IGNORED

Questionable goalkeepers

cswhitlock

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Isn’t being a good shot stopper like the minimum requirement for a keeper? Has any keeper ever been called a poor shot stopper? If so, he’s probably not playing much

No.

Many those considered top keepers weren't great shot stoppers. Rather they controlled their box, the line in front of them, such few shots ever got to them....

Lest not forget in modern times City have only ever had one truly great keeper  and most on this forum will never have seen him play. He also coincided with some of the worst results in our history.

The point I made was if you don't like Bentley you're being short-sighted, he has many decent attributes. But if we want to be a competitive side we need a decent back line plus a keeper who owns their box and commands those in front of them. They're a unit, not mutually exclusive. Sadly, if you've watched City only for the past 15 years you won't understand that distinction.

49 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Do you realize how big a goalkeepers box is, its bloody enormous, its impossible to command as much as I'm sure most keepers would like, however I think the issue is more about him organizing his defenders and sorting crosses and set pieces. 

18 yards by 44 yards, or has it changed?

The important component of which was 6 yards by 8 yards, or has that also changed?

I'd start with Bentley owning the latter, rather than flapping and punching. Good keepers own the whole of their territory, knowing that if the go for the ball the ref will always protect them.

Bentley follows through when 3 feet off his his line.

Archived