I recall watching from the East end in the 70s, I don't ever remember such negative comments when we lost. I would say maybe it's time to come of the forum as I am sure it does not represent the majority view. 

There are several on here who absolutely revel in things going wrong. They go missing when we win.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I see 'quick results' bandied about like confetti

No home win since January and no win, period since march is not wanting 'quick results' 

As others have alluded to it's S'OD all over agsin, at the present, we nearly went down again, Again with him in charge. 

Long term fans and others aren't asking for 'quick success'. They dont want a three or four peat and can see the signs. not blinded by a name, who us failing currently by EVERY Metric. 

A run of wins or decent results may help, right now though that looks miles off and NP needs to start changing or many others will want him sacked. 

Make no mistake, we were in a total mess by the time Dean Holden was sacked and I’d be amazed if anyone could have turned us round by the end of the season.

Pearson hasn’t had to do a few tweaks of the squad, this is a full-on rip it up and start again.  

There’s no say we’re going to start getting decent results from the off and frankly, anyone expecting a rapid turn around in fortunes in these circumstances is seriously kidding themselves. 

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We've not won a competitive game since 13th March and not won a home game since January 26th. It's little wonder there is a lot of negativity out there.

I don't think City fans are uniquely "moany" compared to fans of other clubs. Any fanbase would be sick to the back teeth with the months of mediocrity we've had.

We have to give Pearson much more time. No point appointing him in the first place if he gets sacked two games into his first full season!!!!

I'm both sceptical and pessimistic about how successfully he'll "rebuild" here, but let the guy show what he can do. Let him prove pessimists like me wrong. I'd be delighted!

100% agree in that we have to give Pearson as much time as possible. The club has been on a downward trend for quite sometime, and it’s now going to take a mammoth effort to rebuild. This season is all about survival and rebuilding. Having Pearson here in my opinion is the right person to do this. 

I just wish everyone gets behind and support Pearson and his staff and I’m sure the good days will return.

Football, and sport in general, goes in cycles of varying degrees. IMO we’re near the bottom of a 10-year cycle right now, the peak of which was from 2014-2017. The question is whether we’re yet to reach the bottom or not? It’s far too early to tell, but I suspect it’ll be three from us, Derby, Forest, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Preston.

Staying up this season is success for us. You have to go through turbulent times like these to enjoy the success when it comes.

45 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

100% agree in that we have to give Pearson as much time as possible. The club has been on a downward trend for quite sometime, and it’s now going to take a mammoth effort to rebuild. This season is all about survival and rebuilding. Having Pearson here in my opinion is the right person to do this. 

I just wish everyone gets behind and support Pearson and his staff and I’m sure the good days will return.

Would be easier if Pearson's teams played better and won now and again

Good morning. 

So, not naming names *wink*, but how well has Simpson done for us thus far?

Worth losing all the goodwill the things we've lost by signing him?

There were plenty of warnings that his legs had gone and worries about him playing regularly and that was 18 months before he signed for us.  It was brought up at the time. 

At present, for me, he's Ricky Foster level of useless for us. Though I've seen some peeps when looking on social media as being Nicky Hunt levels of awful. 

I've not seen any poster want NP to fail. See lots of long time posters, many of whom I disagree with lots on other stuff, all hitting the 'awooga' alarm button based on what they are seeing before their eyes.

You take note when lots of people start saying the same thing. We're a bit more Pro Pearson on here. Elsewhere it was last night constant 'Pearson Out' comments, pretty much everywhere. 

When posters here are producing long detailed, evidential posts about life under NP then there's issues. 

NP needs to start sorting them rather than talking about sorting them and seemingly doing nothing to some. . I cant see the fans as a wider base suffering much more of what is S'OD Mrk2 in more ways than one. 

Simpson has barely played any games.

Admit it - you were glad we lost yesterday just to drive your Anti Pearson agenda even more.

The fact on the thread about Pearson that you could not name a replacement for him says a lot, you just want him gone. I predicted a while back that we will have a slow start, I am confident he can turn it around and if i'm wrong then so be it, I have more faith in someone who has been at the top level as a player and Manager to turn us around in the long run than another inexperienced coach. 

