IGNORED

Might we have to accept relegation this season if it's a consequence of Pearson's longer 3 year rebuild?

Top Robin

10 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

God give it up with the Johnson mess ?? you are obsessed 

Did he sleep with your mrs or something?

No, he simply f*cked the club I love and have supported these past 6 decades. 

To do as you otherwise suggest he'd need a stepladder and supply of testosterone, neither of which he's ever given the impression of owning.

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

2 games in. I am really demanding, and I have been far from happy with what has gone on at BCFC these last 5 years. Really unhappy. But that is another story. But fans have to recognise that right now, when the financial results of last year come through, that we are in a a massive situation. This is a time when we need to give our squad maximum support. There is no magic wand, NP may not be the solution long term even, but he does know his stuff and is far from incompetent, he has done things we are looking to emulate. But right now, no money, a financial crisis, and results hard to come by, we have no choice, we have to ride this rough moment and we have to support the team. You can fire NP , go on. But who on earth do you think will want this gig ? That fans are creating this negative vibe after 2 games is astonishing, even in my demanding eyes. Just what are people expecting ? That we have someone with the big danglers willing to play a 17 year old, look to create a true squad culture and look to create a proper structure of a Championship and maybe Prem club (not a load of L1 dreamers) is bold but exciting. I have no idea if NP is the best person for the job, but after the last recruitment cycles where holden and Lee j were seen as the right choice, I know where I would put my money. Too many venting frustrations but not realising the reality of where we are right now. There is no magic wand. We are trying to relaunch from the mismanagement of the last years. 

Time to be brave and time to get behind our club. 

Great to see that common sense is still alive in some people, thankyou bw.

7 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Time to be brave and time to get behind our club. 

Could make a big difference.

Confidence is low.  It doesn’t take much for that to change.  In fairness I think a lot of fans who go to games aren’t generally negative, think it’s more far to easy to vent negatively on a forum….often with little rationale. Of course we all have our subjectivity / opinions, but I read and hear (on pods and BBCRB) the same ingrained opinion irrespective of what goes on, on the pitch.

”We don’t get enough crosses in”.

2 games in we are 11/24 for crosses in the champ, 10/24 for successful crosses, not great, but not bad.  I know stats aren’t the be all and end all, but neither is ingrained negativity / preconceived thoughts. 

8/20 shots have been headers, 8 headers is 4th best in the Champ.

Neither of the above paras are meant to say that I am right and the person who said it is wrong….but if they said we don’t get enough crosses in from within the lines of the penalty area, or have some context, you can have a reasonable discussion.

There’s some good stuff on OTIB, some very good posters, on a wide range of subjects, but it’s hard work at times!

We're City fans, we've been through far worse that this. Well, those of us of an age certainly have.

Just back the team, noisily, and stop bleating like bitches!

No, I haven't got a ticket for Reading as I'm oop North all week. Love to be there though.

CTID isn't it? Certainly is for most of us anyway! 

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We're City fans, we've been through far worse that this. Well, those of us of an age certainly have.

Just back the team, noisily, and stop bleating like bitches!

No, I haven't got a ticket for Reading as I'm oop North all week. Love to be there though.

CTID isn't it? Certainly is for most of us anyway! 

Some supporters need to live in the moment take a step back and realise what a good position you're in compared to a lot of teams. Two or three wins on the bounce and everything changes 

What doesn't help is watching MOTD and seeing the level of exciting football, attacking with energy. We are a million miles away from that. A few years ago it felt like we were close to getting there. Not easy to settle for what feels like a massive step backwards. If anyone can sort this though I think it might just be Nige. We need to suck it up for now and be patient.

Why would you trust him to rebuild the team if he oversaw relegation this season? His record is dreadful enough already. More of it for the next nine months would be a joke. 
Some managers actually go to clubs and get them organised, find some solutions with limited resources and work out ways to stop them being a soft touch. 

12 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Why would you trust him to rebuild the team if he oversaw relegation this season? His record is dreadful enough already. More of it for the next nine months would be a joke. 
Some managers actually go to clubs and get them organised, find some solutions with limited resources and work out ways to stop them being a soft touch. 

Let's wait a while. He's done it before, that's why I think he could. Relegation would be failure but it is way too early to say that is a likely scenario. Maybe by xmas Nige will have done exactly this for us. Give him a chance before sticking the boot in.

10 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Why, you should have beaten Blackpool, played a second team at FGR and narrowly lost away at a hard place for any team to get anything. Assess the situation after 10 league games to see how the season is shaping up.

You’re right of course that three games in is far too early to panic. Unfortunately though we also have to look at the two previous seasons where we have been steadily on the wane. It does feel a bit ominous.

If Pearson takes us down he wouldn’t be around to rebuild so I think the premise of this thread is flawed.

Mainthing is to avoid relegation. Last season after Christmas was a mess. It is what it is and its only to accept the situation. Our play lack the most and think COD should be the savour ring the alarm bells. Think we are the only team Playing without an naturel winger. Im behind the team despite manager. NP no karisma but really hope he can make it. Two wins of 17 games shows that we have real problems. LJ, Holden, Ashton, signings, its all history. We have to start winning again, simple. Why not start tonight COYR!!!

