IGNORED

FBC Podcast: Play Kalas .... at right back

headhunter

This is a recording of last night's live podcast:

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-k4xjv-10b4ccc  [also on Spotify & Google Podcasts]

NP was right in saying carelessness was the main factor in City's defeat at the Riverside but we say you must play your best players which in turn means Kalas must start.

Ian, Lezz, Mark & Headhunter discuss the match action and suggest Kalas should play at right back if NP won't switch to 3-5-2 to accommodate him. It's worth remembering that Kalas played at right back when on loan from Chelsea at both Boro & Fulham in teams that secured promotion to the Premier League.

We try not to join the anti-Pearson debate that is raging on OTIB although we aren't expecting much of a points return from the next two games.

I'm of the view that Weimann had another "nothing" game yesterday - play him centrally with Wells. Our own Watkins / Mbeumo? The big man in the middle approach [certainly with Martin] isn't working as there is no one to cross the ball - O'Dowda hasn't delivered in this aspect [any?!} of his game for 5 years. Shame Eliasson chose to leave.

Watching MOTD is like watching a different game to what we've been served up for 3.5 years - power, pace, intensity plus skill.

10 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Any post saying play square pegs in round holes

How is playing Kalas a square peg in a round hole when you look at his record with Boro & Fulham.

Sadly Vyner is not a Championship Right-back, Central Defender nor midfielder. Good utility player as a sub but not in my starting X1

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

How is playing Kalas a square peg in a round hole when you look at his record with Boro & Fulham.

Sadly Vyner is not a Championship Right-back, Central Defender nor midfielder. Good utility player as a sub but not in my starting X1

He is a centre back Thats his best position So play him there

Any other position for him is putting the wrong peg in the wrong hole

Just as it is with Wells

He is a centre forward Playing him anywhere bar up for would be wrong

7 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

He is a centre back Thats his best position So play him there

Yes, that is his best position but we have Baker & Atkinson as a pair that seems NP's first choice. Kalas is better than either Simpson or Vyner - 36 appearances in that role in Fulham's 2017/18 promotion team

4 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Yes, that is his best position but we have Baker & Atkinson as a pair that seems NP's first choice. Kalas is better than either Simpson or Vyner - 36 appearances in that role in Fulham's 2017/18 promotion team

Im no manager and unlike many on here I wouldnt tell NP how to do his job

But if my 3 best defenders were all centre backs I would change the formation to fit them all in ( 3-5-2)

only problem with that is Do we have 2 players who can good a good job at wing back

Just now, Maltshoveller said:

Im no manager and unlike many on here I wouldnt tell NP how to do his job

But if my 3 best defenders were all centre backs I would change the formation to fit them all in ( 3-5-2)

only problem with that is Do we have 2 players who can good a good job at wing back

Would I be harsh in calling NP the Ostrich for rigid adherence to HIS apparently preferred system.

We have no decent wing backs

While the transfer window is open, we need to recruit a young pacy right back from the Premier League..........C'mon there has to be a few!   We can then play either Pring/Dasilva left side.  We are then able to play 5 at the back.........New RB - Kalas - Atkinson - Baker - Pring/DaSilva .    So come on recruitment team, get your act together, as the right signing could change our dynamic?  IMHO.    ......PS Tariq Lamptey would do!!  (Before anyone responds....Joke!)

I think there is a misinterpretation of the team that takes the field and first choice.  To paraphrase Nige’s comments:

• players in possession of the shirt need to prove they are worthy of keeping it
  • players not playing need to prove they are worthy of taking it, and then keeping it.

I don’t think Baker and Atkinson are necessarily first choice, just that over pre-season, with Kalas away, they got the chance to form a pairing, which Nige took into the first games.  Kalas has to wait for his chance.  He might play him RB on Tuesday….I don’t personally think that’s a square peg in round hole per se, but need to be cognisant he hasn’t played there with the rest of this team.

