IGNORED

Is it time to admit the kids are not good enough

Better Red

I posted last year and said the kids we have just are not good enough for this level.

Got shot down but has anything changed - No not for me.

Not one of them is doing anything in the first team. 

It’s time we had a good look at the academy and maybe even follow the Brentford model and scrap it and just have a B Tram.

Of the current crop the best we have is Seymenyo who can’t score for toffee.
Edwards I like but no where near the first team.

Then -

Scott will never score a goal if he plays 20 games. Needs 2 year on loan in L1 then we will see.

Bakinson no manger likes him due to work rate 

HNM again another who will never score a goal for the club

O’Leary never will make the first team

Bell - to light weight.

Pearson - where did he go?

The list goes on.

Will any of them actually become a first team player for us?

Before every jumps in. Think about we can not win a game in the last 12 months. We had to clear out so much crap and deadwood. They have all had some game time and none them are really what I would call a first team player (Scott won’t start Friday and won’t see him start again)

It’s time to take a look at these kids and think why we only produce players for L1/2 standard.

The days of Bryan,Booby and Kelly look like they are a long way off at the moment.

I know this won’t be popular as everyone loves the kids but I just don’t see it. They are as much of the problem as the recruitment team we have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Just now, Monkeh said:

No,

Remember people wanted to sell Reid for 300k because he will never be good enough

Or wondering why Bryan is in the squad it must be because he's bristolian

It's a stupid ******* post full stop,

But probably right.....

For the record I thought bobby looked like a talent and someone who could play at a higher level. Also liked Bryan.

Current crop at best a load of L1 players which might be helpful next year if we don’t sort out this mess.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Better Red said:

I posted last year and said the kids we have just are not good enough for this level.

It’s time we had a good look at the academy and maybe even follow the Brentford model and scrap it and just have a B Tram.

Then -

Scott will never score a goal if he plays 20 games. Needs 2 year on loan in L1 then we will see.

Bell - to light weight.

The list goes on.

Before every jumps in. Think about we can not win a game in the last 12 months. We had to clear out so much crap and deadwood. They have all had some game time and none them are really what I would call a first team player (Scott won’t start Friday and won’t see him start again)

It’s time to take a look at these kids and think why we only produce players for L1/2 standard.

The days of Bryan,Booby and Kelly look like they are a long way off at the moment.

I know this won’t be popular as everyone loves the kids but I just don’t see it. They are as much of the problem as the recruitment team we have. 

From what I have seen, it’s not that they aren’t good enough, it’s that they simply lack the experience and guidance.

Now, if some of the more senior pros stood up and started putting in more solid performances, getting results and leading by example, the younger players would have an opportunity to flourish.

Unfortunately, they have been thrown into a team that has a losing mentality and soft under-belly.

• Like 4

Personally I feel alright about out kids, as for once they are actually kids. They're 20 or under for the most part and looking decent - not fully fledged Championship players and maybe never will be, but that's fine by me.

My issue is with the Vyner / Moore / O'Dowdas (examples, not saying I dislike them) of the squad who get treated like kids, but actually have a decent amount of experience and are well into their 20s.

I'd rather keep and gamble on a Scott or Massengo for the next few years than one of those three.

• Like 19

15 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Then -

Bell - to light weight.

The list goes on.

I agreed with you a year ago and I agree with you now. None of them are currently good enough which begs the question is the academy a worthwhile drain on resources?

19 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Then -

Bell - to light weight.

The list goes on.

Bobby Reid was 24 and a half before he showed what he can really do.

Bryan had a couple of loans out before he showed his quality.

Players like Kelly only come around every 10 years or so usually. I think Scott is the next one with that potential.

Now’s not the time to criticise the young players - it’s the seasoned pros who should be performing better.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bobby Reid was 24 and a half before he showed what he can really do.

Bryan had a couple of loans out before he showed his quality.

Players like Kelly only come around every 10 years or so usually. I think Scott is the next one with that potential.

Now’s not the time to criticise the young players - it’s the seasoned pros who should be performing better.

Unfortunately we live in ‘must have it now’ times. A lot of fans showing that 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve actually no idea how much it costs to run. You saying it’s about £5m per year or so as it’s bought in £30m over the last 5-6 seasons I think?   Thought it would have been less than that. 

Believe it is between £2-3m as that is around the amount we offset in FFP for Academy costs.  So it’s doing alright in my book.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Personally I feel alright about out kids, as for once they are actually kids. They're 20 or under for the most part and looking decent - not fully fledged Championship players and maybe never will be, but that's fine by me.

My issue is with the Vyner / Moore / O'Dowdas (examples, not saying I dislike them) of the squad who get treated like kids, but actually have a decent amount of experience and are well into their 20s.

I'd rather keep and gamble on a Scott or Massengo for the next few years than one of those three.

This is the point for me. Scott, Bell, Pearson, Conway have played less than 30 games between them and only a handful of starts. Bryan, Reid et al took a season or two to really kick on. On the other hand Moore, Vyner, COD have not kicked on despite the amount of games they’ve had now. 

I think a couple of them could use loans in the same way Bryan and Reid did, but I think Scott has enough to be in the squad, as does Janneh, they can make impacts either off the bench or as starters playing 60-70. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Better Red said:

Then -

Bell - to light weight.

The list goes on.

I've never been a fan of under 23's as they spend too long playing meaningless games when they would better off dropping down the leagues accordingly to get first team football.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

This is the point for me. Scott, Bell, Pearson, Conway have played less than 30 games between them and only a handful of starts. Bryan, Reid et al took a season or two to really kick on. On the other hand Moore, Vyner, COD have not kicked on despite the amount of games they’ve had now. 

I think a couple of them could use loans in the same way Bryan and Reid did, but I think Scott has enough to be in the squad, as does Janneh, they can make impacts either off the bench or as starters playing 60-70. 

I agree.

When it comes to players: Cheap. Young. Ready.

Pick 2 of the three - that's where we're at currently, as are most clubs unless you have ridiculous sums to spend.

We have to accept that "cheap" for us is relatively fixed currently, so if you want young players they're almost certainly not going to be ready.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Good point. Setting them to ignore right now. Christ knows why people bite in detail.

Lets all be grown ups.

I have ignored them why don’t you...

Great let’s all ignore each other when we don’t agree...

Just for the record I won’t be putting you on ignore  or anyone else for that matter - why because I am a grown up and also I both welcome and enjoy other people’s opinions  and debate.

Go on give it a go....

Sorry if you can’t read this as you have me on ignore or have been sent to bed... 

I think the OP may have been possessed by the spirit of the departed Ashton Yate.

What needs to be understood is that the academy/youth system for years was not fit for purpose. You might see Matt Bryant, Aaron Brown or Joe Bryan come through but it was at best 1 player a year making it to not just our first team, but league football generally. And that was when we were a lower level and there was more chance to get through as there were less overseas players.

Where we are now is we’re getting rid of players like Nurse, who move to league one. That says we’re bringing through good players. And it’s only just getting to that point, because the academy has developed. So we have Scott, Conway, Towler, Bell etc (Massengo and Bakinson were bought as non academy players). And behind that, we have Low, Henry, Benarous, Francois. Not all will make it - it’s the fifth hardest league in the world FFS. But right now, we have players with chances.

And to make this comment after two games when most of the kids haven’t been playing is a touch bizarre.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2