IGNORED

Might we have to accept relegation this season if it's a consequence of Pearson's longer 3 year rebuild?

Top Robin

53 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

Grammar police here. It cannot be a consequence of the three year plan if it happens this season. A side effect maybe, but a consequence has to occur after the event in question.

Sorry to pick you up on this officer but the highlighted offence was not grammar related. It was a vocabulary issue.

At ease.

This is the sort of post that drives the vast majority of fans away from OTIB. Two league games out of 46 and most of us want to be positive and support Bristol City with the hope that brings. I know NP is yet to prove himself at BS3 (his record is appalling) and that the team wont 'shake down' until some time after this window closes and we know what players are at our disposal.

It will be the board/owners decision when he thinks we can stay up or go up with Pearson. He wont risk relegation as League 1 is so hard to get out of and we dont find 'magic teams like those Steve C built more than once every 20-30 years.

Give it time, give the team support, try not to drive the fans away and keep the faith

COYRs

48 minutes ago, Redpool said:

It would be disaster. However, reading some of the comments here and on other topics highlighting the squad is more than good enough for top half/mid table. I would whole heartedly disagree. This is a relegation squad in my view

As I said before the Blackpool game. I’d take 21st right now. It’s going to be a very long season for Bristol City in my view. 

IMHO we're not a top half squad as things stand, but I certainly don't think that we're a relegation squad on a player-by-player basis. If we consider a starting 11 of:

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Atkinson/Baker Dasilva

James King/HNM

Weimann Palmer Semenyo/O'Dowda

Wells

I think the majority of that starting 11 are (somewhat comfortably) midtable standard, and wouldn't look out of place playing for any given midtable championship club.

We could do with a few additions, but even without them we're not one of the 3 worst squads in the league in my view.

For me, our limiting factors are currently centred around cohesion, defensive organisation, patterns of play etc. rather than the pure ability of the squad

I fully agree with the OP.  Sometimes relegation can be the best thing to happen to a club, as our G*s neighbors often told us when they briefly visited Division 5. Having taken the opportunity to regroup, appoint a popular manager to bring long~term stability to the Mem whilst journeying towards the new stadium, it has clearly worked for them.  It’s only a matter of time before they whoosh past us on their relentless climb to the Prem.  I’m envious that they took that route Tbf.  Makes sense to me, mind.

Elaine, can you bring me another can, please?

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Hope not! 

The question is normally is your glass half full or half empty? but in your case I don't even think you ever got a glass - talk of relegation after 2 games only yielding 1 point is pathetic beyond belief.

Will say, you must like your prunes as you are very regular with these boring negative posts against NP

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That's what we did last season, to do this season ?

We didn't stay up so to speak last season. We accidentally won some games early on and that was enough to finish above 2 league 1 sides and a couple of basket cases. It wasn't fighting to avoid relegation.  I'd almost prefer to flirt with it for a bit this year, climb out of it and then go from there. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yesterday was a massive improvement on many losses in recent seasons!

Thought 3 of the back 4 and the 2 centre mids were fine. I think they will stay fairly consistent too. Add a bit more quality in attacking areas and we should be fine imo.

Really need O'Dowda and Semenyo back, but also need a bit of pace to go with them too. Joe Williams should be an improvement on king, but there is always the option to play all 3.

I expect more business before the end of the window.

King has scored and assisted our 2 league goals. He's not the problem nor is James. 

I think we are a middle eight side on paper.  But we need to break to winless run and change fortunes at home.

We should not be thinking about relegation, but it might always feel we are looking over our shoulders.

Far to early to be thinking about this, the league will play out by end of Sept when most teams will have have played a mix of teams in the table.

Yesterday we were poor, Boro deserved to win, but they weren’t much better.  They looked all over the place in the second half when we actually string it together.  We created 10 chances playing poorly.  Yep, we only got two on target.

3AE1C4C9-EDDF-4F5F-86A5-DF6F64EDD551.thumb.jpeg.065035583dadc6dea203a869482c0c7c.jpeg

That 15-20 minute spell, Weimann had a good chance blocked (not counted as on target), Palmer should’ve got his chance on target, King scored, Wells hits a free kick into the wall, Martin got a 8 yard header half blocked.  4 of those chances were on target, but only 1 counted as such.

Wells shot on 76 mins that counted as on target wasn’t any better than 3 of Boro’s that were counted as on target….all powder-puff.

Lots of room for improvement, but we were far from outplayed yesterday.  Boro a team far more familiar with their system.

Nige got it right, need to be more careful with the ball and move it quicker.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. Been impressed with both of them. And Williams is a very good midfielder when he's back 100%, if he ever is!

Would like to see Williams on RM when King and James play.  Played there in the past.  Obviously want to see him central….but if we go back to Pack, Smith and Brownhill, only 2 could play CM at the same time, so when Pack and Smith, Brownhill played right.  I could see Williams doing that.

It is too early to think about the possibility of relegation……but we have to heed the warning signs. We are currently conceding sloppy goals and are unable to see out games. And that’s on the back of a horrendous run of form last season, with confidence still fragile. 

Relegation would be awful, no way is that acceptable. 

We have the players to finish mid table, but we need to get some wins, even just to build some confidence. 

I didn’t see the FGR or Middlesbrough games, but against Blackpool we seemed more organised, especially in our press,  and didn’t let them have the ball at will in their half like we have against teams in the past. Our lack of attacking threat was a concern. But that’s just one game. Let’s see how things are in another 10 games. 

5 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Why, you should have beaten Blackpool, played a second team at FGR and narrowly lost away at a hard place for any team to get anything. Assess the situation after 10 league games to see how the season is shaping up.

You have no idea how hard this is for me to say, so here goes……..I agree with a Swindon fan! ? ? 

Archived