IGNORED

Why did MOTD2 start with Spurs Man City?

PhilC

Pretty annoying. Favouring the big clubs again when the other game had 6 goals.

OK the Spurs City game was better than I expected (Didn't watch either live) but thought it was a bit of a joke!?

Oh and a side note.... Kane was mentioned in the commentary before the game even started.... and now Mark Chapman is saying "They aren't a one man team"... Why mention him then!?

Sorry... late Sunday night rant! ? 

17 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Who cares…. They showed both games, is the order that important?

OK, good point Maesknoll. However I would expect them to show the better game first most of the time, and the point is more favouring the bigger clubs over the better matches. Prefer to have the option of watching the better games first and then choosing not to watch highlights of the other games, which is often the case on a Saturday. Must be getting old.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The bigger question is - why don’t they call Spurs stadium White Hart Lane anymore, given it’s in the same place as the old one!!

Yes, calling it the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium smacks of a lack of imagination rivalled only by the NFL team being repackaged as…the Washington Football Team.

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Yes, calling it the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium smacks of a lack of imagination rivalled only by the NFL team being repackaged as…the Washington Football Team.

Tbf to the Washington Football Team, that is only temporary(supposed to be temporary). Their previous name was deemed culturally inappropriate and they are taking time to come up with something new. 

As for Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, I believe they are open to selling the naming rights to it. So only a matter of time before it is the BT Sports Stadium or something like that

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Tbf to the Washington Football Team, that is only temporary(supposed to be temporary). Their previous name was deemed culturally inappropriate and they are taking time to come up with something new. 

As for Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, I believe they are open to selling the naming rights to it. So only a matter of time before it is the BT Sports Stadium or something like that

Oh yes, I’m not for one minute suggesting Washington should’ve kept its name, was high time it was changed.

Best games is matter of perspective (I'm not sure Newcastle fans would say it was the best game), I watched both 90 mins and if I had to watch the whole 90 mins again I think I would watch the Tottenham Man C game - it was so open and end to end I thought it was excellent. 

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Best games is matter of perspective (I'm not sure Newcastle fans would say it was the best game), I watched both 90 mins and if I had to watch the whole 90 mins again I think I would watch the Tottenham Man C game - it was so open and end to end I thought it was excellent. 

Ah, I see. Cheers that was more like the answer I was looking for. I'd heard Newcastle West Ham was pretty end to end too. 

Not necessarily just favouring big clubs then!

1 hour ago, PhilC said:

Ah, I see. Cheers that was more like the answer I was looking for. I'd heard Newcastle West Ham was pretty end to end too. 

Not necessarily just favouring big clubs then!

I'm going to backtrack like crazy now ?

I'm fairly sure the decision was take before the games actually happened. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Who cares…. They showed both games, is the order that important?

Exactly, but also the reigning champions....with the added bonus of them losing

11 hours ago, PhilC said:

OK, good point Maesknoll. However I would expect them to show the better game first most of the time, and the point is more favouring the bigger clubs over the better matches. Prefer to have the option of watching the better games first and then choosing not to watch highlights of the other games, which is often the case on a Saturday. Must be getting old.

The other thing, having a bit of an unpredictable order of matches means that people are less likely to turn off after the first matches highlights

Would you hve started with Burnley v Brighton. Most Clarets and Seagulls would consider that the no.1 game but most neutrals have been intrigued by the Harry Kane story - see new post. And as an aside the BBC do everything they think is right (type of commentators, analysts etc etc) and have never cared about their viewers

Sorry if this has been said already, but surely the fact that the reigning champions (and some peoples favourites this season) lost was a major factor. A 1-0 City win might have been placed after the Newcastle match? 

I like to watch MOTD without knowing the scores, but you can often guess the outcome by where a match appears in the running order ?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Exactly, but also the reigning champions....with the added bonus of them losing

The other thing, having a bit of an unpredictable order of matches means that people are less likely to turn off after the first matches highlights

Does anyone actually watch it 'live' on tv anymore. I always watch on iplayer, Sunday / Monday morning. Skip through all the talk / analysis (unless Wrighty and Shearer are on) and just watch the football. Took about 15 minutes this morning. Yes I still do the Likely Lads thing and try to ignore all the Premier league scores so I have no idea what is going to happen during each game.

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Does anyone actually watch it 'live' on tv anymore. I always watch on iplayer, Sunday / Monday morning. Skip through all the talk / analysis (unless Wrighty and Shearer are on) and just watch the football. Took about 15 minutes this morning. Yes I still do the Likely Lads thing and try to ignore all the Premier league scores so I have no idea what is going to happen during each game.

Personally I can't think of anything I watch as broadcast except sport, but would guess there is still a generation that does watch as broadcast and probably not knowing all the scores

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Personally I can't think of anything I watch as broadcast except sport, but would guess there is still a generation that does watch as broadcast and probably not knowing all the scores

Correct, for me I still (very) occasionally watch on a Saturday or Sunday without knowing the scores. Now you mention it,  the fact I knew the scores yesterday probably made me create this thread in the first place, although I think we've established why they were shown in the order they were.

Just to clarify, I didn't lose any sleep over it, I just wondered what the opinions were that might have prompted the decision.

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

I'm going to backtrack like crazy now ?

I'm fairly sure the decision was take before the games actually happened. 

I'm not sure that's the case on a Saturday but you may well be right!

13 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The bigger question is - why don’t they call Spurs stadium White Hart Lane anymore, given it’s in the same place as the old one!!

Much like barca with unicef, the damage has been done in disguise. 

That stadium will be sponsored, and it won't be long. 

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Personally think City are going after the wrong Tottenham striker. Son is a better all round player and would fit in to City's fluid attacking play much better. Too late now as he signed a new contract at the start of the summer.

Never understood how any Bristol City fan could refer to any other club as 'City'? :dunno: Unless of course you are suggesting that we could afford Kane or Son...

• Admin
1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

Ah, the ”Likely Lads”!

I hate to admit I did the same thing over a Somerset cricket match and the game that was on Sky, turned out it was abandoned due to rain without a ball being bowled. When a number of friends were trying to warn me not to worry about the result

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Never understood how any Bristol City fan could refer to any other club as 'City'? :dunno: Unless of course you are suggesting that we could afford Kane or Son...

To be fair, it felt wrong writing it. However as the topic was clearly about Manchester City and Tottenham I thought I could get away with it.

.....anyway aren't we known as 'Bristol'

Archived