IGNORED

Might we have to accept relegation this season if it's a consequence of Pearson's longer 3 year rebuild?

Top Robin

Ridiculous. Pearson can push the narrative of City being easy street and unfit etc all he likes but the reality is Johnson had this squad competing for playoffs over several years. Holden had us top for a bit before tailing off.

Pearson’s record is as bad if not worse than Holden’s yet everyone seems to be buying into his propaganda.

To answer the original poster, no, absolutely not. Our club have (or should have) moved on from needing a relegation to ‘reset’. Anyone who believes that has been mugged off.

Simply, our manager/head coach needs to do better and get us winning and as a club we need to recruit and ‘trade’ much better than we have in the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Hold out 30 more seconds against Blackpool and this thread doesn't exist. 

But we didn't hold out. You can shorten the game all you like but even if it was just ten minutes long, this team would still have to see it out from 9 minutes 30 seconds until 10 and the whistle blowing. They'd still be fragile in the last minute or seconds of a game, regardless of when they end comes. This team will struggle to "manage" the end, the final minute, to see it out. They'll be dropping back into their own box "inviting" pressure, whereas a better team will be up the other end holding it near the corner flag.

Because we are used to and in the habit of losing now we are always going to be vulnerable holding on to a one goal advantage or holding on to a point.

The fact that Blackpool equalised so late is irrelevant. We were always going to have to manage the final minutes professionally - unless or until we go in to added time three goals clear - and at the moment this group are psychologically fragile and vulnerable at the death.

8 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

But we didn't hold out. You can shorten the game all you like but even if it was just ten minutes long, this team would still have to see it out from 9 minutes 30 seconds until 10 and the whistle blowing. They'd still be fragile in the last minute or seconds of a game, regardless of when they end comes. This team will struggle to "manage" the end, the final minute, to see it out. They'll be dropping back into their own box "inviting" pressure, whereas a better team will be up the other end holding it near the corner flag.

Because we are used to and in the habit of losing now we are always going to be vulnerable holding on to a one goal advantage or holding on to a point.

The fact that Blackpool equalised so late is irrelevant. We were always going to have to manage the final minutes professionally - unless or until we go in to added time three goals clear - and at the moment this group are psychologically fragile and vulnerable at the death.

Every team in the championship (bar a couple) is in the same boat. 

We were the better team. I'm happy with that. If we do that every game we will stay up. 

Realistic expectations, I get your point and wish we could progress to one of those 'couple' but hopefully we will get there one day. 

With the potential team ( if selected ) we can put out, I cannot see how relegation in any way shape or form would be considered acceptable. 

abilty wise

Bentley - top half/ play off contender

kalas - top half/play off contender 

DaSilva - top half/ play off contender 

Baker - top half/play off contender 

James - top half/ play off contender 

Weimann - top half

Martin - top half

Wells - top half ( maybe more if confident )

Massengo - top half

King - top half ( if fit )

Odowda - top half 

Palmer - top half (maybe more if confident)

on top of that, an underbelly of talented youngsters. We should not be near a relegation scrap with our squad. He has a job on his hands, because his hands are tied somewhat due to the Covid impact on finances, but I honestly don’t think Pearson would be thinking about a relegation scrap at the start of the season. We should be fine & steps put in place to really progress next season & beyond. COYR 

Fact is, SL’s looking to sell, and like any vendor he wants the best possible price at the lowest possible outlay. I suspect his plan A is for NP to keep us up this season, which should be time enough for a deal, without significant outlay in transfers or wages. If this doesn’t work- and really I don’t think it will- his plan B will be to sack the manager and hope for a new manager bounce, or open the chequebook in a limited way, or both. I don’t think SL will allow relegation- he can’t afford to; to be sellable we really have to stay in the Championship- but sadly it’s no longer about long term progress or promotion, or the love of the club, just sensible asset management. Quite a fine line to tread, and one other chairman have failed to negotiate without becoming hopelessly alienated from the fans.

43 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Fact is, SL’s looking to sell, and like any vendor he wants the best possible price at the lowest possible outlay. I suspect his plan A is for NP to keep us up this season, which should be time enough for a deal, without significant outlay in transfers or wages. If this doesn’t work- and really I don’t think it will- his plan B will be to sack the manager and hope for a new manager bounce, or open the chequebook in a limited way, or both. I don’t think SL will allow relegation- he can’t afford to; to be sellable we really have to stay in the Championship- but sadly it’s no longer about long term progress or promotion, or the love of the club, just sensible asset management. Quite a fine line to tread, and one other chairman have failed to negotiate without becoming hopelessly alienated from the fans.

I'm not sure that SL is "looking to sell" as such. Otherwise the whole planning application around the Sports Village, would be a very weird way of retreating from your position.

What he does want however I think, is for someone to share his vision/commitment with. It's obvious that he hoped JL would become a driving force for the club's future. But JL either is unwilling or unable to deliver on that front (I suspect the latter, as he's not involved in any senior role in any other SL company).

He's not a young man, and has been at the helm for over 20 years now. He probably looks at the example of someone like Eddie Davies at Bolton, and how that turned out for Bolton after he passed away.

SL wants to create some sort of legacy, and why we haven't been able to get to the PL in his time in office, despite the huge financial contributions he's made to the club, is probably somewhat of a mystery to him.

He probably recognises now that he was sold a dream by the second hand car dealer Ashton; and FFP is tying his hands in the way in which the club can react to the unprecedented covid scenario.

But I fail to believe that SL in his undertakings, generally has anything other than the club's best intentions at heart.

He's made mistakes, but there is no way he would be running the club down to the extent of making it more attractive for another buyer.

The only difference WITH our compared to club's in similar financial circumstances like Derby, Reading, Birmingham, and others that have flouted FFP rules, is that SL is obviously a honourable  businessman who abides by those rules.  The same can't be said for the plethora of dubious foreign owners to try to scam, steal; and fudge their way into the PL.

7 hours ago, Simon79 said:

With the potential team ( if selected ) we can put out, I cannot see how relegation in any way shape or form would be considered acceptable. 

abilty wise

Bentley - top half/ play off contender

kalas - top half/play off contender 

DaSilva - top half/ play off contender 

Baker - top half/play off contender 

James - top half/ play off contender 

Weimann - top half

Martin - top half

Wells - top half ( maybe more if confident )

Massengo - top half

King - top half ( if fit )

Odowda - top half 

Palmer - top half (maybe more if confident)

on top of that, an underbelly of talented youngsters. We should not be near a relegation scrap with our squad. He has a job on his hands, because his hands are tied somewhat due to the Covid impact on finances, but I honestly don’t think Pearson would be thinking about a relegation scrap at the start of the season. We should be fine & steps put in place to really progress next season & beyond. COYR 

Have to agree with the thoughts on the standard of players available, they arent as bad as our form suggests! Whether they are motivated and giving their all and well set up is another matter.

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Have to agree with the thoughts on the standard of players available, they arent as bad as our form suggests! Whether they are motivated and giving their all and well set up is another matter.

I’ve seen no lack of effort so far, the opposite in fact.

As long as we avoid a catastrophic injury list like last season there should certainly be a few teams worse than us.  The spine of the team (Bents, Kalas, Baker, James, Martin & Wells) is comfortably Championship standard & that's before you even mention JD, KP, AW & COD.  However,  think the same point applies now as it did 12 months ago; a fully fit Joe Williams makes a huge difference to us.  James & King have done ok in midfield (& I've been surprised a bit by King) but I do think we lack a bit of legs/dynamism I'm there & Joe would bring that.

Archived