This is going to take a season or 2 to implement. You forget under Holden we were being outplayed all over the pitch in February. We were a total shambles, never seen a more disjointed BCFC side.

The stats don't look good, but we cannot go down the Bristol Rovers route of hire and fire when you cannot suggest anyone who would do better, and after 2 games it would be madness.

You ignore the fact he came in with a depleted squad, the fact he had to release 10 players to free up some wages and still has players at the club on ridiculous money who don't want to be here. Our performances for the last 2 or 3 years have been below par and eventually it was going to come to this. 

If we sack Pearson and get in a Russell Martin type, or yes I'm going to say it a LJ type i'm probably just about done

Good morning. 

So, not naming names *wink*, but how well has Simpson done for us thus far?

Worth losing all the goodwill the things we've lost by signing him?

There were plenty of warnings that his legs had gone and worries about him playing regularly and that was 18 months before he signed for us.  It was brought up at the time. 

At present, for me, he's Ricky Foster level of useless for us. Though I've seen some peeps when looking on social media as being Nicky Hunt levels of awful. 

I've not seen any poster want NP to fail. See lots of long time posters, many of whom I disagree with lots on other stuff, all hitting the 'awooga' alarm button based on what they are seeing before their eyes.

You take note when lots of people start saying the same thing. We're a bit more Pro Pearson on here. Elsewhere it was last night constant 'Pearson Out' comments, pretty much everywhere. 

When posters here are producing long detailed, evidential posts about life under NP then there's issues. 

NP needs to start sorting them rather than talking about sorting them and seemingly doing nothing to some. . I cant see the fans as a wider base suffering much more of what is S'OD Mrk2 in more ways than one. 

I disagree with your post, respect that you have a valid opinion, but utterly disagree with it. 

People seem very keen to blame everyone else for NPs failings currently 

We're at a win percentage of 11 percent, we've not won at home since January and at all since March. 

In one of the threads I can't remember which, we've had NPs failures to sort out basics discussed, and some have started questioning the fitness claim too. 

Point is, that right now it's not working, at all. On here, perhaps because it's longer form, posters seem keen to blame everyone else for a manager who's utterly failing for us at the moment. How many interviews has he said it is 'my team I take responsibility' and we've then proceeded to do nothing with that. 

I'll give benefit of doubt, just, at the moment. Tuesday could well be a tipping point and 2 in 18 wouldn't leave many options moving forward. 

The biggest problem I see is there are far too many people falling into the same trap as they did with LJ.  That point being, only looking at the results and taking no account of performances.

How many times did we hear ‘but we’re only xx points off the play off’ after another abject performance and ignoring the fact that the club were going in one direction only and chances of making the play off’s were nil.

Last season was a total car crash and never  in my 50+ years of following City have I seen such a largely disinterested and bordering on fraudulent bunch of players wearing a City shirt on the pitch at the same time, so keeping banging on about his record here last season is pointless.  Pep wouldn’t have got a tune oug of that lot.

This season is what really counts.  Yes, by all accounts the FGR game was poor, but even that we’d have won, without their 96th minute equaliser.  We are just 2 matches into the new League season and dropped 2 points in our opening match to a last minute goal and already there are people with the knives out. Unbelievable after the amount of slack given to LJ with some of the dross he dished up.

I thought we’d got away from the divided fanbase when LJ went  and there was such positivity about the potential appointment of NP.  

It seems that sadly, we now find ourselves with an LJ ‘marmite manager’ mk2.  This current version of marmite manager has a massive rebuild job he has to do, with very little funds available to actually carry this out.

Unfortunately, Nigel Pearson isn’t being judged on the the noticeable improvement improvement in performances he’s managed on the pitch, even with having to put a lot of trust in a number of young, inexperienced players.  In normal circumstances in the past, the fans would have united in support over a rocky period for the club.  

Maybe it’s a sign of the times that this time, the current manager appears to be getting judged more by a player he employs, rather than what he’s trying to do to overcome years of mismanagement at this club.

Archived