IGNORED

Marauding CBs - Perhaps one of a small number of positives today?

Davefevs

Atkinson particularly: that certainly was a positive, although slightly cancelled out by the fact that he was less effective at what he’s supposed to do!

Other positives: Scott again, Janneh, although both still inevitably look inexperienced at times. We came back from behind. 

Apart from that - I could hear the tannoy, and not a single hold up or closed motorway on the return journey!

31 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Atkinson particularly: that certainly was a positive, although slightly cancelled out by the fact that he was less effective at what he’s supposed to do!

Other positives: Scott again, Janneh, although both still inevitably look inexperienced at times. We came back from behind. 

Apart from that - I could hear the tannoy, and not a single hold up or closed motorway on the return journey!

Thought Scott was bullied out of it today, caught in possession a bit.

Agree about defenders defending though.  Just attack the ball first of all.

Atkinson was excellent I thought, along with Baker. Just hope he can stay fit.. 

As dire as the first half was, I commend Pearson for realising how shit we were, and making the necessary changes early in the 2nd half. Wells coming on made such a difference. I still don't think Martin is the answer, whatever the question is. 

Scott looks great, just didn't have enough support at times. Wiemann did lots of running around, but not a lot else, along with Palmer, which I'm sad to say, as somewhere in there, there's a decent player, but just don't see it enough. 

Too often, we had no one wanting to make runs, or get their head down and run at them. Janneh brings something new, with pace, and with some creativity ALONG THE GROUND, we could cause problems, but far too often we played it over the top. Not convinced on his first touch either, but he gives us a different option. 

Thought Pearson spoke sense in his interview after, and sadly, seeing some of the fans reaction on here and social media, I'm pretty embarrassed to be honest. I've spent the best part of 9 hours today travelling in the car to watch us today, and come away not as annoyed as I thought I would be. Why? Because I know this will take time. Pearson needs time. Johnson got years, holden got a job in the first place when he shouldn't. Pearson needs time. He absolutely should be given it, and it's crazy to me that it even needs to be mentioned, I thought our fans are smarter than that and realise this shit we've been left with after Ashton and Johnson/Holden. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Scott was bullied out of it today, caught in possession a bit.

Agree about defenders defending though.  Just attack the ball first of all.

Yes, agree about Scott, although I thought that was his inexperience. He was trying to win his usual high number of free kicks and it wasn’t coming off today, but he just didn’t seem to change it. 

Never saw the game today, but work colleague who is a Boro fan messaged me saying our no5 was excellent with the ball at his feet. But as a CB he can’t defend and looked lost, said he won nothing in the air.

Said we didn’t really deserve anything but had a spell 2nd half when we were on top and if we were more clinical in front of goal maybe would of snuck the win.

29 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

The Baker / Atkinson combination- does one play as the primary ball winner and the other as the ball player. I watched the game online today and can’t remember clearly how the partnership worked? 

Opening 20, they played as Baker (R) and Atkinson (L), but Ikpeazu played on Atkinson and outmuscled him a bit.  They hit a lot of balls that side.  Atkinson is ok on the air (at 6’4” he ought to be), but he had a tough start against a right old unit in Ikpeazu.

So they swapped, although at times for keeper kicks, Baker marked Ikpeazu.

Second half, it was mainly Atkinson (R), Baker (L).

2 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

And why are our own corners massive floaters to the back post still. 
Whip it in ffs 

Depends what you’re trying to do, some teams recognise how little you score from a direct ball in, however ball to the back post and then a headed ball across goal can create a better opportunity. Haven’t watched our corners but obviouly relies on quality of ball in and heading ability at back post.

Archived