Re Vyner, he was fine last week, poor yesterday, albeit Weimann gave him little support.  So do we cast the die as soon as any of our players, who we unconsciously biased about, don’t rate has 1 bad game or do we wait to see if it’s a trend appearing.

Far too many people thought King was an awful signing, job for the boys.  Early days, admittedly, but he’s been pretty decent so far.  Do the critics ever come out and admit they jumped they gun?  No, never, just wait for one bad/poor game and say “told you”.  All players have bad games, but you have to judge over a series of games.

Same with Weimann….ok last week….crap yesterday, been generally good in his time here (debatable in some eyes).  Does he also get a bit of leeway coming back from ACL to have a bad game.

There is too much desperation to pick the “ultimate eleven” and “system”.  At the end of the day we have a lot of similar ability players, who on their day can play good stuff, and on another play poorly.  It’s about all of them working hard on the training ground to improve their cohesiveness so that whoever is picked, they can perform. Because there is no best eleven or magic system, nor can you guarantee that your best eleven even gets in the pitch, e.g. injuries.

Ian Gay must think Peter Crouch and Jan Koller are the best footballers ever. Sorry I used to be a big fan of this podcast but the obsession of size and height is totally delusional and not relevant. The guy puts me right off this pod.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Ian Gay must think Peter Crouch and Jan Koller are the best footballers ever. Sorry I used to be a big fan of this podcast but the obsession of size and height is totally delusional and not relevant. The guy puts me right off this pod.

Jan Koller was quality and Peter Crouch wasn't in the same league in my opinion. 

We have 16 days until the transfer window closes, by that time Kalas & Nagy might well be elsewhere.

For me you pick your best players in their favoured position & work around that.

Kalas is our best CB, so until he leaves he plays alongside one of the other two.

We have 2 natural RBs (Vyner had almost a season there at Rotherham) so Pearson picks between those two.

This height stuff is nonsense, we need to do far better at stopping crosses then worry about who defends them, neither Kalas or Bailey Wright are giants but both were effective at doing so.

Reading & Swansea up next, neither of whom are going to sling it repeatedly in the box anyway.

46 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Sorry I used to be a big fan of this podcast but the obsession of size and height is totally delusional and not relevant.

Agree - I'm glad it's not just me! I've noticed a number of our fans seem absolutely obsessed with height, size and physicality. Of course those attributes have their place, but it's crazy to see people suggesting we change formation, play players out of position, and drop key players, purely to "GET MORE HEIGHT IN THE BLOODY TEAM!" ?‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Agree - I'm glad it's not just me! I've noticed a number of our fans seem absolutely obsessed with height, size and physicality. Of course those attributes have their place, but it's crazy to see people suggesting we change formation, play players out of position, and drop key players, purely to "GET MORE HEIGHT IN THE BLOODY TEAM!" ?‍♂️

The best club side I have seen in my lifetime were Barcelona between 2008 - 2012. Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Villa, Sanchez, Pedro. All well under 6ft. The obsession with height is a total myth and depends how you want to play. You can be short but strong, you can be tall and weak, it isn't important in todays game.

You work around your physicality and size. Louis Carey was far from a giant as a Centre half but what he did have was pace and good positioning. Tim Cahill all of 5"10 is one of the best goalscorers with his head of all time. 

English football has thankfully moved on from the dark days of rejecting players based on height and size.

What our side actually reallyyyy lacks is out and out raw pace and speed in every way. (Thought, decision making and raw pace - dynamism)

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Agree and Lez.  Absolute troll on this forum. 

I wouldn’t mind Gay as much if he wasn’t usually wrong.  Could stomach him more if he was thought provoking but he’s not 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree and Lez.  Absolute troll on this forum. 

I wouldn’t mind Gay as much if he wasn’t usually wrong.  Could stomach him more if he was thought provoking but he’s not 

Just stuck in the 1980s for me.. Reactionaries

Archived