10 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Let's wait a while. He's done it before, that's why I think he could. Relegation would be failure but it is way too early to say that is a likely scenario. Maybe by xmas Nige will have done exactly this for us. Give him a chance before sticking the boot in.

I’m not saying it is ‘likely’, although I’m not ruling it out.  Nor am I ‘sticking the boot in’. I don’t think he should be sacked but his time here has been characterised by poor results, and the side being a soft touch. I don’t think anyone  could argue with that. 

My point is: if that continues throughout the season and we go down, he should not be here next season.

If we get relegated then what little faith I have in our club to make the right decisions on driving us forward will evaporate along with my respect for Nigel Pearson. 

However, as dismal as things seem at the moment, as has been pointed out before; we are only 2 games into the season - there is time (for now) to fix things - and I can't see Nigel Pearson being prepared to add a relegation to his CV. 

18 hours ago, Lew-T said:

We simply cannot afford relegation. 

Indications at this point are not too positive

Our squad is one of the worst in the league with too many seeing out their career in comfort

No pace and no goal threat

Squad don't look up for the fight. The new arrivals have done nothing to improve this aspect

Coach who is rude to reporters and prefers the comfort of the stand to the pressure of the bench

Something very big has to happen soon if we are to enjoy a mid table season

NP is tasked with the very tough job of initially stabilising the club, and then moving City forward.

As much as I support him, stabilisation by it's very nature cannot include relegation, which would be seen as a failure - both by us and NP himself.

Realists among us are very aware that lower mid table is probably the best we can hope for this season and will be content if we remain in the Championship while showing real promise for future improvement.

NP's over riding priority this season must be to ensure City are not relegated, first and foremost he must achieve that by whatever means.

If he can't do that, there's not a chance he would stay on to manage City in L1 imo., even if the club wanted him to, which is very unlikely.

Good luck to him - he's taken on one a hell of a job, but he's here because both he and (most of) us believe he can indeed stabilise the club while putting in the building blocks to ensure Bristol City F.C. is a stronger Championship club moving forward.

He knows the score, and that relegation while rebuilding would be absolutely unacceptable - fortunately I remain confident we have the right man for the job and it will not come to that.

12 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

No, he simply f*cked the club I love and have supported these past 6 decades. 

To do as you otherwise suggest he'd need a stepladder and supply of testosterone, neither of which he's ever given the impression of owning.

It’s weird and personal comments like this which are the reason people see the critique LJ gets as going a bit far. No problem with criticising his decision making or transfer policy as manager - but I’ve never understood the need for comments like that.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s weird and personal comments like this which are the reason people see the critique LJ gets as going a bit far. No problem with criticising his decision making or transfer policy as manager - but I’ve never understood the need for comments like that.

Why not quote the whole post to which I responded, the one where it was suggested he'd had relations with my wife? That not weird or personal enough for you?

25 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Why not quote the whole post to which I responded, the one where it was suggested he'd had relations with my wife? That not weird or personal enough for you?

It was a strange comment also. But it’s a comment in isolation rather than years of strange and personal comments re: Johnson.

23 hours ago, Sniper said:

It's far too early to be talking about relegation, but if things do get a bit iffy then how much is relegation going to cost the club?

Is it better to get some players in and sod FFP and take the fine? I personally have no idea what that fine would be though?

Points, Embargo- weird mix of soft embargo added in while investigating- not a good idea, though I'm confused as to a few things such as how Reading seem to have swerved being charged so far.

As to the OP, no- no no no.

Despite having headroom to gamble somewhat this season- and when I say gamble this season, I mean a case of roll the dice and go up this season and no later, otherwise we're in big trouble- we're taking a longer view it seems in some ways, but to suddenly say bottom 3, no I don't think so. Bottom 3rd? Quite possible, relegation? Nope.

I don't see our squad as being that bad though definitely some weaknesses and some bad ones- unbalanced in places, others we aren't getting the best out of. A fit and match fit Williams and Semenyo would help matters. O'Dowda has his uses in wide areas but Palmer, what kinda future does he have generally?

Kalas and Nagy- think they're good players but if we had to sell them, would hope we reinvest in some good loanees- I'd rotate between Wells and Martin depending on variables, they both have their uses but both are over 30 so have to be handled with care.

Our squad is quite thin and I worry about the number of younger players in it this season. I also worry about Simpson at RB and Vyner by no means is it his main position, might take a while.

As for relegation though, I don't see it.

One big caveat I forgot to add- injuries. If the injury situation goes south badly again then yes we would be in trouble- but then that goes for most clubs in most divisions.

**** me, this forum generates an odd psychosis sometimes

I'd be shocked at us being relegated. We've not been fantastic, but a draw with Blackpool, a loss on penalties to FGR, and a close defeat to Boro does not make a relegation threatened side.  I'd put this down to a hangover from the depressive effects of last season, and Pearson's present inability to mould this side into anything convincing. 

It's doom-mongering in extremis to suggest this points at a stint in League 1 next season. We'll see how it unfolds. 

Archived