IGNORED

Why did MOTD2 start with Spurs Man City?

PhilC

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I hate to admit I did the same thing over a Somerset cricket match and the game that was on Sky, turned out it was abandoned due to rain without a ball being bowled. When a number of friends were trying to warn me not to worry about the result

I did this once with an England qualifier while we were playing football, wanted to watch in full when I got in. Turned out to be one of those boring 0-0s under McLaren (i think)

21 hours ago, PhilC said:

OK, good point Maesknoll. However I would expect them to show the better game first most of the time, and the point is more favouring the bigger clubs over the better matches. Prefer to have the option of watching the better games first and then choosing not to watch highlights of the other games, which is often the case on a Saturday. Must be getting old.

I run a pedandtry Rehab centre.....if your'e interested? ?

20 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The bigger question is - why don’t they call Spurs stadium White Hart Lane anymore, given it’s in the same place as the old one!!

It's now a turds shadow off white Hart lane.

I guess it's easier to sell the name now. 

3 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

It's a what now?

6 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Never understood how any Bristol City fan could refer to any other club as 'City'? :dunno: Unless of course you are suggesting that we could afford Kane or Son...

Spot on! I hate how so many fans have fallen into line behind the ‘media fawning’ by referring to Manchester City as just City and expecting the whole world to know who they are talking about ... we beat Manchester City in league games at Ashton Gate in both 1977 and 1979 - was anyone (including @Sir Geoff) referring to our opponents as City then?! 

16 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Never understood how any Bristol City fan could refer to any other club as 'City'? :dunno: Unless of course you are suggesting that we could afford Kane or Son...

Interesting one this. All about context and perspective.

Personally I think it’s acceptable shorthand within the context of a thread that’s very clearly about Spurs v Man City.

And like it or not, in the wider football world they’ve achieved a hell of a lot more than us to earn the right to the “City” shorthand - in the same way that football fans talk about “United”, we understand they don’t usually mean Dundee or Rotherham.

Similarly for us when we talk about “Rovers” we know that doesn’t mean Blackburn, because of our local perspective.

46 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting one this. All about context and perspective.

Personally I think it’s acceptable shorthand within the context of a thread that’s very clearly about Spurs v Man City.

And like it or not, in the wider football world they’ve achieved a hell of a lot more than us to earn the right to the “City” shorthand - in the same way that football fans talk about “United”, we understand they don’t usually mean Dundee or Rotherham.

Similarly for us when we talk about “Rovers” we know that doesn’t mean Blackburn, because of our local perspective.

Thank you. As stated earlier it didnt feel right using the term 'City' when not referring to us. However as the thread was clearly about Tottenham v Man City, I loosely used the term City.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on! I hate how so many fans have fallen into line behind the ‘media fawning’ by referring to Manchester City as just City and expecting the whole world to know who they are talking about ... we beat Manchester City in league games at Ashton Gate in both 1977 and 1979 - was anyone (including @Sir Geoff) referring to our opponents as City then?! 

I have no idea what I called them back in those days...I know some of the words I used to describe them when a couple of us (15 yrs old) were confronted by a 100 strong group of their fans at the back of the Kippax on our first away game in the 1st Division...and they are not repeatable on this forum.

9 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I have no idea what I called them back in those days...I know some of the words I used to describe them when a couple of us (15 yrs old) were confronted by a 100 strong group of their fans at the back of the Kippax on our first away game in the 1st Division...and they are not repeatable on this forum.

Which season was that? I don’t remember ever playing Man City away as our first away game in any of the seasons we were last in the top flight? Man City away was always moody though ... those Moss Side backstreets were not nice for away fans to navigate ...

On 16/08/2021 at 14:01, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't watch MOTD anymore but if I was in charge of programming and wanted viewers to watch until the end I would put the games with the most goals on last. 

This. They don't want to show the most popular match first, then have everyone turn it off. When Man Utd were at their prime (and as the prem team with most non-local fans), you could pretty much guarantee they'd be the last game on MOTD most weeks.

Archived